[MLG] punky's pick 01-01-03 Happy New McYear

Moderator: Thought Police

punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

[MLG] punky's pick 01-01-03 Happy New McYear

Post by punky_munky »

I've been a bit of a lamer when it comes to MLG and GPG but I'll try harder in the future. :wink:

These are my choices

Manu Chao - Bongo Bong
Ben Kweller - Little Pink Stars
At The Drive In - Catacombs
Mr Scruff - Ug
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Nice choices mate :) Just a wee note, if anyone can't find "Little Pink Stars" try searching for it with Radish as the group. I can't believe Ben was 15 when he wrote that album...
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

IceBus wrote:Nice choices mate :) Just a wee note, if anyone can't find "Little Pink Stars" try searching for it with Radish as the group. I can't believe Ben was 15 when he wrote that album...
:o

Oh god! I knew I should know that name! That was an awful song!
hanohtep is saying is that the material world doesn't work that way
"Goat Boy is here to please you..."
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

:o

Ben Kweller is a god!
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Well "Little Pink Stars" was an awful, awful, awful song!

I should know, I owned the single at one point. Couldn't even sell the damn thing - had to give it away to a friend.
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

Are you sure you're thinking of the right song Hano? Little Pink Stars may not be your cup of tea but its miles from being awful. Do you like Weezer or Pavement?
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

I do like Weezer, and I've only heard some Pavement stuff. I know that it is the Ben Kweller song that you're thinking of. I had the single, and I'm sure one of the b-sides was called "Aunt Attica" or something like that.

Maybe it isn't actually a bad song I'll 'acquire' it again for MLG but I just took an instant dislike to it when I had the single.

You're right I suppose, it was miles from being awful in the bigger picture of today's pop music world.

I'll get it again soon and give you my opinion four years on (at least I think it was about four years ago it was out).
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I really like it and "Aunt Arctica"... But hey, I'm ecclectic :D
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Manu Chao - Bongo Bong

:lol: I downloaded a couple of versions of this - the original (at least, I think it is), which is fairly sane, slow, and could easily be the soundtrack to a fruity drinks advert. ;) But is excellent and great fun - cool voice, daft lyrics, and a wicked backing track. Only criticism is that it lasts too long without doing much. On the other side, the live version lasts for 1 minute 4 seconds, is radically different but retains the same feel with more energy, and is a good partner. Then there is finally the drum 'n' bass version, which is the original, sped-up slightly, but with some banging beats over the top of it and some crazy interludes.

All are good - ideally I'd merge the original (sped up slightly) with the drum 'n' bass version half way through (slowed down slightly) and you've got a great 5 minutes. :)

Mmm. I'll keep trying it, but it seems a) too happy for me, and b) too happy.

This reminds me very much of combination of both Helmet and My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult's tracks from The Crow. Mixed with a little bit of basic Halo-ness at the beginning ;) But anyway, I like it, I look for more. It's got a good mix of messiness and sharpness.

Mr Scruff - Ug

Hmm. Interesting, but suffers from the opposite that I find when I write music - whereas I pack too much in and confuse melodies that should be in separate pieces, this just drags on a little too much with no fresh delights. What's there is credible, but as an interlude or soundbite.
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Kajun - try "Failing and Leaving" by BK or "Simple Sincerity"
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Just acquiring the tracks as we speak. Post tonight.
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Bongo Bong Manu Chao

:|

Strange! There's absolutely nothing wrong with the track. It's actually kind of catchy but I think it'll take a few listens to really form an opinion of it. I'll look into the other versions that Kajun mentioned too.

Little Pink Stars Ben Kweller/Radish

Okay, it's not quite as bad as I remember it. Musically it's nothing more than standard rock - nothing special. The first verse isn't bad, then the bridge comes in...<shudder>...then the chorus...the chorus is awful and after that it can never go back - you can't listen to the second verse without cringing at knowing what's still to come. I think that's why I loathed it so much before.

Catacombs At The Drive In

I remember the very first time I ever heard At the Drive In. They were playing live on Later With Jools Holland and I absolutely loathed them. I thought they were awful. The second time I heard them was on a CD I got free with Kerrang! - the track Cosmonaut and I loved it. Then I got Incetardis and Pattern Against User on other CDs too and loved them. I've never heard a whole album and until today I'd never heard any other tracks. I like all I've heard now and that includes Catacombs. A great track.

Ug Mr Scruff

8)

I like! It's simple and it's kind of crazy. Definitely think I need to check out some more Mr Scruff. :)
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

/me pokes those who haven't posted yet with a pointy stick!
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

Manu Chao - Bongo Bong

Once upon a time in a computing lesson we had either the choice of Slayer or a mystery CD. Manu Chao was the mystery CD that we chose. I really like the beat of this song and the seemingly random theme.

I like this song because it is nice and happy, something you don't often get outside of rock music. To be honest I'm not really one for listening to lyrics so I havent got a clue what it's about, I just like the good feeling this song gives me.

This song bares no special meaning to me whatsoever, I just think the intro is ultra funky and it gets me dancing. :P

Mr Scruff - Ug

My love for Mr Scruff began some time ago when Weebl and Bob began. (if you haven't seen it, go to www.weebl.jolt.co.uk , it's that mmm pie thing everyones on about) Ug is the soundtrack for the first episode. I thought it was quite a cool little tune and then at Reading there was a random dude with hifi playing this and there were people dancing. LOVED IT. Yeah. I saw Mr Scruff at the Concorde2 in Brighton a couple of months ago, a 5 set which was a mix of his own material and remixes or other songs. Top stuff.
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

hah hah, I just heard the drum 'n' bass version of bongo bongo. it's very, uhm, amateur.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

(currently concocting my MLG, apologies for the delay)
Kajun is awaiting approval.
DaSuperFly
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by DaSuperFly »

Mr Scruff - Ug Fantastic track! It's got quite an odd bassline which just seems to be slightly out of time. I think i've got to tab this addictive tune... better check out the others