[GPG] Wolfies choice.ATWA by System of a down

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Wolf, post a soundfile of it distorting and I'll pronounce a diagnosis :)
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

IceBus wrote:Drop D and Drop C will work exactly the same, just C will sound lower as everything is a tone lower :)
Yeah, I'm aware of that :), I was more concerned about the lower tension in the strings amounting to fret buzz, tuning problems and the like.
On trying it out, it was fine so I stuck with it. I enjoyed doing the heavy part, used the Mesa Boogie Rectifier amp on the Pod. The clean part was using the Fender Twin amp, and the chorus effect was added in Cubase.
Be careful with your speakers at the loud part, if you've got the bass up high there may be a small chance rectal prolapse could ensue :o. I forgot to add the tinkle things at the start... never mind. I did find the MIDI I had was really bizzare timing-wise, didn't seem right playing along to it, or adding a click-track to the intro. The actual song seems to have tempo changes though.

Here you go: Penfold - ATWA

Bigpops that sounds great, love the heavy sound!
Sorry to hear about your s/card DGV. Sound like you might have blown the amps on the input as they're only designed for line level. That would mean a new card... :cry:
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Lo and behold! It's working again! I don't know about recording but at least it's playing music again! I will probably turn the volume knobs back a wee bit before I go recording again. :D

I made good use of my newly found soundcard and downloaded your productions before recording... just in case.

Bigpops: Obviously this wasn't a challenge for your playing. No problems there. Sounds nice, thick and heavy. That's about it. Good work.

Penfold: Same as above, basically. :D No problems whatsoever on the playing side. Sounds good. Doesn't sound as deep as Bigpops's, if that makes any sense. Good work!
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

IceBus wrote:Very nice indeed Darren :D You got a meatier disto than SOAD :)
That'll be thanks to a combination of my PRS; it's awesome bridge pickup, and my Metallica patch on the GT6. The Metallica patch was created for my Strat. So needless to say, the PRS packs more of a 'punch', than a Strat, and certainly more than a basswood bodied Ibanez Iceman.

@Penfold.

Another good effort. I reckon you did a much better version of the "solo" than i did. You obviously listened to the original more carefully than the one time i heard it :P
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

IceBus wrote:Wolf, post a soundfile of it distorting and I'll pronounce a diagnosis :)
Here it IS

This is not really the final version..it is just so you recording Gurus can tell me why on the heavy parts it sounds like the drums guitar and bass are going through a flanger :D....ps Ignore my dreadfull singing I was just playing :P (although I,m trying to improve-but didnt shout too much as it might annoy the neighbours )

Wolf;)
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Penfold- Nice effort again m8....I really liked your snare sound...The whole track sounded like a band playing it ...sorta live sounding :D

Wolf;)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

The 'flange' effect, sounds like what happens, when i play my midi track (eg Drums) , and the same time as the (Drums converted to) audio track. Sometimes i forget to mute the midi track, and it sounds like that.

If that makes any sense?
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Wolf, an excellent version... that's a fat distortion sound there! 8) Don't knock your voice, you sing really well!
Regarding the dirstortion/flanging effect. Do you mix the MIDI tracks down to a mono wavefile? Sounds like phase distortion, like when you mix two equal sound files at the same level they'll cancel each other out. Trying to think why this would happen... how do you mix it down? With the 'what-u-hear' setting?
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

The way I did this one was as follows.

I put the midi backing into Cubasis ....then played along recoreding the guitar part.I then played it back with N-track recording it...after wiping out all the midi sounds other than drums in Cubabsis.

I then recorded Bass Guitar and vocals on seperate tracks in Ntrack...then played the whole thing recording it with "what you hear " creative recorder :)

What I cant wrk out though is all these programmes seem to record the other parts on each layer ..or seem to mute them so you cant play along :?: ..there must be a way of doing it. I hope.

Thanks for your comments on my singing....I hate my own voice....but keep wrking on the principle If I keep singing it might smooth out :)
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Very nice Penfold :D Smooth as butter and indistinguishable from the original :)

How do you exchange midi drums for drum samples in Fruityloops?

Wolfy, I couldn't have diagnosed that on my own so I'm inclined to agree with the others...
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

IceBus wrote:Very nice Penfold :D Smooth as butter and indistinguishable from the original :)

How do you exchange midi drums for drum samples in Fruityloops?

Wolfy, I couldn't have diagnosed that on my own so I'm inclined to agree with the others...
Thanks. :) The heavy guitar tracks are all double-tracked and panned left-right so you might want to try that out.
I was going to describe the Fruityloops process here, but it's quite a long-winded thing! So instead I've written up a guide with screengrabs and examples here.
I've written it as a basic users guide, so it should hopefully be easy to follow. Hope it helps.

