[GPG] "Live in a Hiding Place" by Idlewild

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

I had fun with this one. I can't say that I've learned this real good, since my fingers get all tired from the playing (someone hasn't been playing enough... *cough*) and somewhere around the third minute it starts to sound sloppy. Real sloppy. Anyway, the next week is just too hectic and I really wanted to give this one a go so I just recorded what I was able to this weekend.

www.guitar.com/artists/DGV/

By the way, does this artist page thing bother you guys? I quit looking for a new server for the ol' music files since I found shelter at guitar.com but I know it's a little extra to go through my "artist page" etc. so basically if it bothers you I could get back to looking. As for the sound file, you can really hear me tiring out at the end. But I am, once again, pressed for time. Oh, btw, on Bigpops's suggestion I did this with Cakewalk Guitar Track. Once I learned to use it it was a lot of fun to work with. The overdubs should be in better sync now.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

[GPG] "Live in a Hiding Place" by Idlewild

Post by Ice »

I thought I'd go for something a little different this week, so this is a relatively new little number that'll be fairly testing I should think. I hope everyone enjoys it :bg:

I've uploaded an MP3 and tab of it, so you can get cracking right away.

MP3

Tab

Peter
Last edited by Ice on Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

It must be new. I heard this on the radio on the way home from work.

I'll have a crack at this later today.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Just to let you know, the tab was wrong but I've corrected it now so it should be ok if you refresh it.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Phew at least I,ve only got to tune down a teeny weeny bit lol :bg:

Just downloading now .....I must admit I like listening to new stuff....cos Most of the things on GPG I wouldnt normally have listened to and I think i,ve pretty much enjoyed listening to them all :D

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I'm deliberately choosing stuff that I myself love, and therefore influences my playing. I don't get the chance to learn as much as I'd like to during the week, so I tend to choose something I've had my eye on for a while :bg:
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

Oooh what a lovely song. I might be able to play this one. shock shock.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Okay, never heard that song before. Should be interesting.

You actually bring up a point there, IceBus. I was just thinking yesterday that if you guys would be interested, I could pick a few songs that literally none of you have ever heard, that's to say, Finnish songs, songs that I personally like. That might really give you something completely different. There are a couple at least that I have in mind that might be nice enough even if you don't understand a word of the song. And then again some Finnish bands also sing in English which is actually aside the point... Anyway, I'll only go that way if there's genuine interest. (My next pick has already been done, and it won't be Finnish no matter what, but after that we could try that if you're interested) I really don't want to have to shove this down all your throats. Let me know.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I'm happy to try anything tbh - as variety is the spice of life and all that :D I'm a big fan of Children of Bodom so I'd be happy for them to crop up ;) :bg:

Basically choose anything you want, I'm happy as long as I enjoy playing it :)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

The artist page thing is no problem at all for me, I'm just glad I was able to get you a host :D

Ummm btw, where did you get Cakewalk Guitar Track?

Very good effort for just three days work as well mate, with a tiny bit more practice it'd be totally wired :D I've been a touch out of commission with flu the last few days so I'll hopefully get round to it soon.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Really coming on nicely DGV..that is your best effort yet imho.

You have definatley listened to it more than me..cos I thought your timing was very good m8.

Funny you saying about loosing it at 3 mins ..I was the same lol...It all starting going in various directions...I also got a bit confused on the lead bit as it all sounds a bit the same...You had that nailed really well m8 :D

My Go

Must admit i,m the same have a busy week so thought I,d have a quick bash as well.....even had a go on my Bass guitar as well :)

Wolf;)
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

oh forgot to say DGV

Artist page is fine..as long as we get to hear you I,m not bothered where you post :)

The idea of Finnish music sounds a great idea m8....I really like the idea of learning other stuff....I,d quite like to hear some in you native tongue ..so dont worry about it being in English m8.

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Very good indeed wolfy mate - spot on for tone as well :D I'm really itching to get a proper go at this myself.

DGV, what chord did you hit at the very end? As it's the right one but I didn't tab it properly :)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

DGV: Pretty good. The sync is much better. Now get practicing and get those fingers strengthened :P

Wolf11: Awesome. The bass really makes it complete.

I've not even started on this one yet, so this time it's me playing catch-up.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Thanks for the comments, fellas.

I downloaded a demo version, one of those thirty day trial periods - somewhere. I did quite a bit of searching till I found it. Nice software, but a *tad* expensive to register.

The chord I hit at the end was:

x
x

I'm glad you approve of my artist page. Also, due to a fairly good response on my idea of picking Finnish music I just might do that at some point.

Wolf, I really liked your version. Very nice.

Bigpops, I know! It's funny how you only notice the lack of practice when you play something significantly longer. Those nasty buzzing sounds I made really annoy me. Just couldn't get it any better in the weekend. Believe me, I've started playing at every opportunity I get.

BTW, since I don't have a pickup in my acoustic I'm really thinking of getting a mic for my computer. Acoustic playing just does it for some songs.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Thanks for your Kind comments :)

I,ve been meaning to have a go at playing a Bass line for a while ..and this seemed the perfect song .

Must admit I really enjoy playing my Acoustic now ..and When we started GPG I hated these sort of plucky type acoustic things where,as now I like them :)

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Yeah, I know Wolf, it's funny how one's musical taste evolves. I've actually noticed that my musical taste goes in cycles. Periodically I'll always come back to certain artists and styles.

Incidentally, am I next?
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

It's Wolfy up next, according to this anyway (http://www.ixyl.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 3326#33326)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

I'll learn and record this tomorrow. I'm afraid UT2K3 has kind of taken most of my free time this week, but the novelty's waring off now.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Never played UT.

I play CS Most nights in a Clan ....our aim was to be the worst clan on Clanbase....we are nearly getting there but unfortunatley nearly won a game that didnt help :bg:

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Thanks for the link, IceBus. I didn't think of looking there... :oops:
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

NP, that's what I'm here for - the help run the group. It had lost it's stickiness so I'm not surprised you didn't look there ;)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Here's my go at this one. If i could have got a backing track, i'd probably have put more effort in. Feel free to give me a beating.

Please excuse my questionable timing :oops: I just played along to the second verse of the track.

Here's the link: BoneIdle.mp3

I put a couple of arpeggio's on the front. It just gives a better impression of what key the song is in.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Hardly what i,d call Boneidle Bigpops m8 :D

I really liked the Arps at the beggining ..they sounded really nice.

I must admit I really love the sound you get for all your guitar sounds ...It makes my Humble Vamp2 sound pretty lame..you just seem to get such clarity (probably your tidy playing as well :) ) ...you can hear evry note.

I,ll wait till tommorow night to post to give the last couple a chance to post ..Unless you want me to post my choice now ish Icebus m8 ..(havnt really decided...)
Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

No rush, unless you want to post :) I'm gonna be recording mine tomorrow, I have been working on it, I just haven't been out of bed with flu so it's been a bit hard to get a recording down.

Bigpops lovely clean version there :) Is that the acoustic simulator on the GT6?