[GPG] Icebus' choice - "Just" by Radiohead

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

[GPG] Icebus' choice - "Just" by Radiohead

Post by Ice »

I've been wanting to learn this for a while now, and the Bends tab book was one of the first I got when I started out on guitar - I never actually managed to get around to learning anything out of it though! Without doubt my favourite Radiohead album, and this song is truly excellent, with a great video too :D

It's got about 3 guitar parts IIRC (acoustic, rhythm electric and lead) and there's also quite a few feels within the song so it should hopefully be enjoyable by all.

If anyone wants me to photograph the tab book and post it, let me know. The only problem I have found so far is that it's hard to get a decent drum midi for this, so I may have to try stripping the lyrics, guitars etc off the track with some form of software...

There was a lot of competition this week, I wondered about QOTSA, Metallica, Iron Maiden and some Children of Bodom but this won out :)

Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I know I will!

Peter
DingleBerry
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by DingleBerry »

great choice...although i seam to remember an octave pedal is needed....and ive never quite worked out how the git manages to make his guitar squeel quite like that...other squeelings i can do...bu not that one :(

i shall now be forced to strum faster than i would probaly like :bg: i do have the book though :bg:
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Everytime i hear this, i think of Beavis and Buthead saying "It gets cool in a minute". [edit] No it's not, thats Creep :roll: [/edit]

I did used to know this. It was in Guitar Techniques a few years ago. I don't remember it causing me any problems then, so we'll have to see.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Cool guys, I hope you don't mind it too much though Darren mate - it's just one I've wanted to learn for a long while and I'm hoping it'll rekindle my love of guitar
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

I don't mind in the slightest sir. I don't mind a bit of Radiohead. Paranoind Android is my favourite song though. I just love the intro.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

I,ll give it a go..dont know the song....Infact I dont really know Much radiohead..never really listened to them to form an opinion as to whether I like them...I,ll have to go off and find it now..How I envy you cable/ADSl peeps :(

Wolf;)
DingleBerry
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by DingleBerry »

be wary of the official songbooks tab...the score is right just the tab isnt quite...therse a mistake on the second slide of the manic struming bit..they mean 5 not six...just incase you have the book :)

and you need a 2 octave pitchshifter um maybe just 1 octave...i dont have eitehr though...and this tab book is buisy being wrong....dagnambit
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

You should be able to just about make a decent version using the official tab, the cd and MySongbook tabs :D. So far playing it with the tab book as a guide, I'm not having too many problems.
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

Oooh, finally, a song I like :D I might just have to join you on this one.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

As I,ve got a sore throat and think I,m coming down with Lergy:( .I thought I,d get something done ..

Must admit I havcnt heard much radiohead but really really like this song ..It's really grown on me the more I,ve listened to it.

Here,s my attempt

I played what I though was something like the Bass line as well ...probably nothiong like it..but in true wolf Stylee I couldnt resist a doodle :D

Wolf;)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Pretty good that Wolf. Especially for such a short space of time.

I've no idea when mine will be ready. I'm sick of messing with these new SBLive! drivers that refuse to detect my livedrive.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Darren - I didn't know there were new Creative drivers? I've just kept mine the same for ages now as they seem to work alright...

Wolf - Very good work indeed - especially as it's only a couple of days work and you also played three guitar parts as two - increasing difficulty substantially :) Good work buddy :D
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Thanks you 2

...must admit although I always say it ..when I feel better I,m going to learn the rest of this ...as I,m not really into this sort of stuff....but Quite liked playing it....different to what I usually play :D

On the subject of creative ,I think i,ll keep my drivers as they are then :)

Dont really like messing around to much with PC stuff ...as it usually goes wrong :cry:

Had any more thoughts on the 570 then Peter..I was seriosly thinking about going the whole hog and getting the 3120 but I now dont think Finances will stretch...I might just get a new pickup for my 350 instead :)..as I really like playing it ..it,s just that it doesnt have any balls :-?

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I'm thinking of doing it if I can yeah :) If I was going to go for a guitar in the price range of the 3120 - I'd go Jackson USA Soloist in a second. Those babies are just too nice :bg: If you want a pickup with balls - the EMG 81s are great lil pickups ;)
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Funny you say about EMG I did think about it...but I would then have to change all my pickups as you cant mix active/passive :(. I was looking at the Kirk hammet set as you get 3 ..but they dont seem to do one that has 2 buckers and a single coil like my 350 has got.

