[GPG] 01/07/02 Face of the Earth by Days of the New

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Aye, It's commming along nicely there Icebus.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Thanks :) My only problem is, in between practicing sessions, I completely forget the timing of the riff, and I have to spend ages getting that right again.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Must admit i,m glad i spent the time downloading it ..it,s nice to hear new music:)

I spent about half an hour buggering around trying to tune my guitar to that tuning..but eneded up with the floyd slightly at at strange angle and it wouldnt stay in tune :(

I have never played with my fingers before(always plecky ) ..but as i,m getting an acoustic next week i,ll have a go on that.....as it will be easier to tune down.

I have always stuck to standard tunings...well other than a dropped D .

But it,s very interesting to hear you lot...good encouragement :)
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

You can play it fine in dropped D, it just won't match the original. It's fine to play unaccompanied though.

I must confess I played it with a plectrum, I'm gonna have to force myself to fingerpick in future :)

The whole idea is getting from thinking a tab is impossible (which I thought when I heard the original Face of the Earth) to playing a passable version thereof in a week. :) <enjoying GPC immensely>
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

As Icebus said. Use drop D tuning and your Floyd Rose should be fine. Thats where the Floyd Rose 'whale tail' design came from. Eddie Van Halen wanted to be able to drop the low E down to D, without unlocking the nut.
Pezboy
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by Pezboy »

But....not everyone enjoys the company of a FR :(...

/Looks at LP :(
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

<looks at locked down tremelo on strat>

You're not alone mate :) I'll need to see about getting some locking tuners though mind you ;)
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

I'm still playing on the crappy acoustic so I have no bother detuning it the half step and then dropping-D. I'm also using a very weird form of finger-picking because I can't get the control I need from using a plectrum.

I've recorded three versions so far. Two of them I play the entire first minute of the song and the third I only play the main riff followed by the arpeggiated bit just before the singing starts. I'm improving at it and hopefully have a fairly passable version by Sunday.
hanohtep is saying is that the material world doesn't work that way
"Goat Boy is here to please you..."
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

I,ve finally dropped my poor guitar to the right tuning....stupid thing ....you,d get it all in tune then it would wander off etc...

Anyhow....i,ve recoreded my little attempt..just the bit that Bigpops tabbed .....first time i,ve tried to finger pick..so the definition /timing isnt that good.

But at the mo i,m still trying to wrk out how post stuff on my webby ........

Anyhow i,m putting my guitar out of it,s misery and tuning it back up :)

:bg:
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Hanohtep wrote: I'm improving at it and hopefully have a fairly passable version by Sunday.
Does this mean i've got four days left to pick a riff / song? Decisions decisions.

Pez, I thought you liked Les Pauls? You want a guitar with a floyd all of a sudden? Better get saving those pennies. I'm fancying an Ibanez Jem (again) but the one I want is beyond my means at the moment (£1200 - £1500 :( ). Not only that, they only made them during 1998, so they're pretty rare. Maybe i'll have to settle for an RG 550 at the end of the year.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Yup mate you've got until next Monday to post your choice of riff. TBH a Floyd Rose would be handy, but atm I can do most of what I want with my Whammy pedal :)
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

Bigpops wrote: Does this mean i've got four days left to pick a riff / song? Decisions decisions.
Depending on what you choose they might need those 4 days to practise :o

And don't forget that some of the other still haven't posted there versions yet. ;) so no rushing the other's
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

i'll post mine tomorow... i've accepted that i cant play it very well so im just gonna do my best. Hope someone picks something with lots of chunky powerchords, im good at that ;)

MoneyPenny - you should join the club.
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

punky_munky wrote: MoneyPenny - you should join the club.
:lol:

I think not, for a start I don't play the guitar, or any other instrument for that matter but that doesn't mean though that I'm not interested in what you lot play.
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

MoneyPenny wrote:
punky_munky wrote: MoneyPenny - you should join the club.

I think not, for a start I don't play the guitar, or any other instrument for that matter but that doesn't mean though that I'm not interested in what you lot play.
ooh go on. Just pick one up cheap somewhere. I've never had a single lesson in my life.. i cant read music or play any other instrument (although i like to pretend to play the drums sometimes ;) )

i was 'competent' at guitar after a couple of months. its a great stress reliever. i recomend it to everyone :)
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

No thanks, I'll just stick to watching from the side lines. ;)

M
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

[quote="MoneyPenny]Depending on what you choose they might need those 4 days to practise :o
[/quote]

They might need 4 months. I haven't decided what to pick yet :dg:
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

MoneyPenny wrote:Depending on what you choose they might need those 4 days to practise :o
They might need 4 months. I haven't decided what to pick yet :dg:[/quote]
Gilly
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Gilly »

Hmm, I was a bit daunted by this thread at first but I reckon I can play pretty well in comparison. The only thing is I'm fully self-taught and so can pick things up really quickly in monkey fashion, copying someone's actions, but can't do well at all when picking things up from paper, it's held me back a lot so far.

Plus, I don't know the tuning scales, do I need to buy some kind of electronic tuner?
"I hate capitalism, but I like money" - Kajun, 2001
Pezboy
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by Pezboy »

Bigpops wrote:
Hanohtep wrote: I'm improving at it and hopefully have a fairly passable version by Sunday.
Does this mean i've got four days left to pick a riff / song? Decisions decisions.

Pez, I thought you liked Les Pauls? You want a guitar with a floyd all of a sudden? Better get saving those pennies. I'm fancying an Ibanez Jem (again) but the one I want is beyond my means at the moment (£1200 - £1500 :( ). Not only that, they only made them during 1998, so they're pretty rare. Maybe i'll have to settle for an RG 550 at the end of the year.
Oh, dont get me wrong...i love my Les Paul...but im pineing after a Floyd equiped guitar at the moment...

Ive seen a nice Peavey wolfgang (Cherry Burst...Quilted finish) that im dying to get...just gotta fund it :(...oh...and it has a floyd :D
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

I,m still trying to work out how i can put sound files on my webby so u can d/l them:(

So i,m afraid i wont be able to post my abyslmal attempt at it :)

Wolf :bg:
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Gilly wrote:Hmm, I was a bit daunted by this thread at first but I reckon I can play pretty well in comparison. The only thing is I'm fully self-taught and so can pick things up really quickly in monkey fashion, copying someone's actions, but can't do well at all when picking things up from paper, it's held me back a lot so far.

Plus, I don't know the tuning scales, do I need to buy some kind of electronic tuner?
I'm self taught too Gilly so don't worry about anything.

The tuning scales are fairly easy to work out but I always find using an electronic tuner even easier.
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

Send a PM to either IceBus or Punky and when they appear's they will let you know ;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Wolf11 wrote:I,m still trying to work out how i can put sound files on my webby so u can d/l them:(

So i,m afraid i wont be able to post my abyslmal attempt at it :)
Is your webspace FTP? Drop me an email with the problem and I'll see what I can do. Failing that, email me your clip and I'll host it.
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Here's my attempt here.