[MLG] Icebus' Choice 01/11/02

Moderator: Thought Police

Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

[MLG] Icebus' Choice 01/11/02

Post by Ice »

It's been a while since I've done this so I hope I still remember how lol. Here's the choices:-
  • Soundtrack of Our Lives - "21st Century Rip Off"
  • Feeder - "Comfort in Sound"
  • The Music - "Getaway"
  • Tool - "Stinkfist"
Basically that's a little combination of what I've been listening to lately. Some hard choices for which track to go for off each album, but I think those are probably the most typical/best/accessible. I recommend the entire Comfort in Sound album, as well as "Behind the Music" by TSOOL, "Aenima" by Tool and "The Music" by the Music. I'll do a little run down of what they all mean and why I've chosen them later on down the week.

If you have trouble getting hold of any of them, let me know and I'll sort something out.

Peter
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Working on these at the moment Ice.

I shall post ASAP.
hanohtep is saying is that the material world doesn't work that way
"Goat Boy is here to please you..."
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

Yippee Peter is having a go :BG: <fires up Kaaza>
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

MoneyPenny wrote:Listening to: Things I should have said - Myst
Nice :D
Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam »

<v upset> Thought it was my turn next :cry:
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Sorry I missed my go to let MP go...
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Re: [MLG] Icebus' Choice

Post by MoneyPenny »

IceBus wrote:[*]The Music - "Getaway"

If you have trouble getting hold of any of them, let me know and I'll sort something out.
<cough> Guess who is having trouble finding a song :oops:
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Right folks, I've edited the list and swapped IceBus and MoneyPenny around and I've also added DaBeeeenster to the list.

Ice, I'm working on your choices. Probably post on Tuesday - going for a format of the hard drive tomorrow and a clean install of Windows.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Windows - clean? Muhahaha.
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

:P
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

The Getaway The Music

Heard this one on MTV2 originally and TBH I didn't like it. Listening to it properly now it has grown on me a little bit. Musically I like it - the singer's voice is kind of annoying though and I don't know whether it was just the copy I got or its meant to sound like this but the voice is almost inaudible which is annoying too. Overall opinion: good tune, lousy vocals.

[EDIT - I worked out what the problem was with the inaudible vocals - when I reinstalled my sound drivers it buggered about with my settings, sorted now. The voice still annoys but at least I can hear it now.]

Stinkfist Tool

Not my favourite song on Aenima, that accolade would probably go to Eulogy, or Forty Six & 2 but that's not to lower how good Stinkfist is. It's classic Tool - lyrically a song on two levels, the first being a song about anal fisting (not very often you get songs about that these days :roll:) but on the next level it's about how repetition leads to you become desensitised to the world. A great song.

21st Century Rip Off Soundtrack of Our Lives

There's technically nothing wrong with this song but it's trying to sound like Brown Sugar by the Rolling Stones. It has an okay sound but doesn't really go anywhere.

Comfort in Sound Feeder

I've never hidden my opinion that the Swim EP and for the most part Polythene are good albums but in my opinion Feeder went downhill after that. TBH, this track isn't too bad but it doesn't really progress anywhere. Maybe it's a positive change in Feeder's music - who knows. I'll just wait and see.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Seems my choices weren't all that good then :( Sorry
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Still working on getting these, post soon.
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

IceBus wrote:Seems my choices weren't all that good then :( Sorry
No, don't be. I said Stinkfist wasn't my favourite Tool song, doesn't mean I don't like it - it's a great song. I wasn't keen on the Soundtrack of our lives song, and the Feeder one was okay - still not as good as Feeder of old, but a lot better than Buck Rogers Feeder. ;)

As for The Music, it's growing on me. Listened to it a couple of times today. I think I can handle the voice now...give me time. :)
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Re: [MLG] Icebus' Choice

Post by Hanohtep »

Getaway The Music

I really feel like I should stick with my first opinion of this song as when I first heard it it really bugged me. But I can't help it, I keep goin back and listening to it again - it's like a parasite that's growing on me...

...oh well, I actually quite like it now.
DaBeeeenster
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DaBeeeenster »

I think the feeder track is fucking great. I've not heard anything else by feeder - do they have a seminal album or what?
"All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so. They're stupid." - Bill Hicks
My Travels Blog
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

DaBeeeenster wrote:I think the feeder track is fucking great. I've not heard anything else by feeder - do they have a seminal album or what?
Personally I'd recommend Swim the very first EP they released in 1996.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

For Feeder's seminal work I'd say "Polythene" which is their second album. Swim is a good EP but for me "Polythene" and "Yesterday Went too soon" typify Feeder better. CIS is taken from their new album of same name - which is a real return to form - with some new flavours thrown in their too. Basically depends on what you want from a Feeder album.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

I think Polythene and Swim. But I haven't listened to the others properly. The B-sides from the Polythene era are actually probably the best tracks, so hopefully we'll have a release of them soon..
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Soundtrack of Our Lives - "21st Century Rip Off"

No. I agree with Hano - it's trying too hard to rip off something and never gets anywhere with it. Much rather listen to old music which sounds like this but has guts.

Feeder - "Comfort in Sound"

I was pleasantly surprised at this. A good return to form as Ice says. I might give 'em another shot if the rest of the album is like as this. Good job Feeder.

The Music - "Getaway"

Very cool. Dunno what Hano's moaning about with the voice when he listens to Neil Young and flamin' Mazzy Star. Well structured and layered - I shall look forward to hearing more.

Tool - "Stinkfist"

Tool rawk and Stinkfist isn't an exception. Good introductory song actually from a musical point of view, much like Schism. Not quite as scary as Lateralus or Eulogy but still gets the point across that this isn't music about cava and roses in a sunny field near Bethlehem.

Actually, I can imagine a Tool song beginning that way....
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I can tell you that the rest of "Comfort in Sound" is just as good, and maybe even better in places depending on your tastes. The Music album I've got, but haven't had time to listen to, so I'll try and do that and let you know what it's like in its entirity. I'm sorry the SOOL track is flopping, but I thought they were great at Reading :)