[GPG] Icebus' choice - "Just" by Radiohead

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
nine-bar
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by nine-bar »

hmm, according to a few online guitar retailers, there is apparently a new Jem 555 for 2003, im just wondering if this is true as i have not seen anything mentioned in the info threads on Jemsite.
Must say Bigpops that that is a sweet Jem you have there, is that the one where the body isnt clearcoated? I have been looking at the textured finish model, yummy, argh please help before i go on a spending spree!
On a serious note a new guitar and amplifier are going to be purchased this year, im thinking of a Marshall or a Mesa Boogie amp wise, i have been looking for an Orange but i cant seem to find their website?? Any links aprecciated =)
Ah well im off to drool some more =)
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Welcome aboard Penfold :D ...nice you,ve decided to give it a go :)

After listening to the click Version Peter I reckon it was probably the acostic bit being recoreded to a different click that gave the discrepency..or maybe it,s just my ears lol :)..still good though m8:D

I,ll wait and see on the new Ibanezs...I love my super thin Wizard neck ...I know the Jems is slighlty thicker /and I think Prestiges...It will be interesting what the differences are...I might still go for an old 570 I dunno :( ..so much choice lol.Must admit I am really considering a 7 string as well Nine-Bar m8....as I like some Korn stuff etc :)..plus it,s more notes for me to sound crap on :p

Wolf;)
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Thanks all for the welcomes. I've really enjoyed doing this. :D
I've completed it now, but have no webspace big enough; currently awaiting activation of a 34sp account. Neverthless I'll get it posted up as soon as I can. Might see if I can keep trying to get that final solo right, it's not easy is it! Quite big shifts in it, so I've had to pretty much busk it.
The sustained note before the final solo Jonny played using an E-Bow with the Whammy so that's why it's hard to recreate that sound.
Last edited by Penfold on Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nine-bar
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by nine-bar »

Thanks for the link Icebus, ill have a look :D
Thats the main reason why i am considering a 7 stringer, so i can get some nice and nasty low riffage, my current guitar down tunes to a certain extent and to be honest i dont really want to set it up to play like that forever. A 2nd guitar set up for this would be nice, just have to make my mind up which one to take to band practice, i know our bassist loves rocking out as shown by the big grin on his face whenever i play low and dirty heh heh, just got to convert the singer etc lol :D
Ill wait and see what the new Ibanez line has to offer, i think i saw some pictures but i cant find the link at the minute, needless to say they look tasty =)
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Thanks for the info about the E-bow Penfold, I had no idea what was how he did it... It might be possible to recreate with a delay if you managed to get a loop feeding back...
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Finally my piece of virtual real estate is clear for pillaging so my finished attempt is here: Penfold - Just (3.85Mb)

I'm pretty pleased with the majority of it, quite a few layered tracks. I like the first solo/middle-eight bit best. The drums took a while to jig about a bit to get a better sound, and probably a bit too loud in some parts. There are a lot of little mistakes all over the place, but neatly hidden! As I mentioned I couldn't get that solo right, that swift descending bit is very unique to Jonnys style I guess. Got to know when to stop though, got a new one to do!
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

One word.

Awesome.

Talk about making your GPG debut in style! That was wicked. It's so good, it makes me want to totally re-do my version.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Very nice indeed Penfold :) What equipment were you using? Your recording has really nice clarity to it. Your tone was also really really close for the jazz lead tone. Pretty damn impressive for your first post to the GPG, (glad you weren't around to hear mine :D).
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

I've just remembered. I've probably got a Guitar Techniques CD with a abcking track for this on. It was in the magazige a few years ago, but it thew it (and about 50 others) out. I kept all the CD's though.

I think i'm going to re-do this. With the new backing. It should only take a couple of hours, now i know all the parts by heart.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

BRILLIANT

Really really impreesive m8....The quality is brilliant.I think the drums sound very good m8 ...I,m trying to figure out at the mo..how to change the drum sounds ...but WOLF>MIDI>PC =Hassle :P

I,m really pleased we,ve got all these new faces as it makes it more fun ..seeing what others do :)

Wolf;)[/b]
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

Fandabimango :D
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Much appreciated people, thanks. The guitar parts were recorded using a POD 2 into the trusty SBLive Platinum. Overdrive and clean guitars using the two Dumble custom amps. The clean harmonies etc were using the Fender Twin amp.
The sort of acoustic-sounding part was my electric mic'ed up as I don't possess an acoustic. All shoved into and roughly mixed in Cubase. The drum parts came from a MIDI with the sounds substituted for real samples in Fruityloops, and any additional bits I created there too. I had two drum recordings, one quiet with hihats and one loud with the cymbals and edited accordingly in Cubase. The bass sound was I think one of the bassy organ sounds. That's pretty much it. A bit of compression and reverb applied sparingly.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Nice one Penfold :) You'll have to teach me how to turn midi drums into real samples with Fruity Loops :D
RaiLord
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by RaiLord »

Can I enter my mp3? :)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Yeah go ahead mate :)
DaSuperFly
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by DaSuperFly »

Hi, i'm new here and i'm a bassist.
I was wondering if i could join in on your guitar challenges?
I can already play Just if that helps :D
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Yeah sure :) Go for it :D The more the merrier!
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

We just need a drummer and we could do away with MIDI backing tracks completely now ;)
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I must say I was thinking something similar. We've amassed a virtual orchestra :)
DaSuperFly
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by DaSuperFly »

I was just wondering if there are any other bassists who are doing the challenges and how long this one will be up for as i've got exams for the next week or so which means i have no time to record :-?
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Generally the GPG works on a track for two weeks, but I think we all like hearing versions regardless of the time it takes to record it, so I wouldn't worry too much about having to get it in on time - all it means is that most of the group will be focussing on the next track...
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

I try if I have time to play my Own Bass lines.....I havnt really had my Bass long and dont really practise it much ..but enjoy adding lines if they are not too complicated.I originally decided to buy a Bass so I could get back in a band ....as at 31 not many ppl would want me as a guitarist :(....but the one band I went along to was a total joke.....they were all about 20 and said the usual crap .( Gigs waiting ..experienced muscians only etc etc.....they couldnt even play one song ...I turned up ..with a borrowed Bass amp and hung around for about 30 mins .The lead player :oops: knew one scale (I think) and the rythmn player could churn out about 3 chords....I just couldnt bring myself to play Bass for them ..even though I miss playing live....So have decided that eventually I might come across someone who,ll let me play Rythmn guitar :D

Christ that was long :)

Generally GPG is a week to get something down..but you can post whenever your finished.....it tends to be a week otherwise it tends to drag a bit ....I really look forward to it each week to see what is gonna be next.

Nice to have so many new ppl :D

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Kajun wrote:Generally the GPG works on a track for two weeks, but I think we all like hearing versions regardless of the time it takes to record it, so I wouldn't worry too much about having to get it in on time - all it means is that most of the group will be focussing on the next track...
Well... it's supposed to be a week but usually it's more like ten days before the new choice is up :)