[MLG] Bat's Pick 05/12/02

Moderator: Thought Police

Bat
Regional Controller
Regional Controller

[MLG] Bat's Pick 05/12/02

Post by Bat »

Well I've been an absolute loser when it keeps to participating in the MLG, but Hano kindly gave me a kick up the arse. As I haven't got round to listening to everyone else's picks for ages, I won't take offence if you can't be bothered with mine! :D

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Don't Forget Me
White Stripes -Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground
U2 - All I Want Is You
Neil Young - Keep On Rocking In The Free World
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Hehe, some nice choices there Bat.

I'll get the proper listneing done soon! 8)
hanohtep is saying is that the material world doesn't work that way
"Goat Boy is here to please you..."
Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam »

Can't comment on them atm, i'm sure hano will let me hear them or let me d/l over msn fae his machine, he has all sorts of stuff oyu know!
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Have ye nae Hakkle 'n' Rum, Blam?
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

I've just done the first two so far. I'll edit the others in later.

Don't Forget Me Red Hot Chili Peppers

Possibly my favourite song from By The Way. By The Way is a strange album - I guess the Chilis have to evolve musically at some point but I don't know if By The Way is the album they should have recorded. It has some good tracks on it but for the most part it is fairly uninspiring. Don't Forget Me is certainly one of the more inspiring moments on the album.

Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground White Stripes

I love it. I've got the White Blood Cells album and really like it. The White Stripes seem to take there influences from everywhere from Bob Dylan, Black Sabbath and the Pixies and they aren't afraid to admit it. I really love this song - it's not my favourite song (that'll be The Same Boy You've Always Known) from the album but it's one of them.

All I Want Is You U2

I personally feel that U2 are a bit hit-or-miss with me when it comes to whether I like a song or not. I feel that they have written some fantastic songs (With or Without You, One, etc.), but then they also write ones that I feel are a bit crap (Elevation for one). Thankfully this is one song that I feel is great.

Keep On Rocking In The Free World Neil Young

Yus! A rocking song (as the name suggests) and the very first song I learned to play on the guitar (thanks to Kajun) although I've never tried the solo. As a result this song has a very special place in my heart. I've become a bit of a Neil Young fan over the last year, and although I prefer the earlier stuff such as The Needle and the Damage Done and Ohio this is still a superb song.
Last edited by Hanohtep on Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

:o

I hadn't even seen this I'll download now
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Edited in the Neil Young and U2 songs in my post.
MoneyPenny
Alpha (Free)
Alpha (Free)

Post by MoneyPenny »

After a swift boot up the bum from Hano I have finally listened to these, and I'm sorry to say none of them inspired me, if having no taste in music means that I don’t listen to stuff like this then I’ll stuck with no taste ;)
Bat
Regional Controller
Regional Controller

Post by Bat »

MoneyPenny wrote:After a swift boot up the bum from Hano I have finally listened to these, and I'm sorry to say none of them inspired me, if having no taste in music means that I don’t listen to stuff like this then I’ll stuck with no taste ;)
Nope, it doesn't mean you have no taste in music at all. No point beating yourself up over the fact that you can't be as amazing as me :bg:

Surely you must have bopped your head to the Neil Young track? just a little bit? :P
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Red Hot Chili Peppers ~ Don't Forget Me

RHCP have annoyed me a lot in recent albums - Californication was good but tame, and what I've heard from By The Way goes along the same route. Happily, this is an excellent track which crosses the boundaries of safe production and does something a little 'different', at least in comparison with other recent Chili singles. It could be better - the repetitive solo at the end could just rip away, but it's a return to form nonetheless. Still to listen to the rest of the album, but there is a distinct lack of stylisation and fun that happened in the pre-One Hot Minute era which I haven't yet seen...

White Stripes ~ Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground

To come.

U2 ~ All I Want Is You

One of U2's finest ballads, an eternally simple chord structure (used in plenty other ballads I could name ;) ) but polished well by the band and production team. Bono hits the spot once again in terms of lyrics and melody, and like much of the album, the song has new power when seen on the fantastic video, Rattle & Hum.

Neil Young ~ Keep On Rocking In The Free World

8) One day I'll DivX the version of me drumming this at the school gig... one day. Another simple construction but with extremely evocative lyrics and a telling message. It's nothing technically special, particularly Young's voice, but goes to show that the emotion of the song lies deeper than what you hear.
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

If Monsuier Punky is still playing then if he would be so gracious to post his selections now then it would be appreciated. :)