[GPG] DGV: Deep Purple - Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming

Talent abounds in the <a href="http://gpg.ixyl.co.uk">guitar playing group</a>, where our contributors reinterpret classics and modern tracks.

Moderator: Thought Police

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

[GPG] DGV: Deep Purple - Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming

Post by DGV »

Just about my favourite Deep Purple song. Starts slow, and has quite a buildup. And this song is all about FEEL. And then there's a killer solo as well. Just a brilliant song, I'm sure you'll like it.

I'd suggest mysongbook's [2] version of this, it sounds about right. However, I'd also suggest disregarding a lot of the tab's artificial harmonics, as I believe most of them are really just played an octave higher. In the song only one bit actually clearly sounds like it's played with harmonics, other than that I'm just jumping it 12 frets, as it sounds cleaner and, quite frankly, better.

Have fun.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Cool never heard it before (well I dont think so anyhow )

Wolf ;)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

I only heard it the other day (on your recommendation)

I have to say. It's one of the best song i've ever heard.

I can't wait to get it under my fingers.
mak
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by mak »

Very nice song, i'll get right to work on it once i finish the Bodom one :)

http://www.ernieball.com/smy2d/main.html
found these morse vids; in the middle of the last one, Morse plays part of this track and you can see him doing these odd harmonics. maybe those are what the tab indicates?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/m4n14kal_music.htm
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Bit of bad news today...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm

The music industry is to extend its copyright war by taking legal action against websites offering unlicensed song scores and lyrics.

The Music Publishers' Association (MPA), which represents US sheet music companies, will launch its first campaign against such sites in 2006.

MPA president Lauren Keiser said he wanted site owners to be jailed.

Guitar licks and song scores are widely available on the internet but are "completely illegal", he told the BBC.

Mr Keiser said he did not just want to shut websites and impose fines, saying if authorities can "throw in some jail time I think we'll be a little more effective".

Bitter battles

The move comes after several years of bitter legal battles against unauthorised services allowing users to download recordings for free.

Publishing companies have taken action against websites in the past, but this will be the first co-ordinated legal campaign by the MPA.

The MPA would target "very big sites that people would think are legitimate and very, very popular", Mr Keiser said.

"The Xerox machine was the big usurper of our potential income," he said. "But now the internet is taking more of a bite out of sheet music and printed music sales so we're taking a more proactive stance."

Music publishers and songwriters will consider all tools under the law to stop this illegal behaviour
David Israelite
National Music Publishers' Association
David Israelite, president of the National Music Publishers' Association, added his concerns.

"Unauthorised use of lyrics and tablature deprives the songwriter of the ability to make a living, and is no different than stealing," he said.

"Music publishers and songwriters will consider all tools under the law to stop this illegal behaviour."

The campaign comes after lyric-finding software PearLyrics was forced off the internet by a leading music publishing company, Warner Chappell.

'No alternative'

PearLyrics worked with Apple's iTunes, searching the internet to find lyrics for songs in a user's collection.

"I just don't see why PearLyrics should infringe the copyright of Warner Chappell because all I'm doing is searching publicly-available websites," PearLyrics developer Walter Ritter said.

"It would be different if they had an alternative service that also provided lyrics online and also integrated [with iTunes] like PearLyrics did.

"But they don't offer anything like that at all."

Warner Chappell were unavailable for comment.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

That does sound bad.

I do understand artists and even record labels being against mp3 trading, in all fairness. But record companies against tablatures?

"deprives the songwriter of the ability to make a living, and is no different than stealing"

Yeah, right.

On a more on-topic note, I never would've guessed, but it does sort of seem that they really are harmonics, and tapped harmonics, no less. I still think I'll opt for the easy way out. Cool videos, thanks!
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

This is an absolute joke. As someone who's been playing for nigh on 6 years I have to say tab and more specifically Guitar Pro had probably the biggest impact on my playing of anything else. Being able to hear the song as the tab 'plays' has been hugely beneficial in getting the timing correct and learning different fretting/picking patterns. I started out like everyone else by going out and buying some tab books for my favourite bands, and then got hugely demoralised when they seemed to sound nothing like the original - Muse were particular offenders here, tabbing one guitar part for a song that didn't feature any guitars and making up 'composite' guitar parts instead of the proper guitar part for a song.

Half the time tab books will also tab the notes but be miles off on the actual neck/note position meaning what could well be a simple piece ends up being far harder to play. Fan tabbed material tends to be far more accurate and actually reflect what is being played - also you have the opportunity to tab one off live performance versions etc.

