World Controller
World Controller

[Review] The Matrix Reloaded

Post by Kajun »

The Matrix Reloaded
Cinematic Release Date: 21/05/2003
Rated: 15
Directors: Larry and Andy Wachowski
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, Laurence Fishburne, Hugo Weaving, Gloria Foster, Monica Bellucci, Lambert Wilson

Overview

The Matrix Reloaded is the half-sequel to The Matrix, the philoso-shoot-em-up thriller that crashed down to earth and shook up pretty much every aspect of the film industry. It will be followed by it's second half, Matrix Revolutions, in November. The story continues on from where the Matrix left us, with Neo acruing super-human powers allowing him to manipulate the Matrix (the pseudo-existence that humans treat as reality) in more powerful ways than any other. Ultimately the story revolves around this power and how to use it to prevent destruction. As many reviews have noted though, in plot terms, we'll have to wait until the finale to see how deep the rabbit hole really goes...

Cinematography

As before, this is ground-breaking stuff. Literally. The action sequences are as breath-taking as they are incomprehensible - one finds you easily lapse and forget that movies still need to be created by people, even with the aid of machines, and you have to snap back into realising what an accomplishment this visual feast is. The Wachowski's have a Style, perhaps just one, but it's a good 'un and provides a common link between the films. Very little to fault here - apart from perhaps certain scenes where camerawork obscures the top of folk's heads :)

Effects/Action/Sound

:o The much-talked about Multiple-Agent-Smith scenes are incredibly dense: however, it isn't so much the illusion of having so many clones that provides the thrills here, but the choreography and the constantly ramping-it-up-a-gear speed of conflict. You may find one scene seems to drag on a little bit, until Neo picks up something...

Zion is beautifully created and lit, and naturally the bullet-time / flo-mo sequences are awesome; you will need your rewind button for the DVD.

And the freeway scene? Fabulous. I don't know if it compares to Bullitt ;) but in terms of photography and sheer joyride thrill, ye cannae come much closer.

Thankfully we witnessed the film in a THX cinema, which although loud, gave an excellent display of the effect that good surround-sound can have on a film on this nature. Bullets whiz by (on the rare occasion where Neo doesn't just stop 'em) close to the ear, and the rumble of distant explosions provides an intense atmosphere to keep you attached to the screen.

Is that enough, though?

Characters/Story

For the most part, acting is well-suited and ignorable - it doesn't bug you and you don't notice that these aren't just overpaid geeks. Apart from Laurence Fisburne. In the latter half of the film, he resumes his role of power and authority in the cool, subtle way we expect having seen the Matrix, but the first hour felt very stiff and contrived, despite the position the plot places him in. Whether this was a bad performance by Laurence or a misjudgement by the Wachowskis, I'm not sure.

Or maybe I am. The first hour does feel very contrived. Character development seems strained and exists merely to serve a purpose - we encounter this a little later in the film. At times it becomes a little boring - the slow-mo scenes in Zion seemed a little redundant, considering we have had no previous experience of the place and that this particular instance is an extraordinary one - i.e. this isn't an accurate portrayal of the typical environment, so why bother? It continues into the fleshing out of the new characters - one review has commented that the introduction of Niobe and her sole is purely to provide fuel and linkage fo
r the Enter The Matrix game. I agree. Too much of the early stages of the film seems to have been kludgingly introduced for no reason other than to bring in the second half of the film, and Revolutions; and whether it's worth the rush remains to be seen. At times it just felt a little tiring, a little AOTC-ian, a little "but you've got so much else you could be saying, doing!"

Conclusion

However, this is a masterful conglomerate of talent. The action choreography and effects are spot on, and will probably merit another making-of DVD; apart from the early stages, the film does run at a good pace and rarely drops your attention. As in the first, the philosophical undertones (and overtures) are perplexingly introduced, and add that sparkling element to the whole nature of the Matrix, even though this is 17th century stuff :P But in the end, The Matrix Reloaded simply lacks the mystery and charm that the first film impacted on us so strongly.

That may not be a flaw of the film - we may now just understand the idea of the Matrix and the expanded possibilities better now, rather than the hello-wake-up factor of the red and blue pills; we may also be 'used' to bullet-time - but nonetheless it is notable that this is just a film; it won't spawn thousands of Reloaded fan-sites, because they already exist within the Matrix fan sites. The problem is, and it's from no fault of the creators, that the Matrix is not just a film, nor a trilogy, nor a phenomenon, but a mode of thinking. Once you've planted the seed, you begin to grow it yourself - you don't really need all the extra bits to fill in the gaps, or to try and expand their conceptualisation of what's going on, because you're already doing a little of it yourself. Essentially, The Matrix can exist without Reloaded (and Revolutions?), but Reloaded can't exist (or at least can't be a box office smash) without The Matrix. That's inevitable and unmovable: just recognise that this film is an evolution rather than a revolution.

7/10
(subject to extensive revision and a complete U-turn in November :twisted: )
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

On a tangent, if you missed out on the mini-feature Beat The Devil, you can download it from http://www.bmwfilms.com

:)
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

When I first went to see the Matrix back in 1999 ( I think it was) I had no clue what it was about. I left the cinema in awe.

The Magic isn't quite there with the second film. It's still a good film (I think Kajun's score of 7/10) is probably a good score to give it. But there's just something not quite right about the film.
hanohtep is saying is that the material world doesn't work that way
"Goat Boy is here to please you..."
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

All I know is I hope the evil dread-locked twins are back in the next film. They were my favourite in Reloaded!!!!
Mike Barnette, US
:roll:

BBC Online readers report back...
Charmaka
Alpha (Conditioned)
Alpha (Conditioned)

Post by Charmaka »

Decided this was the wrong thread :P
"Why do you hate America so much?"(TM)
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Sorry 'bout the formatting, haven't got the time to fix at the moment.
Egypt Bans 'Matrix' Sequel on Religious Grounds
Censorship committee cites movie's handling of "origin of creation
and the issue of compulsion and free will."

