Thought Police

Post by heavy-rotation »

Still trying to aquire these for a listen :oops:
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Ditto. :(

PLEASE NOTE: If you are acquiring these tracks from a source other than purchased CD or licensed radio, you must delete and destroy them within 24 hours of receiving them (you'll understand why when you see Jalapeno's selection)

The MLG is supposed to be an introduction to new music you can buy and support the artists you like, not to help you amass more MP3s.
Kajun is awaiting approval.
heavy-rotation
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by heavy-rotation »

Yep yep - if I hear stuff I like, I usually go out and buy the CD the next day :)
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

If anyone is having problems getting these songs give me a shout on MSN and I'll transfer them over to you (if I can work out how to send them rather then receive them :p)
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Jay Z feat. Eminem Renegades

I like this song. Like MoneyPenny, I like the layers of the song - the piano and synth in the background with the beats more prominently over the top works well. Lyrically, I like this song as well. I don't really know that much hip hop but there are songs out there that I do like. This is now one of them.

Coldplay Shiver

I'm not a fan of Coldplay and I have to say that this song doesn't really change that for me. I admit that it's a lot better than Yellow which I really detest but it still doesn't grab me at all.

Meatloaf For Crying Out Loud

Right I will be perfectly honest. This song does absolutely nothing for me. It tries so hard to be a huge big epic rock song but leaves me feeling nothing. It's a nice enough song but it just doesn't do anything for me. I've found that a song can be really emotionally powerful when it is nothing but a singer and a guitar on a really badly produced recording. One problem I've always had with Meatloaf is the over-indulgence in his songs and this is a classic example in my opinion.

Metallica Bleeding Me

I've always loved this song. When Load first came out it got some serious dissing from a lot of die hard fans. I think it is a great album, and Bleeding Me is one of the best tracks on it. It's a lot looser than earlier Metallica stuff and I think that's why I love this song and the album as a whole.
hanohtep is saying is that the material world doesn't work that way
"Goat Boy is here to please you..."
Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam »

Nice honest opinions fae Hano there, thanks! :)
Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

[MLG] Blam's pick 29/7/02

Post by Blam »

Here goes, and since there has already been a wide range of styles i shall try and keep this up!

Jay Z feat. Eminem ~ Reangade

Meatloaf ~ [For Crying Out Loud

Coldplay ~ Shiver

Metallica ~ Bleeding of Me
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

I can't beleive that I am the first to finish listening to this lot but anyway here are my thoughts

Must admit that I thought Blam’s choices would be slightly different then what they actually are, but then that is the joy of the listening club.

I liked this one. Isn’t this the first time we have listened to something like this. I liked the way it has proper music, with the rapping over the top.

Meatloaf ~ For Crying Out Loud

This is one that is already in my collection, and I normally overlook it and play something else, I won’t be doing that in future.

Coldplay ~ Shiver

OK I admit it I have a mental block when it comes to Coldplay and I still do :( this song didn’t change my mind about them

Not at all what I expected, but I liked it anyway.
Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam »

What's the crack then guys?? I thought that there would be LOADS of replies to this for my return!?!?!?!?

No one interested in my choices ??? :| :roll:
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Sorry mate, I just been busy. Haven't even had a chance to download the ones I haven't got. I'll get on it ASAP.
hanohtep is saying is that the material world doesn't work that way
"Goat Boy is here to please you..."
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

Blam wrote:What's the crack then guys?? I thought that there would be LOADS of replies to this for my return!?!?!?!?

No one interested in my choices ??? :| :roll:
I did tell them that there would be trouble on your return if they hadn't listened, but does anyone listen to me ................
Bat
Regional Controller
Regional Controller

Post by Bat »

Jay Z feat. Eminem Renegades

Really not my sort of music. I'm not going to go off one one saying it's shit because it isn't, but as it does nothing for me...

Coldplay Shiver

I like Coldplay alot and know this song well. It's always nice to hear a song done well in a different time signature from the standard 4:4, in the case 6:8. I also love the way the piano and guitar work so well in harmony in this one.

Meatloaf For Crying Out Loud

I admire Meatloaf for doing what he likes doing rather than what most record companies like. I am a fan of this type of song and it has his classic trademark of being 2 or 3 songs in one, as well as building up for five minutes before the drums even kick in. Anyone who can write a song the way they want it, knowing that it isn't going to get radio air play is a true musician in my opinion. Good song.

Metallica Bleeding Me

I hadn't heard this track before so first of all thanks for introducing me to it Blam. Metallica are another great band who have made music they way they want to make it, and built up a fan base without the need for the standard commercial routes such as radio and singles chart battles.

It's also great to hear another song composed in a less used time signature. This is something that Metallica do alot and it really adds something to songs when done well.

They always manage to sound like they are jamming away in someones garage somewhere while still demonstrating immense skill and control of their instruments.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Re: [MLG] Blam's pick 29/7/02

Post by Kajun »

I was pleasantly surprised, but I doubt it's something I'd listen to again. The music is grabbing but I just can't be arsed listening to the lyrics, particularly for hip hop! Is there any point in having Eminem on it, too? (not really a criticism of him or Jay Z etc. just seems a little corporatised to me to have a Stan style song 'set up' like that)

Meatloaf ~ [For Crying Out Loud

I have neural problems with Meatloaf, but haven't managed to listen to this particular song yet so I'll refrain from comment for the now.

Coldplay ~ Shiver

Oh shut up you monosyllabic moron. Or should that be morons, since the bass, guitar, and drums always seem to be monosyllabic too. I have nothing else to say.

Another one I haven't heard :( Promise I'll edit when I've managed to experience these two.
Kajun is awaiting approval.