[GPG] Pezboys choice : Metallica - Ride the Lightning

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

I was gonna record today but I have to make a unexpected trip right now. I'll come back tomorrow night, though, so I'll record either tomorrow or Friday. Just wanted to let you guys know I'm not chickening out. :D
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

I'm trying to decide whether to post an attempt at the solo or not... Also my sleeping routine is way out of wack atm, which makes recording when I'm up difficult :|
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Come on fella's, pull yer finger's out, and get 'em on yer fretboards. Especially you Pezboy, it's your choice.

Remember, you only have play as much or as little as you like.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Unfortunately, I'm off for another trip. (This has to do with my job, btw. This should be the last one I am to make) I'll be back tomorrow afternoon so I'll definately post tomorrow night. Then I'll see if I can learn the next one in just two days... :-? Of course, I'd love to record right now, but since it is 7 a.m here I probably better not.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

I'll be recording something today (have mercy). I'm sorry I've been slow, but between preparing for Reading and a seriously debilitating stomach bug I've been a bit tied to phone and toilet. :)

I'll get summat up today :D
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Here's the rythm part and as much as the solo (not much) as I can hack.

Rythm

Solo - I know this is choppy but I've been playing for ages to get this now and it's the best take I can do now lol

I'd still appreciate comments people :)
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Nice 1 Icebus m8 :bg:

Thought the rythmn part was good :)

And respect for having a bash at the solo......:)...makes me wish i had lol .

I,m glad you posted ..I was beggining to think you would 'nt lol

Now you,ve got a few days for Running free :)

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I'm not as worried about it TBH, for one it doesn't have a 50 bar long solo :D Cheers for the comments mate ;)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Nice one icebus mate. Decent rhythm, especialy the first few bars.

Good to see you had a stab at the solo too. Obviously, it needs some work, but at least you know what notes your supposed to be playing, and can practice it at your leisure.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Cool mate thanks, I've got pointers from a lot of people to work on so I'll hopefully be able to improve it. That was my first ever Metallica solo though :)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Good job, IceBus! I just got back home and I'll try to record something decent by tonight.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Uhum... I can't upload. Angelfire has failed me yet again. Any good advice on getting a free, good account somewhere?
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Correction: I can upload, angelfire just picks the weirdest times to let me do so. And these miraculous events happen only occasionally.

Note: copy-paste this to your address bar, since angelfire is a worthless piece of... No, really, I like my server. I do warn you that downloading may be possible only sporadically.

www.angelfire.com/emo/dgv/ride2.wav

Second note: this is in .wav format because my mp3 converter refused to co-operate further.

And, in blue come the excuses for poor playing. Please skip if bad excuses annoy you:The parts that I really practiced were the fast riff near the end of the song and the solo. I failed to make a decent recording of either one. 10 PM the neighbours call complaining about my playing, so the 'rents kindly ask me to drop it for the night. I decide to take a few desperate shots at the beginning that I had hardly practiced, and the results are there to be heard. Quite sloppy, a couple of big fumblings, but not completely bad. Had I, say, an hour longer to practice this, it could actually have been good. [/end excuses] :D

Anyway... this is the long awaited... effort... I'll move on to the next piece and see if I can finally put together something I can be proud of.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Very Good. The only thing i can find fault with, is the lack of Palm Muting on the low E. That's what gives the chuging sound. Other than that, i thought it was pretty wicked. Don't be so hard on your self, even though it's good for you to be hard on yourself :-?
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Angelfire is being a bitch to me atm :( I look forward to hearing it when I can though :D
Pezboy
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

[GPG] Pezboys choice : Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Post by Pezboy »

Ok guys,

This is a personal faverite of mine that ive been to scared to have a bash at :(. Try to get some Rectified distortion with Scooped Mids.

Im playing through a Washburn Super Strat with the bridge and mid pickups selected :)

Either have a go at the intro...the verse/fills...or the monster solo \m/ :D

Happy chugging :)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Nice, i'm up for that. It must be about 4 years since i last played that, and it should give me a chance to let you hear my new AXE.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

:o well i,ll give it a bash...problem is all those different riffs...as i,ve got a head like a sieve ..but i,ll do my best :)

Yo lucky Git Bigpops m8...i really want a jem , I used not to like the BSB but i really do now ...although if i got one i,d lacquer it :)

Wolf :)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

I would but some clear mat varsish on it (which i did to my mex strat, after i stained it), but i'm too scared :oops:
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Oh boy... Did I ever mention to you guys that I'm actually pretty darn slow? :oops: Has to do with the fact that I've always fingerpicked - Killing in the Name was actually the first song ever I learned with a pick. Ahem... So, this will probably turn out pretty embarassing. Sure, I'll probably get the riff OK but the solo will probably be a complete mutilation of the original. I guess it's about time that I take the bull by the horns, anyway... It'll probably only do me good to learn something faster. But it won't be pretty. Well, gotta go practice.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Heheh, just enjoy yourself DGV, that's the most important thing ;)
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam »

practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice ! :bg:
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

This'll be fun... My stuff has finally arrived so I can get some recordings going. I still need to record Killing in the Name... The annoying thing is, I want to record the whole thing, and a perfect 3 minute take is unsurprisingly hard to obtain :o
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Everybody might want to take a trip over to http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk and get his powertab for this song (and powertab editor to display/play it too)

It's even got the half hour solo in it too :D
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Actually, that reminds me. Do any of you guys use GuitarPro? And what's that powertab thing like?