[GPG] "Live in a Hiding Place" by Idlewild

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

That is the acoustic simulator on the GT6 yes. I just used that, and some reverb, throught the s/p-dif out ont the gt6, into the s/p-dif in on my SBLive! Platinum 5.1. As for the clarity, maybe the fact that i used hybrid picking (pick and fingers) helped. All the bass notes were played with the pick, and my middle and ring fingers on the others.

If you want to hear a good acoustic simulator, then have a look at this http://www.line6.com/PODxt/listen.htm and listen to the top sample. I was amazed!
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

The acoustic simulator on the POD sounds marvelous, the GT6 aint to pretty though :( , kinda sounds a bit trebbly and spangly. Nice playing though as always. I've tried recording sooo many time, i'll get it right soon.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

punky_munky wrote:The acoustic simulator on the POD sounds marvelous, the GT6 aint to pretty though :( , kinda sounds a bit trebbly and spangly. Nice playing though as always. I've tried recording sooo many time, i'll get it right soon.
You can change the "top" (treble) and "body" (bass) from 0 - 100 each on the GT6. I'm sure there's a good sound in there somewhere, but i haven't found it yet.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

I thought the GT6 as pretty passable. I've got to say the POD XT is next on my to-buy list after the RG570. Some of the patches on the test sound awesome, others awful (Purple Haze and the Brian May patch especially are bad!) - which is why I'd like to hear a user have a fiddle with it and set up their own patches to hear what it's really capable of. I'd especially like to hear someone get a good metal crunch out of it as well as a sparkly Fender lead tone. I'm recording this morning, I just need to wake up, warm up and crack on :bg:
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

I can get a similar sound from my zoom505, unfortunately I totally forgot how I got it and now I've got a really shite sound. I'm in the mood for some recording right now, maybe i'll go home early to do it. Hmm, its either gonna be electric clean or acoustic with a crap PC mic taped to it.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

As promised here's mine. Fender Strat through a Marshall DSL401, middle and neck pickup with a touch of reverb to taste :) This was done in more than one recording section as I couldn't play it through perfectly in one go (just so you know I had trouble with it too :D)

Idlewild - Live in a Hiding Place

Let me know what you think :)

Peter
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Very nice IceBus. Very nice. You playing sounded somehow smoother than on previous ones. Good work.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

That'll probably be the reverb combined with the sweep-ish picking :) Thanks :bg:
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

Very good Peter, you've really improved since we began this little adventure.

Here's mine http://www.jammyjamjam.34sp.com/~ben/mp3s/idle.mp3

there are multiple f*ck-ups but I'm not recording it again... I've spent far too much time doing that :dg:
del
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by del »

Oi, Peter, you could have at least credited me for my tab!
:o
I'll see if i can get something online sometime soon... seeing as i can play this back to front *AND* sing it...
del
This is not the greatest post in the world, this is just a tribute.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Really good Ben, lovely measured playing and the timing stayed spot on throughout (something I appreciate as I found it hard!). That's really good mate.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

del wrote:Oi, Peter, you could have at least credited me for my tab!
:o
I'll see if i can get something online sometime soon... seeing as i can play this back to front *AND* sing it...
del
Arggg! Sorry I thought your tab had your contact details et al at the top, I'm really sorry. I wasn't thinking <slaps forehead> :oops: :(

Sorry mate!

Can we have a round of applause and thanks to del for the tab he created?
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Nice one Punky! Good touch, nice sound.

Applause for Del!!! :bg:
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

DGV wrote:Very nice IceBus. Very nice. You playing sounded somehow smoother than on previous ones. Good work.
I agree 100%. I think this is your best work, by far.

If you can capture the feel of other/future songs as well as you do this one, then your on your way.

Punky:

Pretty good. Nice to hear you put your talents to use.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Wow thanks a lot Bigpops (btw pop in here). I don't know if I found it easier to capture the feeling of this song because I know it inside out. I'll have to try a lot harder to listen to the song we're learning more, as I found it a lot easier to know what I was doing when I knew the song so well. <beams>
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

BTW I've just realised I tabbed the last chord wrong, well not wrong exactly but the proper full voicing of F#5 sounds better, which is:-

Code: Select all

Eb||--3----------------||
Bb||--3----------------||
Gb||--7----------------||
Db||--5----------------||
Ab||--5----------------||
Eb||--3----------------||
Sorry :)
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

ICEBUS-

Like the others have said very nice indeed..it really flowed..the Chorus (i think ) which you obviously added in really impressed me cos

It made me realise I hadnt really listened tothe song lol, which is what bigpops has been saying ..When i can afford it, i,m gonna buy an MP3 player so I can listen to the songs while wrking..as I think this will probably help.

You really have put the effort in m8 and It,s beggining to show .

PUNKY-

On the whole I thought it was good m8....There,s a few hiccups here and there ..but I know what a bitch recording can be (mine alwys get worse and worse.) All i will say m8 is each time you do GPG it gets easier..Not the playing ..Just the confidence to reocord what you,ve got Good or bad...

You,ve got nothing to worry about though m8..cos of the stuff you have recorded ...all of it,s been ok :bg: ..so no excuses now :)

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Yeah I must say I've gotten very used to the recording aspect now which does make the whole thing a lot easier when you aren't shaking while trying to play :)

GPG has just given me the impetus to practice guitar a lot more than I ever have, and I usually pick my guitar up once an hour just to noodle around or practice the weeks song. I've even started working on my technique hard now (metronome, scales and Paul Gilbert video :bg:). My timing has definately improved with the metronome so I can only recommend it.