[GPG] 19/7/2002 Killing in the Name - RATM

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

[GPG] 19/7/2002 Killing in the Name - RATM

Post by Ice »

This week it was between Rage and Metallica. I was very tempted to go for Metallica, but I thought maybe having two really intense riffs in a row might be a bit much :) So it's Rage Against the Machine, from their eponymous album. "Killing in the name of" doesn't require any of Morello's kill switch antics, so it should be possible for any guitar setup...

Do as much of the song as you can manage basically :D The solo is done with a whammy pedal set an octave up.

Have fun!
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Ooohh, one of my fave's. I can't wait to have a crack at this. Now, where's that pedal-pitch bend patch on this GT6 thing?
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Hehe, I might even have a go at this, the solo at least ;)
Kajun is awaiting approval.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Hello. As you see, I'm new to this board. This GPG was what lured me in here, so I hope you welcome newcomers. This is a great idea, btw. Anyway, this week's pick seems manageable, so I'm definately gonna try to learn it. Mind you, I've never recorded anything from guitar to computer, and I sort of need help in order to do this. So what's the best way to record? I don't have a mic or other appliances. What do I need to get and what will the price be (roughly)? Also, I don't have any effects on my electric, since I'm originally an acoustic player and am only starting to get into electric now. So it's all clean tone for me.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Hi DGV, and a warm welcome to you.

There are various ways to record from guitar to computer, although I'm sure others will have better suggestions.

a) direct - obtain a male guitar jack > male 3.5mm (headphone) connector lead, which then plugs into the line in socket of your sound card. Advantage of this is that you have a very clean and direct sound, but often it can sound too squeaky clean and mistakes/dirty fretting sounds far more noticeable, even when concealed with distortion.

b) through a microphone. Simply buy a mike, any old omnidirectional one will do usually, and plug it into your sound card - you may need to get a conversion jack depending on the connector on the end of the mike. Then stand the mike somewhere solid and open, and play away - usually you'll want it near your amplifier and then turn down the record levels on your computer to suit, to cut down on background noise as much as possible.

c) direct through your amplifier. Same as a) really, but you'll get the benefits of the extra sound that the amplifier adds.

d) through a pedal and/or 4-track. Here you'll still need to obtain a connection lead, but the advantage of the 4-track is that most of them have twin-phono (hi-fi style) outputs, and getting a twin phono > 3.5mm cable is a piece of cake, here anyway! Many pedals offer "amplifier style" effects, which, when combined with a bit of reverb and whatever else you like, can make what you've recorded sound more like the natural sound, but without the problems of background noise that using a mike may entail.

Basically, unless you have a good sound card on your computer, you'll need a cable that ends in a 3.5mm (headphone) jack; what it goes through is up to you.

Good luck!
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

morning. hello DGV. I use a small PC mic for my recordings but as you can hear i don't get amazing quality.. its very easy to seteup though and sounds alright for this thingy 'ere.

icebus, good pick. i'll get right on it :D
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Thanks for the welcome, guys! I think I'll start by getting the 3.5 mm male jack... If I can't find that I'll try getting a mic. If I do find the jack, I'll try different setups and then see what sounds best. Though, since I don't actually have any effects to play with except the meager ones that my amp has, I'll just emphasize on the quality of my playing, not the sound. :D After that I'll start thinking of excuses for my sloppiness...
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Excellent, I look forward to hearing the results!

One query guys: do we have a rule on the use of 4-tracks? Should this just be a single attempt with one track only, or are we happy to allow layered tracks if anyone fancies going that step further and providing bass / rhythm guitar? I guess the main track can be isolated in any case, but if it's a definite no-no then I won't bother trying the whole lot.
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

Go for it! the more the better i say. If one day the right song comes along then i might just record it with my band. so yeah. go for it i say, this isn't a competition or anything, just make sure you got the time.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Great to have you here DGV :) There's a fair few ways of altering your tone when recording, and as Kajun said, various ways of connecting. I've been connecting via C) - which is my guitar into my amp, then my amp into my soundcard (my amp has an emulated speaker out jack on the back). The sound quality from this is pretty poor though, but I can change my sound a fair bit with my EQ. This is probably the best route if your amp has a headphone/line out/emulated speaker out jack port and you don't have a standalone distortion or EQ pedal. If and when you want to think of the other options (disto pedal, Line 6 Pod, Behringer Vamp 2 etc etc etc.) then just give me a yell and I should be able to give you a hand :D

Kajun, four tracking is fine mate - in fact I was thinking of doing the bass line myself (when the guitar isn't playing probably) and then editing the whole thing together into one whole track with Cubase or a similar mixing proggie. I really think that is a natural progression of GPG - as we get more profficient at learning a song in a short time scale, we can do it with a better quality end product - be that sound quality or accuracy to the original song. I'm just chuffed that so many people are into it, as I'm really having a great time!
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Here,s my attempt ...with backing :)....think it,s right cos i havnt actaully got song ..but as it used to be one of my faves i,m sure it,s somewhere near..just played it from tab :D

http://website.lineone.net/~pinkertons/rage.mp3

Dont think i,l try solo as its really a random mess lol...