I was thinking about either a JB or a Screaming Demon (probably shit..but it sounds cool :bg: )

Still waiting for my uncle to ring ..so I can ask him whether he,d mind the extra hand luggage :)

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Damn I didn't know that about not being able to use passive and active together... I was planning on getting an EMG 81 for the bridge and leaving the Ibanez pickups as stock - as I only really need more power in the bridge... I'll have to think about that then, as the 570 has a single in the middle too...
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

I suppose you could just run it with the 1 pickup...if you liked that sound :)

Wolf;)
nine-bar
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by nine-bar »

Seems like a good choice this one Icebus, i like Radiohead so this will be fun=)
Also, at the weekend im going to get a lead so i can get this down, record it and post it if possible. Just that i have to set up a friends guitar for him over the weekend, its an old sg copy but darn its got character=) I can see myself wailing on that all day if im not careful=) But ill try to ween myself off it, im a sucker for old and battered guitars, they have a certan charm.
All this talk of changing pick ups reminds me of when i modified my Strat with a Humbucker at the bridge and changing the other 2, new pick guard, pots, coil taps etc. Was my first ever guitar hack job and amazingly it turned out well!! Shame a friend of mine has it now, im gonna have to get it back, if he will let me lol =)
So ill try to post this sometime next week for you all, see how it goes=)
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

Well I'd spent pretty much all day on this, and it sounded great. then the bastard computer decided it would throw it all out. And I started again, this time taking about 10 minutes to do it. It doesn't sound very good this time. As you can see im remaining calm.

http://www.jammyjamjam.34sp.com/~ben/mp3s/munkyjust.mp3

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Nice effort Punky m8 :)....really clear definition of parts .

Your acoustic cut through really nicely -(mine sorta got lost ).What did you use to record this ...?

Wolf;)

The all day version must have been very good m8..if this was the 10 minuter :( (cos this sounds great )
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

thanks for the praise, makes it seem worth doing. :)

The acoustic part is just my cheapy Stagg electro acoustic going straight into the line-in of my SB128 and the electric is a yamaha pacifica going into a Marshall8080 and then into the line-in. And for software I used N-Track.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Not bad that Punky.

GPG every week from now on for you sir. You KNOW you want to.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

My speakers are broken, so I can't listen to any of your productions till I get a new pair, I'm afraid. Also this will make it considerably harder for me to learn this song (I'm only starting today :oops: ) since I don't know it beforehand.

On another note, I've just had an epiphany. I need a new guitar. :o I've been playing the same old 40£ acoustic and 100£ electric since the day I started. I always knew my electric especially was crap (surprisingly, the cheaper acoustic is actually rather nice), but yesterday I was at this friend's house and played his guitar... and I realized that I could play a lot better with his guitar than with my own. It was easier, more comfortable, I didn't fumble as much, and I could even play faster. Now, thinking about this I've come to the conclusion that the biggest problem is that my strings are outrageously high off from the fretboard (terms, terms... is this called the guitar having high action?) compared to his, for example. Also, the actual fretboard was somehow better. I didn't have enough time to play with it to actually pinpoint the differences, but it was so much better it's not even funny. Then of course, it was some vintage 30-year old guitar (the brand slips my mind... bugger) so I needn't even go into the sound department which was really great imho. The thing is that now I've got this constant feeling that my guitar is hindering my progress. Any opinions? I've sort of planned on getting a new amp soon but now I want a guitar even more badly. :|

Edit: Apparently my friend's guitar was around thirty years old and the brand was Hofner. Nice guitar.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Hofners are lovely guitars, I've never played one myself but they're supposed to be very nice :) Apparently over time the wood absorbs some of the sound, and so a guitar just gets sweeter and sweeter. I think the pickups sort of bed in too but I could be wrong. :)

It seems like the GPG is giving all our members GAS atm, I'm sorry it's having a detrimental effect on all our pockets :D

On a side note, I've learned nearly all the parts of "Just" now, it's just getting one or two of them up to tempo and then being able to play all of the riffs at the right time on the trot. Also, those of you without whammys, feel very lucky, as it's a bloody nightmare trying to switch from +1 octave to +2 octaves mid solo... I'm assuming Jonny has some sort of midi controller for that...
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Ah, the old GAS. You have no idea how bad it was when i wanted a Jem. Months of agony.

These days i'm pretty resiliant to it. All that's left on my list is a Strat. I really want a Classic 50's one (Mexican) in shell pink. I saw one a few years ago for about £300. Trouble is, they only do the 60's one in shell pink now; and i'd it doesn't look as good with a rosewood board. I'd like one in vintage aswell. But they only do a couple of models in that colour (like Malmsteen's sig).

The other option is a relic strat (as per sig). But i won't be able to afford one until 2004 atleast. I remember playing my mates mothers 1961 Strat (yes, that right. a pre-CBS strat) when i first started playing. What a pitty i was too ignorant at the time to appreciate it. If only i knew some SRV stuff back then. I bet it'd have sounded stunning.