[MLG] 08/07/02 Icebus' Choice

Moderator: Thought Police

Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

[MLG] 08/07/02 Icebus' Choice

Post by Ice »

OK, slight break with Hanohtep here, in that I've chosen to do an introduction to one of my all time favourite bands, with a choice track listing of the following:-
  • The Pixies - Debaser
  • The Pixies - Gigantic
  • The Pixies - Where is my Mind?
  • The Pixies - The Holiday Song
Hope everyone finds some enjoyment from these and I'll post my reasons for choosing them once a few people have posted their own views.

Peter
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

Debaser
This is definately one of the songs that influenced Nirvana, absolute classic. No idea what its actually about though but i love this song. Not much in the way of lyrical genius but the energy in the music is enough lift my mood.

Gigantic
I prefer it when Frank Black sings but hey, its all good.

Where is my mind
ooooooooooooooooh, stop. wicky scratch. yeah, best opening to a song. Love the the sound of lead over an acoustic tune. Man, what a song. Its class. Note, this song was ripped off by the Strokes big style, dont know which song it was though.
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

OK here goes, sorry it's late but I've been away most of the week.

I'll say a little about each song and then say something about the Pixies as a whole.

Pixies Debaser

A great song.One of my favourite Pixies songs. It's just so upbeat it's great.

Pixies Gigantic

I really like this song. I prefer some of the other female vocalled ones but this is still a really good song though.

Pixies Where Is My Mind?

OK, now this is my favourite of all Pixies songs. I love the riff, I love the ghostly little "woo ooo" in the background, I love the acoustic guitar. It's just so good. I still can't help but picture buildings falling down though when I listen to it thanks to Fight Club.

Pixies The Holiday Song

I like this song. It's not one of my favourites but it's good enough to be memorable. I like the guitar in it.

Now, the Pixies as a band are one of the greatest bands of the late eighties and early nineties. They wrote fantstically catchy tunes. Anyone who says they don't know Pixies songs will probably be mistaken. Everybody knows some Pixies songs. One of my favourites, Tame was used in a smirnoff advert recently - the one where he bowls his boss over in his dream, and everybody will know Monkey Gone To Heaven.

IceBus has focussed his choices on the first Pixies albums. Three of his choices come from Surfer Rosa/Come on Pilgrim and one comes from Doolittle. Personally I find that Doolittle is my favourite album and if anyone was interested in buying Pixies stuff then that's the album I'd recommend. However, as IceBus has shown they write fantastic tracks that are on the other albums: Where Is My Mind?, Is She weird?, and Subbacultcha are all among my favourites but are spread throughout the Pixies' releases. They only have four proper albums but I could happily recommend any of them to you.
hanohtep is saying is that the material world doesn't work that way
"Goat Boy is here to please you..."
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

I will listen to these asap ;) and let you know what I think
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

Right I have listened to all the songs and sorry to say it Hano but I don't think I have heard anything by them before.

All I can say to IceBus is you are a danger to my bandwidth :p at the moment I am serching for more songs by the Pixies :bg:
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Aaah Miss MoneyPenny, you misunderstood me :)

I said everyone will know some Pixies songs - not necessarily those ones. Chances are you'll know Monkey Gone To Heaven, or Tame, and if you've ever seen the movie Pump Up The Volume you'll know a slowed down acoustic version of Wave of Mutilation.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Glad you're enjoying them :) Should I post my reasons or wait a while longer?
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Just post 'em IceBus mate.