[GPG] Pezboys choice : Metallica - Ride the Lightning

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

I'm a guitar pro user :) www.mysongbook.com is the business :D
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Certainly is Icebus, Thanks. Another site i don't know how i managed to live without :oops:
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Anyone else finding this nigh on impossible to go past the rythm section up to the first solo, I'm ok until it starts doing the:-

Code: Select all

--17-14----14-14-17-17-19-14-17-14----14-17-17-19-14-|
--------17-------------------------17----------------|
-----------------------------------------------------|
But after that I'm lost. I'm finding it hard enough to remember that much of it!
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Well, I'm having problems with the entire solo, if that makes you feel any better. Actually I'm having timing problems, which is to say I take three times the required time to play the darn thing. :bg: Anyway, I'm also finding it exceptionally hard to memorize this solo. And it's not just because it's so long, I've done long solos before. The main riffs are pretty easy, though I find picking the fast part, the one with the sixteenths, hard to do accurately. But I guess that has to do with the fact that I'm new to this whole picking thing. I'm still trying to work out which way it's most comfortable to hold.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

I,m not even gonna bother learning the solo :)....i am fine at the taping bit but after that i get lost ..i,m exactly the same in that i have a sieve like head and can never remember solo,s ..unless i really like the song.

It,s more widdle than memerable anyhow :).......when i was in a covers band i would generally learn the memerable parts and play the rest as best i could.

TBO when i saw Mettalica...most of the solo,s seemed to me only to be an approxomation of the recorded version...so i thought when i rome so to spk.....Marty friedman in an article i once read tabbed the live and recorded riffs and solo,s to a lot of there songs....so that proved my theory.

Admitadley this argument is flawed as were recording it....but as i get nervous and sweaty on recording a simple riff i,m not gonna try any solo,s just yet lol :)

Wolf:)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

The thing is, I'm not in the position to fake it. I can't say "Ah I see this is in the F sharp Dorian so I can just bluff it with these notes", because my theory is non existent. I've never learned a proper solo before (Only Muse stuff, and I know that off by heart in my head already), and I don't know Ride the Lightning that well, so it kinda of doesn't help when it comes to learning it... Hmmm :(
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

im afraid i cant partake in this weeks tune. sorry guys, i got a lot on my plate at the moment.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

np mate. BTW I'm aiming to arrive on Thursday afternoon for Reading, does that suit ok?
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

IceBus wrote:The thing is, I'm not in the position to fake it. I can't say "Ah I see this is in the F sharp Dorian so I can just bluff it with these notes", because my theory is non existent. I've never learned a proper solo before (Only Muse stuff, and I know that off by heart in my head already), and I don't know Ride the Lightning that well, so it kinda of doesn't help when it comes to learning it... Hmmm :(

Lol..yeah my theory is only passable :)..what i tend to do is look/or listen for a repetitive pattern which mr Hamet is very good at lol...he,s doesnt wander too far he might get lost..if only i had his speed :D

The only thing about GPG is it makes me wish i was still in a band :(

Oh well one of thses days ..i might get into one again:)

Wolf :)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

There's just a fair few patterns to remember, I'm not used to learning solos yet :| I wish I had my PG video...
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

I've just spent the last two and a half hours learning the solo. I'm almost upto the decending arpeggios bit, just a couple more bars to learn. Once i get to the arpeggios, it should start going a little quicker, as they're repeated so often.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I'm just gonna have to grind it out tomorrow I suppose... Wish me luck!
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Every time i listen to my recorded atempt it gets worse...but everytime i play it it gets worse lol..so i probably post what i,ve recorded later.

Wolf;)
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

Having now listened to the original I now know what is taking you all so long this week.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Hides :oops: here,s my terrible attempt at it..i kept getting sweaty wobbly hand syndrom or SWHS:D

here it is :/

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Wolf my friend, there's nothing whatsoever to be ashamed of! It sounded good! 8) Of course, I'd like to hear everybody's version of the solo, since that's what's giving me all these headaches. But if I can't do any better than I'm doing right now (which isn't at all good, unfortunately) I might also not record the solo. :|
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

That's very good mate :) Something to be proud of! <applies more Fast Fret>

BTW Can anyone offer me any advice on learning the solo, I just can't seem to remember any of it :( What sort of chunks are you guys learning it in?

Thanks,

Peter
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

:) Thanks Guys .

Thats the problem I was having Icebus m8....i can play almost every part of the solo as say 3 bars or so but cannot get it to combine ..i just cant remember it....

As i said before if i was playing it for a Gig i just play arpegios with the same notes and sorta bluff it....but i cant for the life i me rember how it starts ends etc....I just think it,s not very tunefull...the really great solo,s normally have a sort of Hook you can remember to really sink your teeth into.

I might still have a go at the solo....but it,s like holy wars i,m stillwrking on it lol.....another few years :)

My Choice will be Easier so dont worry...i,m sure Bigpops probably know it already :bg:

Wolf;)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Here's my attempt

Rhythm guitar, with backing upto the solo

solo part 1

solo part 2 - This was my best go at it. There's a mistake in the arpeggio section. I've been playing this song for 5 hours now, so this'll have to do.

Tips for Icebus (and anyone else that wants to tackle this monster solo):

I found it best, when learing the solo, to learn it in phrases. I'll give you the Guitar Pro bar numbers for the sections i learned, so you can see how i learned it.

Bars 88 - 92 : The tapping section
Bars 92 - 95 : Nice little Em phrase.
Bars 96 - 99 : The sliding octaves
Bars 100 - 103 : The high bit at frets 19 - 22
Bars 104 - 107 : The monster F# minor penatonic lick. Hammet uses variations of this in practically every solo. Use pull-offs where possible (Hammet does, but it's not shown in the tab).
Bars 108 and 109 : Just a few bends
Bars 110 and 111 : Another pentatonic lick along the lines of the first, but shorter, again, use pull-off where possible.
Bars 112 and 113 : Another favourite Hammet lick that crops up often. Play pull-offs on all the 17 - 14 and 19 - 14 notes on the top E, and pick the rest.
Bars 114 and 115 : Decending triplet lick, again in F# minor pentatonic. Pick all these notes.
Bars 116 and 117 : More of the same
Bars 118 and 119 : An ascending triplet run on one string. (E minor i think)
Bars 120 and 123 : Dunno what this is supposed to be. The rhythm's all over the place, and the runs is in E minor
Bars 124 - 127 : Some unison bends, followed by an E minor pentatonic lick in the same manner as before, and then some more bends.
Bars 128 - 131 : Acsending run on the top 2 strings. Each pattern is repeated twice, except the last.
Bars 132 - 139 : The descending arpeggios. Am, G, Gm A
Bars 140 - 147 : More of the same, with F, G and Bb, then variations on the top one, changing it from C major to something else. Then F G and Bb again. Now you're done.

Every time i learned a new section; i'd play the solo from the begining, upto the point where i got lost.

It took me about 4 hours to learn it all, but not all at once. And about 10 minutes for the rhythm (i used to know it but i forgot it 8) )

Hope this helps sir. If you can nail this one, you can probably play 90% of Hammets solos, coz all his tricks are in this one.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

:bg: really great Bigpops m8.....Wish i had you patience and technique......a few years ago before I knackered my hand and gave up playing i would have been more inclined to tackle it.

But i,m building up slowly as i,ve almost had to start from stratch...I am really enjoying the GPG :)

At the moment i wouldnt have the patience to sit down and learn one solo for 4 hours...as i,m still trying to practise as much as I can .

Anyhow thanks for inspring me :D

Wolf :)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Thanks a lot Bigpops mate, that breakdown will really help me, I just hope I can get it nailed in two days now! The pressure is on :o

Your version is awesome Bigpops, as usual :bg:
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Whoa, Bigpops! That really rocked, man! Excellent job... once again. :D Unfortunately, I do fear me that one week might not be enough for me to learn the solo well enough to record it. I know I still have a couple days left, but it's not looking good. The part that I've been practicing the most is the one you dubbed the monster F# pentatonic lick. It just seems to take me ages to run through that. It's sort of discouraging to feel like I've lost a lot of speed and dexterity from my left (fretting) hand over the past year (not that I was fast enough a year ago, but it feels like I was better and faster, anyhow), since I wasn't able to play virtually at all during the last year, but on the other hand, progress does seem to be quite rapid right now. Just, unfortunately, not rapid enough! :lol:
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I'm up to bar 103 now thanks to Bigpops... I'm having real trouble with these 22nd fret full bends on a strat though :| I'm assuming it's a lot easier on a guitar with 24 frets?
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Access to the 22nd fret is certainly easier on a 24 fret guitar. I play 10's, and I can bend the top E on the 21st fret on my 21 fret strat upto an E (3 fret bend) so it's probably a strength thing. It is easier on a short scale guitar though, eg. My PRS, or one of those Les Paul things (though you mush have hands like Hendrix if you can get to fret 22 on a LP :P )

Are you using 9's or 10's these days? I must confess, that was played on 9's, coz my Ibanez came with a brand new set on, and it seemed a shame to waste them; though i almost wore them out :bg:
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I'm playing 10's as per usual, I gave up pixie strings a while back :bg: I'm usually ok strength wise, I must admit I only usually use bends on the lower frets (16 and down...) GPG is really bad for me, I'm seriously considering getting a second guitar for speedy stuff :o