Please dump Internet Explorer

A gramme is better than a damn! Pull up a chair, have a drink, and banter.

Moderator: Thought Police

Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Please dump Internet Explorer

Post by Kajun »

Hi everyone,

ixyl doesn't support Internet Explorer, because Internet Explorer is buggy, doesn't support web standards, and is crucially virus-prone. All this would be OK, if it weren't for the fact that Internet Explorer isn't going to be properly updated in the near future.

So it's time for you all to change. Use Firefox. It's a relatively small download, for a browser that doesn't break.

This month alone, the Scob virus showed us how much of a danger running IE and Microsoft server software is. Even if you're patched up (most people aren't, especially on dial-up, because the files are 'huge), you still aren't safe.

And you're missing out on things like tabbed browsing, standard popup blockers, and properly displayed web pages that comply to common standards that were actually agreed and proposed by some of the Microsoft folks. I have nothing against them bods at all, they've been doing work, but somewhere along the line, it all went to mush and it's time for us to change.

Even Chris Pirillo at Lockergnome wants you to change. Eric Meyer wants you to change. The Internet Storm Centre says you should stop using IE immediately. It's like holding a gun to your head.

I could name many more prominent web gurus and users alike who would urge you to switch to another browser - Firefox, Opera, Camino, Safari, are all good options, but we at ixyl prefer Firefox. It's free, it's open source, it's being continuously developed and improved, and it doesn't break.

This isn't for my or other web developer's benefit. It doesn't make my coding life any 'easier' if everyone dumps IE - but that's because I ignore its existence anyway. Internet Explorer is out of date and is broken. Yet you use it to conduct much of your online activity. Imagine it's your car. Would you use it?
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Zathras
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Zathras »

If Firefox would stop missing off the first n bytes off an http response and rendering random webpages as plain text source or offering me a save box instead of displaying the page, I'd be a happy man. It may be my router, but it sure as heck doesn't happen with IE :(

[grr it's really broken]
Last edited by Zathras on Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zathras
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Zathras »

If Firefox would stop missing off the first n bytes off an http response and rendering random webpages as plain text source or offering me a save box instead of displaying the page, I'd be a happy man. It may be my router, but it sure as heck doesn't happen with IE :(

Bloody hell, it's just happened with this submit page. There goes the idea that it's badly written pages or faulty servers :(
jonesc2ii
Minister of Propaganda

Post by jonesc2ii »

I'm using Firefox and it's beautiful.
ixyl - your post-coital political portal
jonesc2ii
Minister of Propaganda

Post by jonesc2ii »

But I'm pissed most of the time! Anyone who's interested Mozilla Firefox, Google it, get it, many magazines have it on the cd/DVD I've eliminaed about half of the crap I used to get, you can open web pages in new tabs instead of new windows AND it doesn't pick up much of the crap that IE picks up.

I was going to post a new thread to recommend it but this thread means I don't have to! Get it, be gone with Internet Explorer and get on with your life!
ixyl - your post-coital political portal
Zathras
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Zathras »

Aye, I absolutely love it to pieces, it's just bloody annoying that it's doing this. Hopefully a completely new reinstall, new profile, new users files and the latest trunk build (optimised of course) has put paid to it. I'll just have to wait and see.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Zathras wrote:There goes the idea that it's badly written pages
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

I don't see much in Bugzilla about it Zathras. Might be worth reporting, trouble is there's not much specific to say.
Zathras
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Zathras »

Reinstall and fresh profile seems to have fixed it. Despite having an almost compleltely fresh profile for 0.9(+)I copied across my user.js from 0.8 and before. There must have been some problems with it.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

For the third time in a month, an Internet Explorer security hole is found. I won't tell you again. (I will, actually. Time and time over)