[GPG] Bigpops' choice - BURN by Deep Purple

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Here,s my attempt :oops:

I spent about an hour learning the solo ...and thought i,d got it but every time I tried to record it it got worse..I had about 4 sheets of A4 with the tab on it stuck to my Monitor and keyboard lol..so sorta played along..hence the delay.

Must admit Bigpops I think your idea of humming it helped ..should have spent longer listening to it ..I suppose.

I made up a few bits here and there ..Unfortunatley the midi track is louder otherwise It wouldnt have sounded so bad.

Must admit I really enjoyed this tune and am determined to try to improve the solo when I get time...Made me realise Just how Impressive your version was Bigpops. Every time I listen to it ...It makes me want to burn my guitar it,s so good..but then again Practise makes Improvements. It,s made me realise apart from basics my biggest problem is timing,I always seem to be out.

Anyway here it is Purple

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Just a quick note: I have added Deep Purple - Burn to my artist page:

www.guitar.com/artists/DGV/

but it's only the intro/main riff. I'll see if I can get the solo up (I naturally have it practiced down to perfection... or not) tomorrow.

I'll also listen to yours tomorrow, Wolf, and give you some feedback. I would tonight but the computer is being confiscated by my parents and I don't get it back till tomorrow. Until then...
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Wolf:

Not bad. I reckon with some more listening to the track, and some practice, you could equal my version.

DGV:

Not bad, all the note's are there, and it doesn't sound too bad. Here's a tip: Try to relax as much as you can while your playing. Let your fingers flow. The more comfortable with your instrument you become, the faster you'll learn, and the better you'll sound.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Wolf - really really good mate. You've got it pretty well down and with only a little more practise (i.e. time to internalise the riff, as playing wise it's fine) I think it'd be absolutely perfect.

DGV - Not bad basically everything Bigpops said is true. I kind of got the impression you were rushing yourself, which ties in with him saying you need to relax a bit. It's better to play it really slowly while learning then speed up once you've got it nailed. I tend to rush things too and it's only since I started using a metronome that I've felt like I'm playing within my own limits better. I really can't praise metronome practice enough for improving your timing and truly getting your playing on the beat, and I can hear a distinct difference in listening to my GPG stuff recorded with a metronome and without.

I wanted to get mine done today, but it was my birthday so I didn't get round to it :bg: I'll do it tomorrow and post details of our next contender... <suspense>
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Ok here's my version of the rythm section (my first track with backing too :bg:). It's not 100% as I messed up a wee bit of the bridge but I think it's probably the best continuous take I'll get.

Burn - Rythm

Burn - Neoclassical - I know this is a pigs ear but I thought I might as well try it.

Let me know what you think,

Peter
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Well Done!

If you can mute the strings a little better, then that neo-classical section will be spot on! (And will impress your mates no end!)

As for the rhythm section. If you introduce a couple of pull-offs into the riff, it'll sound a little more fluid. Plus, it should be easier to play.

I hope you don't think i'm being too critical (Icebus and DGV). I'm just trying to help. Please tell me where to go if you want :)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

No not in the least, I'm happy to have some input, the end result is to improve from this and thats a lot easier when you know what you're doing wrong.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Thanks for your kind coments :)....I,m definatlet gonna plug away at this one :)

DGV- Nicce one m8 :D

As the others have said...Just relax m8....When I first tried to record this one I had a few goes then switched on record and found my heart racing ..and I started getting nervous lol......then my hands froze up...I decided the way to do it now is learn it..then just doodle..then sorta recored it first new take (if that makes sense )...

Icebus-I really like your neo classical bit...sounded really nice m8
...I should have spent a bit longer learning it..rather than my usual doodle around the right scale type playing i normally do lol.

The rythmn part was god also...I ended up using pulloffs to play the Riff although there,s the odd slide lol..but I just couldnt get it smooth.

Must admit though both of you are really Improving.....Which is what it,s all about.

Punky m8..just play what you,ve got ..Dont be embarrased m8....If you dont mind a bit of critism..you might get steered in the right direction....I just wish when I started playing I had ha d something like this rather than hours of playing Like crap to myself and getting nowhere :( :bg:

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Wolf, thanks for your kind comments :) I definately think you've improved a lot too, your playing has a lot more confidence to it now and I'm really glad you're enjoying GPG, I'm just glad it's working :bg: I've actually been practising a lot more because of GPG - i.e. I don't want to sound like an amateur when I play at the end of the week. So I've started doing scales and more metronome work.

I agree Ben, you should give the riff a blast it doesn't matter if you don't record much of it.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

You're actually all right, but I didn't know it sounded so clearly through the playing. I was rushing it, as I said my 'rents confiscated my computer and that meant I was literally in a helluva rush so I was obviously playing it that way. I usually do use a metronome (or actually Guitar Pro playing the backing track for me which actually does the same thing) when I play but not this time, as I was so pressed for time. I really appreciate the fact that you pointed this out, it's great to hear honest opinions since one gets so much more out of criticism than from just "you sounded okay". That's actually why I think that Bigpops gets the least out of this, since we can't really criticize... But I am sure this has to broaden your horizons a lot, which is really extremely important imho.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

I don't get the least out of this, believe me!

What i get, is the chance to learn new songs - ones that i'd NEVER have played (or in most cases heard). I hope i inspure you all to want to be better players, as you inspire me. I get to offer a few tips to my fellow musicians, to try and make them better players.

The people that get the least out of this, are the ones that don't take part.

And on that note, come on Punky, post your efforts. This should EASILY be within your skills. You have something which is very hard to teach, and that's a feel for the instrument. Please don't waste it.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I'm really glad you do enjoy it too Bigpops, as you've certainly taught me a hell of a lot when it comes to playing dynamics and learning strategies. It does make me want to continue playing guitar whenever I see (or in this case hear) what you can do - as I occassionally feel I'm not making progress and wonder why I even bother.

I just think it's cool that there's a real range of talent here, but regardless of that everyone gets something out of the song each week - whether it's a blazing new solo or some solid rythm chops. I just am really glad this has taken off like it has, as originally I worried it'd be a complete flop :)

I just wish it didn't give me GAS so badly :bg:
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

Icebus - Thats brilliant mate... one of your best recording. :)

Bigpops - Are you sure you didn't just remove the vocals from the mp3 :P
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Alright, just noticed I forgot to comment!

IceBus: Like the others said, you're definately improving. Your playing sounds a lot better than on the early ones. You make me ashamed that I didn't record the neo-classical bit.

Wolf: I did notice where you "doodled around the right scale type playing" (I think - I hope I'm not completely off with this) but only in a couple of spots and for the most part it sounded just right. And even in those parts it didn't sound wrong at all, sounded just as good. As for your playing, hell, it's good. Your playing really sounds nice and clean.