As someone who runs a bi-monthly guitar group where new songs are learned every two weeks and MIDI backing from tab is used this legislation could potentially be a huge problem. I don't see how tab can in any way shape or form be seen to be hurting the profits of artists and I feel it is simply a case of the industry seeing another 'Official' untapped resource. What's next, outlaw all MP3s so we have to download them all as 'Official ringtones' if we want one on our phones?

Also, perhaps if all bands actually included lyrics booklets there'd be no need for lyrics websites but the fact is very few seem to bother any more, and to me the internet is a great resource as a learning tool for budding and experienced musicians - taking away tab and lyrics will be a fairly huge blow to beginners and seasoned musicians alike.

I plan to fight this tooth and nail, and if I have time set up a testimonial/petition site against this idiotic legislation.

I'll hopefully get some Bodom recorded in the near future btw - been very busy and sick as a dog lately :(
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

The problem is that copyright-wise, they probably have a fairly strong case. This is not something that copyrights have been designed for, so the answer isn't clear, by any means. Anyway, they'll probably have to argue that tabs are in fact copies of their published tab-books, which of course isn't true, but as the works are naturally going to be very similar, it's going to be extremely difficult to prove otherwise. There might actually even be no requirement to do so, as if two identical works are published, the first one will usually be protected. And arguing that tabbing a performance is a copyright infringement per se, is treading on extremely unsolid ground, tbh. Publishing lyrics, for example, IS a clear copyright infringement. Publishing what is essentially an interpretation of how you think the artists performed the piece in question is a lot harder. Any court deciding upon this is going to have a very tough time.
mak
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by mak »

yep. this whole business is pretty disgusting; i for one would argue that as a result of free tabs, i've bought more albums from more artists than i would have otherwise. The worst thing is that the artists themselves seem to have no say in this at all. I'm sure alot of them dont mind fan-made tabs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Thing is even if they stop net tab ..I cant see many people buying official tab books for the reasons stated-they are inacurate and suck !

I bet there are a lot of artists who at some point in there career development (IE covers bands till they write there own stuff) they have used net resources such as tab !

Boo hoo :(

Wolf ;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Agreed. I can't stand tab books, tbh. I don't see myself buying one, ever.

I guess I'll just have to load up on guitar pro files while they're available from mysongbook. In a way, it was just too good to be true in this world. Somebody's got to make money out of it, or it has to be banned. It is quite sickening. Also, the notion that it's the artists that lose money with tabs is preposterous.

Hope you get well soon, Pete.

Daniel
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Here's a tab of the solo.

http://www.stevemorse.com/tab/purpendicular2.jpg

I wonder if that'll get banned? Probably not, as it's on the official Steve Morse website.

The fast runs from the solo are tabbed as 3 notes per string runs on this tab. Usually people use such patterns for picking runs like this. I know i do (only slower).
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Must admit I love this tune..I woke up this morning and whacked it up loud...the first part where the guitar kicks in is lovely ,the guitar tone is haunting 1.14 :( ..:D

Its sort of rock opera ish as well when the main part comes in,dam good choice...

From my little play so far (as I am really trying to limit my playing as my arm is still a bit fuxored) I find the timing of the chords at the begining a bit strange but I am sure that wil come .

Wolf ;)
AxeHack
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by AxeHack »

This is an interesting development. As I remember copyright protects the artists recording and writing. I remember a case back in the 80's where Springsteen tried to sue a cover band for doing one of his songs, the band won the case because they had bought the album and therefore had already paid the artist. The album is as good as sheet music. In this case these are other people's renditions on these songs and no one is making money. Be interesting to see how it turns out.

Now to find that Deep Purple tune.
AxeHack Image
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

I havnt been playing guitar much because I,m trying to let my arm rest a bit as it still isnt great ,but here,s a Christmas song I wrote yesterday ..I have just got my Line6 toneport (my crissy pressie and wanted to try it out) ..seems dam good so far..my bass guitar sounds great through it,as it has some amp models from the Bass pod series... I was going to do a solo,but thought better of it as I really didnt want to have to play/warm up for too long :)

Christmas

btw thats meant to be santa at the end lol

Wofl ;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Oh man, that was brilliant. Sounded damn good too, and really put a smile on my face. The TonePort seems to be damn good value for the money.

Merry Christmas GPG.
mak
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by mak »

That was really good Wolf, kudos to you for making it :) Happy Christmas!