The Associated Press
Cairo, June 10--(AP) Egyptian censors have banned the international box
office hit "The Matrix Reloaded" on religious grounds and what they
described as the film's excessive violence.

The head of the Egyptian censorship body in charge of audio and visual
productions said Tuesday that the country's highest film committee
decided Monday not to allow the movie to be shown. "There is no specific
scene to which the committee objected but it is about the movie as a
whole," Madkour Thabit, the head of censorship body, told The Associated
Press on Tuesday.
The 15-member committee is made up of film critics, professors, writers
and psychologists. It watched the Warner Bros. movie and held a
discussion before voting to ban it.

It a statement, the committee said that "despite the high technology and
fabulous effects of the movie, it explicitly handles the issue of
existence and creation, which are related to the three divine religions,
which we all respect and believe in."

It said the movie "tackles the issue of the creator and his creations,
searching the origin of creation and the issue of compulsion and free
will."

It added that "such religious issues, raised in previous times, caused
crises."

"The Matrix Reloaded," is the second sequel of a trilogy directed and
written by Larry and Andy Wachowski. The first installment, "The
Matrix," was released in 1999. The third sequel concludes this November
with "The Matrix Revolutions." The Matrix Reloaded stars Keanu Reeves,
Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss and addition to Monica Bellucci.

The statement said violent scenes in the movie also played a role in the
decision to ban it.

"Screening the movie may cause troubles and harm social peace," the
statement said.

The first Matrix film was shown in Egypt but was criticized by some
Islamic newspapers after they claimed it espoused Zionism.

"The press launched a campaign to stop showing the movie, saying that it
reflects Zionist ideas, and promotes Jewish and Zionist beliefs," said
Wael Abdel Fatah, an Egyptian movie critic. Abdel Fatah added "that is
why they are very cautious, to avoid any criticism this year."
heavy-rotation
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by heavy-rotation »

Hmm.

I was pretty underwhelmed to be honest. It just seemed to be

10 Pretentious dialog
20 Fight
30 GOTO 10

more or less. Waaaayyy tooo muucchhh sllooowww mooottttiooonnn, particularly in the Smith fight (ok, it was needed at points as obviously he was moving rather quickly, but not to the point that every time he jumps they slow it down. plus... bowling pin crash noise right at the end of it when he lets go of the smith he's been swinging around? wtf? it's not a cartoon!)

I did quite enjoy it, but I'd probably more around the 5 or 6 out of 10 mark. I reserve the right to change my opinion when revolutions is released though ;).

I found the discussion had after the film more interesting than the film iteslf to be totally honest.
heavy-rotation
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by heavy-rotation »

Also, on the original matrix:
The difference between an original and a good copy is that a copy lacks all merit. "The Matrix" (The Wachowsky Brothers, 1999) is a copy in all the aspects of "Dark City" (Alex Proyas, 1998). The history, the photography, the atmosphere, the coloring, the lighting.. All of it has been copied, to very precise details. But while "The Matrix" has been a flat-out success, "Dark City" has passed almost unnoticed. Therefore, this comparison does not intend to do anything thing more then to do a little justice to the marvelous movie that is the ORIGINAL one.

If you have the two movies at hand, we recommend you conduct an interesting experiment: to See "Dark City" first and "The Matrix" afterwards... considering that there is a year of difference among both productions.

But if do not you have both films at hand, take a look at these 30 photos. In each one of them a still is compared of "Dark City" (to the left), and of "The Matrix" (to the right). They are only some of them I suspect to be coincidences that exist among both movies; in reality there is many more, but these will give you a good idea.

http://galeon.hispavista.com/cinerama/a ... rkcity.htm
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Dark City is a good film, and the similarities are noticeable.

Also, after Kajun mentioned something to me I checked out the anime Ghost in the Shell by Misume Shirow and some of the similarities between The Matrix and that are striking too - right down to the scrolling Green characters at the start of the film.
hanohtep is saying is that the material world doesn't work that way
"Goat Boy is here to please you..."
Bat
Regional Controller
Regional Controller

Post by Bat »

Dark City is cool. Angel from Home and Away is in it 8)
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Bitchin'. It's the 10th October folks. That means...

MATRIX DVD TIME

£10 off the RRP, 2 discs for £16.99. Nice one. Super. I am the one. And only. <bang>
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Having seen the divvid, I'm inclined to drop my score by one point, pending viewing of Revolutions. (which the BBC, BTW, think is crap). It's just more mundane and normal than expected. The Architect thing is really just a rip out of the Truman Show. Trinity is the Mother of the Matrix. It's all going to come down.
Charmaka
Alpha (Conditioned)
Alpha (Conditioned)

Post by Charmaka »

Watched reloaded again at the weekend, with several people including some that have seen neither film. Conclusions drawn:

1) The good guys all wear sunglasses, everywhere.
2) Not to be confused with the bad guys, who wear sunglasses and suits
3) Keanu Reeves cannot smile; he was born without his charisma muscles.
4) The Zion meeting (prior to the rave) looks like a Law lecture.
5) The bad dude in Zion is clearly evil as he has a beard.
6) The "Smith" fight scene looks like Max Payne. A LOT like Max Payne.
Charmaka
Alpha (Conditioned)
Alpha (Conditioned)

Post by Charmaka »

Oh, and 7) Tailored trenchcoats are NOT cool, because
a) You can't hide weapons under them and
b) it just looks like you're wearing a dress

NO!