[GPG] Bigpops' choice - Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne.

Talent abounds in the <a href="http://gpg.ixyl.co.uk">guitar playing group</a>, where our contributors reinterpret classics and modern tracks.

Moderator:Thought Police

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin
[GPG] Bigpops' choice - Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne.

Post by Bigpops » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:34 pm

Randy Rhoads. Enough said.

Knock yourselves out guys.

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:39 pm

Nice choice! Just what I need at the moment!

Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:10 pm

Cool ..I,ll give it a go :D

Wolf ;)

Nick_cor
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

where do i post mine?

Post by Nick_cor » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:38 pm

where do i post mine?

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:35 pm

You'll need some webspace to put yours up onto, then put a link here. If you have trouble finding space atm you can give me a holler and I can host your file.

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:58 pm

Well damn it if I wasn't tricked by my dad. :lol: My dad had rung my mate that's putting the lacquer on my guitar and told him to delay the process a little bit, so that I'd be forced to wait. The logic behind this is that having the guitar would keep me away from my studies. I guess I should be angry with my dad but I can't help but smile, especially since I now heard that it is in fact ready (apparently has been for some time). Anyway, we agreed that I'd pick it up on Friday or Saturday, when he has time. :D That'll work rather nicely as I'll have all weekend to put the pickups on and get everything sorted.

Oh, in the meantime I'm having a whole lot of fun with this song. It's my introduction course to tapping, really, and I'm liking it quite a bit. And the rythmn is great to play.

Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:06 pm

I can imagine how you feel ...but study/exam results will stay with you for life...whereas I am sure you,ll get through lots of guitars..so I think that was a pretty cool thing Daddy DGV did :D ...and at least you know now it's done now ...:)

I look forward to seeing and hearing the finished item...as I am sure do you :lol: ..I expect your saving crazy train for it 8)

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:08 pm

Thats good news about the body. Don't forget the pics.

I've just bought the Metal shop model pack for my XT live. Boy has it got some great amps:

JCM 900 Clean channel
JCM 900 Lead channel
JCM2000 OD2 channel
1985 Marshall Silver Jubilee
Bogner Uberschall
Diezel VH4 Channel 4
Diezel Herbert
ENGL Powerball
Mesa Boogie 2001 Triple Rectifier
Peavey 5150 MkII (The main reason i bought the pack)

Aswell as some Line6 original ones which are made by combining pre and power stages of different amps.

I'll get the classic pack next month i think.

mak
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by mak » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:36 pm

Hi! :D

Introduced myself in another thread, and Bigpops said I can dive right in, so here i am.

Well, this track sounds great, i only heard the powertab file, but the rhythm is very interesting and appealling, and the solo sounds....um..well i'll have a shot at it.. I will be most chuffed if I can pull that off needless to say. :P

I'll see about getting the GP4 file...'my songbook', isnt it?

Oh, before i forget, is the beginning of the solo tapped?

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:50 pm

Yeah, study has to go first unfortunately. I'd have to be a helluva lot better than I am in order for it to be my top priority. So it's reduced to being just my passion. :D

Studying is useful from time to time, btw. I met an old army buddy today at classes who's moved into town for uni, and seems he's a guitar player. So some jamming might be in order. :D

Bigpops, there really is all you need in the metal zone imho. You've got pretty much all mandatory sounds covered with those amps. Very, very nice list of amps.

I've read great things about diezels but haven't played or heard them, really. Are they as good as they supposedly are? Also Bogners I haven't heard, a store has just started importing them here. Are they good?

mak: the beginning of the solo is indeed tapped, and at least according to my guitar pro tab (which sounds just about right to me) there are some little taps later on as well. New technique to me tbh, but doesn't seem to be as hard as I'd expected.

mak
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by mak » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:16 pm

This is my favourite tapper, great stuff. http://www.bobzabek.com/

Very unconventional, very well written. Journey of the Butterfly in particular.

Anyway, back to Crazy Train! :)

Oh btw, i found this backing for anyone without guitar pro (me then :oops: )
http://www.midi-tab.com/downloads/Ozzy_ ... _train.mid

Mike[/url]

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:56 pm

Not a bad backing track.

You can use the trial version of Guitarpro 4 just fine,you know. All it stops you doing is saving tabs, which for our purposes is irrelevant.

mak
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by mak » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:59 pm

Yes, I have created a better backing using the demo now, still I suppose after 30 days i have to redownload it?

Ice
Master of Melody
Location:Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:13 pm

Really fun track to play, I'm doing the Randy Rhodes live version from MySongbook as I like the idea of it all being one guitar. Very tricky to nail things as smoothly as him but I can now give it a lot more time thanks to exams being over :D

Add
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by Add » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:04 am

can't say that i actually know this song, i've been listening to it on repeat for a while though, should get to know it pretty quick :)

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:26 pm

Add wrote:can't say that i actually know this song,
:shock:

In that case, welcome to the fantastic world of Randy Rhoads. I recommend you also listen to 'Revelation mother earth' aswell. Infact, listen to the first two Ozzy albums, but specifically the first one - Blizzard of Oz.

I hope you like the track anyway.

Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:35 pm

Must admit I have always prefered Jake. E. Lee to Randy ....Ozzy has a knack of finding great guitar players :D

Wolf ;)

mak
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by mak » Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:14 pm

:bg:
I have almost got the solo down, but right now its kinda segmented when i play it. For me at least the hardest part of this song seems to be learning the chorus rhythm... :?
I reckon its more complex than it sounds, with all the harmonics and variations with the chords, and remembering where to play those little fills.
I think I might have to do my own little version (yes i'm pretty impatient :P )

Mike

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:12 pm

Good to hear that you're enthusiastic about this. Looking forward to hearing you play.

I just came home with my clear coated guitar. :D Nice work, I must say. The only thing that bothers me is that on the backside some defects in the wood show a bit too much. Doesn't really matter though, as it is the backside, after all. Soundclips and photos arriving once I get the pickups installed etc. (Hope the soldering goes well :wink: I really have evry little experience)

Ice
Master of Melody
Location:Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:28 pm

Cool mak, I look forward to hearing your first stuff :)

DGV - Glad to hear you got the guitar back... One tip for soldering. Have a wet sponge nearby, and more importantly, put an old towel over the guitar where you aren't soldering to protect the finish from any drops of solder etc ;)

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:22 am

Thanks for the tip mate. :D I'll be doing it with my dad as he has quite a bit more experience with soldering. Should be okay.

Only problem now is actually that I'm missing a pair of screws. They'd become rather rusty so they were nigh on impossible to take out (I'm talking about the screws that hold the pickups in place) so I had to be rather brutal to get them out, so they're unusable. Anyway, I hadn't got new ones since I rather thought the EMG pack would've had them, but since it didn't I'll have to get some on Monday.

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:36 pm

I too will be soldering today. I've got my new pots and switch for my Strat. This coupled with my shield will make it more like the American vintage '62.

Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:57 pm

Bars 52 & 53 are a bit tricky lol... :|

mak
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by mak » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:24 pm

Ice wrote:Bars 52 & 53 are a bit tricky lol... :|
I may have a different tab......which bit is that?

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:37 pm

The bit with the "long fingers" comment? Yeah, I can't quite nail it in time. I lag a bit behind in one bit and then I spend the rest of the lick trying to catch up. :lol:

What on earth does long fingers mean??? :lol: