Community, Identity, Stability.
Rules & announcements concerning ixyl.co.uk and the forums.

Moderator: Thought Police

kenjafield
Alpha (Conditioned)
Alpha (Conditioned)

Post by kenjafield »

How about having a male "member" as an avatar? As the post count goes up, so does the member!
jonesc2ii
Minister of Propaganda

Post by jonesc2ii »

I already give people an inferiority complex.
ixyl - your post-coital political portal
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

You actually want that kenja? :| :roll:
hanohtep is saying is that the material world doesn't work that way
"Goat Boy is here to please you..."
kenjafield
Alpha (Conditioned)
Alpha (Conditioned)

Post by kenjafield »

Jones, always pointing to the stars, eh?
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Soviet. As always.
Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam »

How about ranks staying similar but people being given more titles for participation (i.e. Bat is Master of Barkeeping, Dakko is unoffically the Jaw Tanning Master) no high participationthen normal avs as they are?? Thoughts?
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

<poll deleted - to be superceded by more specific poll>
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Nat
Alpha (Conditioned)
Alpha (Conditioned)
Location: Half way down a midge infested moor, Unscotlandland

Post by Nat »

Kajun wrote:Nat: so custom avatars would be either the current avatars (made smaller) or uploaded ones by the users? (or a choice of both)?

There may be other ways to integrate the avatars into the forums - say each forum has a difference badge in the top right corner...?
Yeah you could set it just to allow gallery or custom avatars, but it could end up being pretty incongrous if some people use the uniform badges and others use their own...I think you'll be wanting this if you set custom avatars...

Default Avatar: This MOD shows a default avatar for user who don't have set an avatar. The default avatar mus be set in template config file. You can also specify an avatar for the guest user !

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/downloads/act ... =go&id=190

... then you could just have 1 default avatar if the user doesn't set one and and then you can turn the badges in forum/cat logos...

Adding an image for each forum and/or category would be very easy. Add a var to the template that links to an extra column in the relevant table and that SHOULD do it.

Do you want me to attempt it on my test board or do you have a testing board already?

Sorry about the plodding in this post - I was thinking out loud ;) give me a shout on msn
"Sometimes democracy must be bathed in blood" - Augusto Pinochet
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Sounds good Nat. I've got a test board but I tend to just add the mods when the forums are live, makes life interesting for everyone to have a few fatal SQL errors every couple of weeks. :D

The vote must come first but I appreciate the suggestions and will probably take it into consideration if the vote turns that way...
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

I just really think avatars based on post count are a good thing, as they let newer members know who's been around longest and therefore know who to ask for help. I've argued this long and hard elsewhere and tbh I'm too tired to repeat all I said then.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

IceBus, I entirely agree. But I think it's important to note that this isn't the same style of 'advice' and information forum as we see on Overclockers, for example. Experience here doesn't necessarily mean correctness. It's a tricky one, but I see your point in that recognition of participation is very valuable.

In that respect, perhaps it is time to propose 'special ranks', such as Bat's Master Of Barkeeping. If valuable members were 'promoted' (by consensus) to a certain position, then new members would indeed know who to turn to in, for example, the Music forum, if they had questions.

One potential issue with that is that people would try very hard to attain such a status - but to that, I say go ahead, be the best poster you can be. :)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Point taken, sorry I still sometimes expect to be asked how to dissassemble a motherboard in 10 minutes and reset the CMOS :D

As you say, the possibility of recognition through excellance of posting can only improve the general quality of posting over here at Ixyl.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

I think I am warming to the idea of appointing special ranks to people who have excelled in their participation. I make no secret of respecting Overclocker UK's Member Of The Week concept, and I don't want to rain on their parade by copying it. But there is indeed the opportunity to 'reward' valuable members with certain merits, and I do believe that should be done wholeheartedly. Not only will it create a more positive atmosphere within the contributing forums, but it will perhaps encourage new members to achieve such great feats. It will certainly not be based on things such as period of time spent on ixyl, or the number of posts, but purely on the amount of passion they put into the forums: in that, new and old members have no distinction but what they offer.
Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam »

I agree K!
Charmaka
Alpha (Conditioned)
Alpha (Conditioned)

Post by Charmaka »

And I have to say, I'd rather see more along the lines of "Master of Barkeeping" than, say, "Music Guru" or whatever - quirky is good, IMO.
"Why do you hate America so much?"(TM)
Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam »

I agree, music guru is pish! Ixyl should not be!
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

Another vote for Quirky.

We don't want any special aviators to be to boring otherwise they wouldn't stand out as being special
Charmaka
Alpha (Conditioned)
Alpha (Conditioned)

Post by Charmaka »

We don't want any special aviators at all, unless we set up a flight sim forum...
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

God Charmaka I missed you while you were away, even Jones has given up taking the piss out of my spelling but I can always rely on you
Charmaka
Alpha (Conditioned)
Alpha (Conditioned)

Post by Charmaka »

Someone has to do it, huh?