[GPG] Add's Choice: Fade to Black - Metallica

Talent abounds in the <a href="http://gpg.ixyl.co.uk">guitar playing group</a>, where our contributors reinterpret classics and modern tracks.

Moderator:Thought Police

Add
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus
[GPG] Add's Choice: Fade to Black - Metallica

Post by Add » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:38 pm

i think this is a perfect mix of clean and dirty and possibly one of metallica's best there are a lot of tabs on mysongbook for it here up to you which you use :)

hope you like

oh, and on the main page there are a couple of nominations that say they are from me but they arnt, dunno how that happened :?

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:16 pm

This is a great song. What makes this interesting is the fact that we did this last year. I really hope to see some progress or It'll be really depressing. I'm thinking this time round I should have the speed to do the solos properly. :D

Add
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by Add » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:21 pm

oops, didnt spot that you'd done it before, if you want i could pick a different one, it's up to you :oops:

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:45 pm

I don't really mind either way. Let's see what the others feel.

Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:07 pm

I am easy :lol: ....I sort of like the challenge of playing something new but I,ll go with the majority on this one :) and it is a great song ..as Dani says I hope I would have improved ...but who knows lol :oops:

Add- funny you should say about those submissions in the list I wondered about those appearing :)

Wolf ;)

Ice
Master of Melody
Location:Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:37 pm

I don't mind tbh - it's whatever other people think. I like the challenge of doing something new, but at the minute I might not have time to learn stuff as well as I'd like, so refreshing a classic might be a good compromise :)

Seems like Darren has the deciding vote on this!

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:45 am

Ooh, I'm starting to get excited about redoing this song. There's quite a bit I could've done better last time, and that I can now. I tried the solo and it's going fine at 130 bpm, and I have every reason to believe that with some practice it'll be flowing smoothly at 144. the funny thing is that this lick in the solo:

--------7-----------------7-------------------
-----------10^7-------------10^7-----------
-9b-------------9b------------------9b-----
------------------------------------------------

is going very well indeed, and it's other parts that I'm having problems with. That's the one I was having most problems with last time.

Since everyone knows this song more or less already I think it would be a nice, quick one. The last one did take us quite a bit, so it might be nice to do one that we could all get done a bit faster. (Oh yeah, sorry Add, I forgot that you might not know this one :oops: :D )

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:47 pm

I vote we do it.

I could do with relearning it anyway, as i've forgot almost all the solo, and the harmonies.

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:43 pm

Nice! :D

Nick_cor
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Hows it going

Post by Nick_cor » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:39 am

Okie dokie :) I'm getting my Tascam Dp-01 on the 24th.. so probably on the 26 i'll submit the song :) I can't wait.. I'm also getting a marhsall amp:) But the only thing in my way is this stupid Geography ISU * independet study unit* thats due when i get back from holidays .. which is the 3rd.. I haven't even started .. so i'm pretty screwed.. but i'll do my best:)

Long live Randy rhoads

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:48 pm

What am i upto?

Stage 1. The enquiry.
Stage 2. The deposit
Stage 3. The waiting.

Ice
Master of Melody
Location:Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:50 pm

Vintage white aye? :D Niiiiice :)

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:43 pm

I'll let you all know when it's due in the country.

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:48 pm

*drool* :D

I'm trying to save up to that amp I fell in love with a couple of months back. But it seems I'm terrible at saving money. :? And now with the general christmas spending spree at hand... Things don't look bright on the amp front.

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:21 pm

That's bad news DGV. To be honest, this guitar is the last thing i still want, so i'm buying it now so that i can get saving some money myself.

By the way, i STILL don't have an amp. I think it's been 18 months now since i gave it back to its original owner for repair. I could have learned about valve technology and rebuilt it from scratch myself in that time.

I might get it back and see if i can part exchange (or maybe even straight swap) it for something more modern.

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:36 pm

It's a good thing that you're able to put an end to your GAS cravings. I've seen guys over the internet that have gone so far overboard that it's not even funny.

I've been trying to find a job to work at during the semester part-time. I've got a few applications in and my fingers crossed. If I am able to find a suitable job my first paycheck will definitely go into that amp. :D Otherwise it'll probably take until spring. But I am getting that amp sooner or later.

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:52 pm

http://www.kolumbus.fi/realit/DGV-FTB.mp3

Well dammit, now I'm satisfied. :D I was able to do the "hard parts" of the solo, most especially the lick whose tab I posted earlier. I can forgive myself all the other mistakes when I nailed the part that I couldn't last time and which actually is sort of hard.

Oh, I sang too. Think what my neighbours had to endure. :bg:

Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:05 pm

Very nice work DGV :D Nice playing throughout. Your timing was a wee bit loose on the start of the solo but you got it back pretty well (and did very well to learn it this quickly lol). Good job ;)

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:33 pm

Thanks for the comments Ice. There actually was quite a bit to learn since the first time I left all the harder bits away and did some sort of improv instead. Some of it was still fairly well in my memory.

Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:20 pm

Must admit I was impressed ..had a very nice feel about it and flowed very nicely :D

The singing was definatley better and sounded pretty cool .The acoustic tone sat in the mix very nicely and I thought your guitar also sounded more meaty and clear .I thought the4 solo was pretty dam good once you got into it..nice to hear how you,ve improved on bits you couldnt play a while back ...Give yourself a pat on the back :D

Must admit I dont know whether I,ll do this ...I really dont like the song much ..cant play the second acoustic bit and generally am not really motivated to learn it but might suprise myself but probably not :lol: ....I suppose it's a case of doing it before and not really enjoying it then ...

Wolf ;)

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:36 pm

Thanks Wolf!

Sorry to hear you aren't motivated by this song. It's probably because there's all that fingerpicky type stuff. :? I really like the bit right after the tempo change. It's a pleasure for me to play. Anyway, if you don't feel like doing it, sit this one out and stun us all with the next one. :D

I just listened to my last year's version. I remembered that it was one of the songs where I did well. Let's just say that the year has seen a lot of progress. :bg:

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:48 pm

Very nice DGV. As Pete said, the timing was a bit off in places, but the playing was top notch. I really liked the singing too.

Wolf. Sorry to hear you don't like the track, IMO, it's a Metallica classic.

I've been recording this myself over the last couple of days, so mine should be done soon.

PS. Still no word on the guitar.

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:49 pm

Thanks for the comments. Like I said, I forgave my little faults and errors like the timing (I mean, it's a minor thing, right? :bg:) since I was so pleased with having managed the hard parts. :D I decided that at this stage they make up for the other stuff. Btw, it's a good thing that the solo isn't much longer since my fingers were always getting pretty tired at the end (at full speed). This became most noticeable in the last bends that I just couldn't get high anywhere near high enough.

This solo is definitely one I'll keep working on.

Add
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by Add » Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:42 pm

appart from the last bends like u said it sounded spot on to me, good job

Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:53 pm

Bigpops wrote:
Wolf. Sorry to hear you don't like the track, IMO, it's a Metallica classic.

I
I suppose I like it as in listening ..I just dont enjoy playing it :P (or trying too)

Wolf ;)