[MLG] Bat's pick 13/08/2002

Moderator: Thought Police

Bat
Regional Controller
Regional Controller

[MLG] Bat's pick 13/08/2002

Post by Bat »

I know I have been very slack when it comes to the MLG, but here are my choices anyway.

Billy Joel - Captain Jack

Stereophonics - Too Many Sandwiches

Feeder - Descend

The Beatles - Let it be
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

I can't believe that you have choosen one of my most hated songs ever, it's right up there with 99 Red Ballons :evil:

So can I only comment on 3 of the 4 or else I'll :cry:
Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam »

No one has listened to mine yet, i take it that this is going to the dogs!?!? :|
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

I've listened to yours :p shout at the others not me
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

I've not listened to them yet, but as you may have noticed I've not been on ixyl for the last couple of days.

I'll listen to them when I get home but I will comment and say that Descend is one of the best Feeder tracks ever wriitten. Not wanting to get into an argument with anyone but I still think that the tracks off of Swim where the peak of Feeder's career, IMHO.

I'll comment properly when I get a chance to listen to the others.
hanohtep is saying is that the material world doesn't work that way
"Goat Boy is here to please you..."
Bat
Regional Controller
Regional Controller

Post by Bat »

Hanohtep wrote: I still think that the tracks off of Swim where the peak of Feeder's career, IMHO.
I'd agree I think Swim/Polythene were their best recordings most definitely.
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Captain Jack Billy Joel

It's pretty good. I really like the verse, I think it is only slightly let down with the OTT chorus guitar. In fact, I don't even think that is that much of a problem. In fact, I really like this song.

Too Many Sandwiches The Stereophonics

Not a fan of this song. There are only a few Stereophonics songs that I do like and this isn't one of them. I can't even put my finger on what it is I don't like about this - it just doesn't float my boat.

Descend Feeder

As I said before, I love this song. It goes back to the day when Feeder looked like they could be a really promising band - I don't want to get into an argument with IceBus here but I really don't like the Feeder of today. But the Swim EP is just superb. This song, is so good. The spacey feel of the verse erupting into that chorus with "I'm not insane!" Superb stuff. I'd actually put this down as my favourite Feeder song ever.

Let It Be The Beatles

I remember the really bad cover of this song that was done in the name of the Zebrugge ferry disaster and I hated that so much that I think that it has put me off of the song for life. I don't really think there is anything wrong with the song musically, but it just dredges up the bile from the bottom of my stomach - sorry if you really like it Bat. Maybe I've just been a bit harsh... :oops:
Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam »

Currently struggling to d/l, hopefully will have listened and reported back by weekend
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

Sorry for the delay but for the first time I've had some problems downloading some of these.

Twas OK I suppose, but it did nothing for me

You all keep coming up with groups that I have never really listened to before. I was pleasantly surprised, not at all what I thought it would be perhaps I should listen to some more of there stuff

Feeder – Descend
Still trying to download this one, when I do I’ll update my list, if any helpful person whats to transfer this over to me I would be grateful.

The Beatles - Let it be

As the title says just ‘Let it be’, I have heard this song so many times, and it is one of the few songs that I just can’t stand!
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Still waiting to hear, I'm afraid.

As Hano really - I wasn't a fan of the first album at all, apart from Traffic - it wasn't until the second album came out that I started to listen to the first. But while this is an OK song, I can't help but feel that the Stereophonics missed out on something that Ash succeeded in - over-production. 1977 is a fantastic album because they didn't give a damn that they were a 3-piece, they just kept layering tracks and adding all sorts of weird and wonderful artificialities which conjured up a wonderful record. The 'Phonics on the other hand seem quite happy playing pub-style, and while it displays their talent and 'comfiness', it just doesn't sound terribly gripping.

Feeder - Descend

The name of the first Feeder fan site, ran by me :D, and for very good reason. Quite simply the best song Feeder ever came up with, and still ranks very highly on my list of favourite live songs. Recommended to all.

The Beatles - Let it be

One of the more likeable Beatles songs I think, it has an anthemic quality but still manages to be remain hugging-in-the-conservatory rather than Queen style stadia-romping. I hate almost all Beatles' songs but this one probably slips away from my wrath.
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Kajun wrote:The name of the first Feeder fan site, ran by me :D
<sigh>

Whatever happened to that, eh? I remember sitting helping work out all the lyrics for Swim and Polythene so you could put them on the site and then the bastards re-released Polythene with all the lyrics in it... :evil:

Ah well... :P
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Still there m8! In its original location, too. I hope to have a mirror of it on ixyl soon once I've updated some of the links (i.e. the lyrics and tab book aren't on Virgin.net's site but they're elsewhere). In the meantime, the second version is here - http://freespace.virgin.net/ali.bunny/feeder/ - I don't have the first version with the Swim styled buttons, unfortunately. :(
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

:bg:

Any idea what ever happened to "The Fish Pond" I'm still looking for Three Fish tab to no avail... :cry:
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Well, it was called Secret Place if I remember correctly. And no, I think that really has been lost, for good... :(
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

:cry: