[GPG] DGV's choice: Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin
[GPG] DGV's choice: Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley

Post by DGV » Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:58 am

Well, I'll be surprised if half of you haven't already learned this one. I know I'll butcher most of it (I.E. all the fast parts & solos) but I've wanted to give it a go for some time already (ages, actually). Also, I really try to learn more and more difficult stuff, seems like the best way to improve. The main riff's extremely powerful imho. www.mysongbook.com seems to have a decent version, too.

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Mon Dec 02, 2002 3:55 pm

You must be telepathic.

I was going to pick this one next time. Looks like i can pick something really challenging now :dg:

This should be wicked though. I think the solo will really push me to my (current) limits. Plus, i remember hearing an awesome midi a while ago, while i was deciding whether to pick this, or Crazy Train.

Once again, fantastic choice DGV. I'm really looking foreward to PEZBOY's, and our newest member NINE-BAR's attempts.

nine-bar
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by nine-bar » Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:37 pm

Im going to have to agree here, what a good choice=) Got to be one of my favourite Ozzy songs, especially with Zak Wylde=)
I have a bash at it asap, im not realy a solo player , but it wont hurt to have a bash at it (cept my fingers=) ).

Ice
Master of Melody
Location:Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice » Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:01 pm

No rush mate you've got all week :D This should be fun...

Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 » Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:05 pm

EEK :roll: ....

This will be a real "gulp" challenge.....as I have a memory like a goldfish I wonder how i,ll remember it all.

Having said that I do love this song.....but I think most of the solo parts are beyond me....it,ll be another one I,ll have to ad lib :(

So nice choice DGV :)

Wolf;)

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:57 pm

I'm having some real trouble finding the 'awesome midi' i mentioned. I might have to settle for exporting the GP3 file (Mr. Crowley(3)) to a midi file. Pitty though. This would be KILLER with a proper backing track.

I you find a good one, stick the URL up (or host it) will you?

Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 » Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:37 pm

I have found this page...It,s got quite a few versions...I only listened to one....but you might be able to wrk your magic on one of them.

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/o ... ourne.html

Wolf;)

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:07 pm

Well, I see everyone's taking their time with this one! It's trickier than it seems in some parts. I actually have a little something recorded and I thought I'd post it already, but since everybody's working slower than usual, I'll make a better one. This especially since I accidentally found a new way of recording that works a whole lot better and takes care of the sync problems I've been having always (except when cakewalk worked with me for a while back there!) Anyway, it's been challenging yet rewarding!

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:14 pm

I've re-recorded all mine tonight (every part, and both solo's). I wasn't happy with the backing on my previous attempt. The drums were out of time, so i've used the guitar pro one this time.

I've just got to give it a final listen, export it, fade the end out, mp3 it and upload it.

But, season 7 of Voyager is on, and I havent seen it. So it might be an hour or two yet.

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:56 pm

Ok, here it is.

Mr. Crowley, ala Bigpops (4.37MB)

This is about the best i can manage so far. It's not too bad, considering i only learned the first solo a couple of days ago, and the end solo yesterday.

The first solo is a cross between the recorded version, and the live (RR Tribute) version. Mainly because the tab was, and i prefered the ending of the live one.
The harmony, in the section preceding the ending solo was provided by my GT6's harmonist. This is because i worked it out by ear, because the tab was the single guitar live version.

Anyway, thats about it. Hope you all like it.

Ice
Master of Melody
Location:Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:39 am

That is without doubt, astoundingly amazing. It blew me away. You're usually good but that was just outstanding <redoubles effort>

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:06 pm

www.guitar.com/artists/dgv/

I put up the original one IOW didn't have time to record everything again, though I started already. I only redid the end, which in my case is the nice harmony just before the second solo that's played with two guitars at least according to my tab. Unfortunately I fumbled a bit there (also) and it's not as good as it should / could. However, this morning I had my last exam of the year and to celebrate that we just decided to go on a cruise to Sweden, so since the boat's leaving in a couple of hours I'm a bit too pressed for time to do it perfectly. There are actually some fumbles that are embarrassingly obvious. Especially the rhythm for the first solo I should have left out entirely, it's that sloppy. Still, parts of it aren't even that bad. :bg:

I did practice the solos a bit, but I'd need at least a month to make them even presentable.

Downloading Bigpops's as I type. Expect to be blown away. Expect that should have listened to it before posting own.

By the by, one thing that astonished me - I recorded the first quite early just to get them done. Now as I recorded some stuff today I noticed how much better it sounded. Improvement! Wow! The difference was quite surprising.

Finished downloading and listening to Bigpops... Sounds like you managed to remove Ozzy's voice from the original pretty well...

I'm somewhat speechless. I had to listen to my own one again after this one. Then the original. Then Bigpops's. It was pretty darn good. (And I'm not talking about mine :lol: )

Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice » Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:21 pm

Really good DGV mate, now I feel under a fair bit of pressure to not be shit!

Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam » Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:48 pm

I am an Ozzy fan and thought that this would kil the song, but I must say Bigpops, this really did rock, DGV i shall listen to yours later m8.

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Tue Dec 10, 2002 4:24 pm

DGV. Your playing is actually pretty good on this, except the parts you mentioned -- and it's good that you noticed that too.

The sound could use a little work, but i suspect that some of that is down the the input level being set too high.

Thanks for all the kind comments about mine. I still think some parts could be better, and i'll do them again, next time 'in the zone' so to speak.

Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:01 pm

Bigpops m8..very very good.....Really nicely played and mixed as is pretty much the norm.I still think your version of BURN was the best GPG you,ve done ..but this was close.

I am really jelous of your ability to learn solo,s....It,s something I just dont seem to do very well...personally i,m coming round to thinking my basic timing is crap ( perhaps I,m the next Kurk Hammet as his is always off lol ). I always start with the best of intentions...but it always goes down hill...Partly it is technique..this song was basically technically beyond me...although I think i,m improving.It more the fact I really cant remember things ..so as soon as I go to record I forget it :(.

Here,s my attempt :oops:

I learnt the riff last week but...as per norm played my own solo over the top (hence it,s crapness :D )..I did try to pick up on a few bits though :)....must try to learn how to record the solo seperatley as I have to do it all in one take which does make it difficult :/

Wolf;)

DGV ..just d/l yours now only 30 % left to go :)

Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:10 pm

DGV-you right about ppl making more of an effort when it,s there own choice....it really shows on yours m8 :D

Whatever you,ve done to make your recording clearer certainly works....and I really liked your bass line backing...Better than my wank midi lol :P

Your playing is much stronger on this one as well m8..I think your right hand technique is improving a lot .Keep it up m8 :)

Wolf;)

Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam » Tue Dec 10, 2002 9:24 pm

SOz to be brutal Wolf but he are a bit off at times and too high for most the of time :oops: soz! :oops:

Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:05 pm

Blam wrote:SOz to be brutal Wolf but he are a bit off at times and too high for most the of time :oops: soz! :oops:

lol :) ..hence the title to my MP3 :D

Wolf;)

Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:09 pm

:bg: aye i read it :bg:

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:09 pm

I'm back, though not from Sweden since it seems we took the wrong boat and ended up going to Estonia... :roll: Anyway, back to music.

Wolf: Gotta love the way you did the intro! :bg: The midi you had was pretty awful in a few parts, the playing itself wasn't that bad. :P I can't quite put my finger on it, but something sounds a bit off. Actually, listening to it again, I think it's the midi and the fact that some of your lower notes somehow make my speakers resonate in a weird way. :lol: You're playing it right. Nice effort on the first solo. Second one sounds a bit like it's in the wrong key or something at parts. Played nicely enough, though!

One of the things that GPG has done, it's made me a lot more critical of my own playing. Which is great, improves playing quality a lot. Also, you're right on the right hand technique. I've been working on that a lot. Also, the recording is a real headache since my amp is pretty much kaput and it plays tricks on me. I just can't get it to give a good sound. But I'll get a new one some day... but it's time to move on. Bring on the next one!

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:18 pm

I don't mean to push those of you that are taking their time, but I'm anxious to move on to the next since Christmas time is generally one of the few occasions to really play one's heart out, since there always seems to be a lot of time. And I've already started my Christmas vacation, soo... ahemmm... :bg:

Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops » Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:37 pm

Agreed.

If you (Pezboy and Nine-bar) are (or aren't) going to record this, then could you let us know.

Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 » Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:39 pm

Lucky You DGV...I,m wrking till at least the 24th :(

Still if i,m lucky i,ll get a week offf:)

Must admit GPG was a weekly thing but recently it,s almost become fortnightly........

In hindsight I could have done a lot better as I only spent about 30mins on the solo,s in total...cos I was conscious of posting something.When we first started a few bars seemed good enough.....I almost think we need to go back to a weekly thing.....and you post what you,ve done CR@P or not .....if you want to persue a song nothing stops anyone on GPG posting a better version at a later date for everyones enjoyment :D

MErry Christmas :bg:

Wolf;)

DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV » Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:11 pm

Yeah, I agree. Or at least we should try to play by the rules, so to speak. If we'd change the rules to, say, post what you have done in two weeks, then we should go by that. But as it is (and I like it the way it is) we should try to stick to the weekly thing. If you've only got a main riff or something, that's okay. You can always come back next week - or at least when it's your next choice. :wink: But once again, this sounds much too strict, really. Of course it's all about having fun and learning and so forth. It's not that big of a deal. I guess my point is that I really enjoy the way GPG makes you try a new song each week. Keeps you on the move, so to speak. But there I go again, on a rant.