Wolf:)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Hey, great work Wolf! It sounded just right to me, although... I don't exactly have the song at my disposal, either.
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

f*ck me with a fish fork! thats damn goooood!

how did you do it? what software did you use?
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Sounds great there Wolf. :D
hanohtep is saying is that the material world doesn't work that way
"Goat Boy is here to please you..."
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Okay, so now my computer is messing with me... I bought the cable and now I'm able to play through my computer, but I can't record. When I connect my guitar to the mic slot, nothing happens, recording isn't working. When I connect to the adjacent slot, which I presume is meant for some external MIDI device or whatnot, I can play through my computer amps but am unable to record. Do I just need different software? I'm going with the SB64 wavestudio that just won't work. Oh, incidentally, I tried connecting guitar-amp-computer, and it refuses to work too. Help?
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

I just came across the backing track when i put guitar tab into google :D.Try Guitar midi backing and you,ll find loads......I find they make it easier to stay in time....tried it with Holy War but as i couldnt play it quick enough i gave up lol.

I recorded my guitar using Creative recording while letting backing play in background.Ued my Vamp2 with my ibanez ...god i hate tuning it down lol....takes ages to get it back :D

Wolf
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

DGV wrote:Okay, so now my computer is messing with me... I bought the cable and now I'm able to play through my computer, but I can't record. When I connect my guitar to the mic slot, nothing happens, recording isn't working. When I connect to the adjacent slot, which I presume is meant for some external MIDI device or whatnot, I can play through my computer amps but am unable to record. Do I just need different software? I'm going with the SB64 wavestudio that just won't work. Oh, incidentally, I tried connecting guitar-amp-computer, and it refuses to work too. Help?
What i do is record through windows sound recorder because i find it easiest to use. You might have to select microphone input from the recording options (click on the volume thingy in the system tray)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Here's a potted guide to getting it set up right. I'm using Windows XP, so the options may be slightly different, but it should be enough to get you going. First off, make sure you're plugged into the right input. I know that sounds stupid, but I find it hard to do when I'm leaning down the back of my pc, with four jacks that look identical and I'm upside down :D

Go to the Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Volume tab. Under Device Volume, click the advanced button. This should bring up a volume window. Go to Options>Properties. Then change it from "Adjust volume for Playback" to "Adjust volume for Recording". Click OK. Now the Panel should have a choice of different recording sources, click select below the appropriate box. If you don't get it right at first try trial and error until you get it.

BTW If you don't know the song, you can always DL it on MP3.

Any more probs, gimme a yell,

Peter
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Wow, I did it! Now this just goes to show what a six-pack will do to your creativity! I got it to work... somehow! And now, all of a sudden, I'm also able to play through the amp. Wow. The only problem is my mp3 ripper has been deleted by someone. So for now it's .wav format for me. Well, this isn't even half decent, since when I played this (yes, it's the very first thing I've ever recorded on my pc) I wasn't trying hard as I was sure it wasn't going to work... but bla bla, right? I'll do something better tomorrow.

It should be at http://www.angelfire.com/emo/dgv/RATM1.wav

Don't criticize me too much yet, I can do better!
Last edited by DGV on Sun Jul 21, 2002 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

linky no work :(
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Yup same here ..no linky poo :(

Wolf :)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Darn. I wonder when angelfire came up with such a stupid policy... We don't allow direct linking. :-? I'm gonna have to find a new account somewhere, for free. And also some software for wav->mp3 transformation. Suggestions? Anyway, the file's there alright, so if you just type the address you'll be able to download. Not that this one is actually worth it...
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Copy and paste the link into the address bar, and it works.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Well, I said I'd give it another go today and here it is. I'm not satisfied with this one either, but this song is starting to irritate me so much already that I just can't take any more. As before, angelfire won't allow direct linking so you'll have to go through the trouble of actually taking up the address. Sorry for the inconvenience :P

www.angelfire.com/emo/dgv/RATM2.mp3
File size: 2.09 MB
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Dgv m8 if you look in the Holy war GPG thingy Punky Munky:D kindly gave me a link to a free mp3 convertor ..it seems very good .

Wolf :)