/edit - This was written using Fruityloops v3.5+. You can alternatively run it as a VSTi in Cubase instead of exporting to a wave file. Then you can edit the playing as you go along.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Afraid my Fruityloops is only version 3... Which means I can't import midi :( Thanks very much for writing the guide though Penfold, I've saved it so I can use it if I manage to get my hands on a more recent version of Fruityloops, so it hasn't gone to waste :bg:

Here's my version with cacky midi drums using Bigpops improved soundfont.

SOAD ala Icebus

Let me know what you think :D
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

I haven't had a chance to hear your version yet Icebus, have to head out now. But if you want the Fruityloops file for the ATWA drums then it is here.
I think it should work.
It will tell you that it cannot find the drum sounds, but they should still be named in a way that means you can replace them if you wish.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Penfold, do you just use Fruity for backing tracks or have you got any creations made on it?
Kajun is awaiting approval.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

So far I am still unable to record. Ho hum. Looking on the bright side I can still playback which is much considering the mess this has turned into. It seems my guarantee might not extend to this sort of damage on the soundcard which is seemingly self-inflicted (whoop de doo) so I'm in quite a predicament here. Anyway, on the bright side, I managed to get a job today so it probably won't be long till I buy a new soundcard. I could get a cheap one immediately, but I've my heart set on getting something that's really good for recording. So I'll have to dish out a bit more. The positive thing is that I might also soon afford a new amp. If nothing workd out before the next pick I'll just post what I had, which is just the clean parts with a backing track. I know it's pretty lame compared to what all you guys have up, but that's all I can manage. Bugger. Naw, really, I'm just making excuses because the one fingered powerchords are too tough for me. :bg:

Nice effort on your part also, Icebus. No problems whatsoever. Did you downtune all the way to C or was this played in D? That aside, good work!
nine-bar
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by nine-bar »

Well, i have managed to get myself an adaptor to let me plug my guitar in to my line in on my soundcard, the problem is that i cant seem to get n-track to record it? I can hear it through my pc's speakers but im flumoxed when it comes to why it wont record :evil: Having the flu doesnt help , but ive managed to learn this and im just looking for a solution to this problem, really bugging me at the mo. Any help appreciated peeps :D
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Icebus- On the whole not bad at all m8 :) .how do you add soundfonts ..I downloaded the one Bigpops said ..but dont know what to do with it ?

DGV- :( It goes from bad to worse m8....I feel for you...hope you get it sorted m8...Congrats on getting the job :D ....dont feel rushed m8....finish it when you get your pc back up....I enjoyed playing these 1 finger power chords :bg:

Nine Bar- if you press CTRL +F4 or CTRL + F3 in N-track it brings up your soundcard thingies....make sure on the record side LINE IN is enabled....it might just be muted ??

PS thx for the help on the MIDI thingy....I have tried (Once I spent ages wrking it out ) and I think you werer right about one cancelling the other out cos it,s a lot clearer....I will Probably do it again as I enjoy playing this one...it,s actually a song I can remember all the way through...(if only all songs were like this :D )

Wolf;)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Icebus. Very good. You're really getting the hang of it now, and it's starting to show.

Wolf. Load up the soundfont program from Audio HQ. Select the 'Configure bank' tab, and select a bank. Try to stay away from the ones used by bank 0, but it's not essential, as your "factoy fitted" default soundfont will always be used when you select an empty bank (if you do put it on bank 0, then it will become the default soundfont, and used automatically).

Then, just click the 'Load' button, and point it to your SF2 file.
nine-bar
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by nine-bar »

Just had a quick look at this and cheers , i will have a bash at recording this tomorrow as im off work ill :( Still, plenty of time for me to sort out recording this and getting it up on my webspace. As a matter of Interest what programs are you using FTP wise? I have not really dabbled in it so thats another thing ill have to crack :D
So hopefully in the next couple of days i will hve a version up for you lot to listen to, just got to get my head round a few things and im sorted.
Going to try and use fruity loops etc for the drumloops, and there is a little part of my own i want to dub in :D
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Kajun wrote:Penfold, do you just use Fruity for backing tracks or have you got any creations made on it?
This is the first time I've used Fruityloops for the sole purpose of making backing drum tracks like this. It's actually the first time in almost 6 months I've got back into the program, have been distracted by other things. Used to use it quite a lot, and I'm currently looking for all my old samples and files after I did a reinstall. When it comes to creations in Fruityloops... well it's always been a case that impatience has prevailed. I've never really finished anything (then again, nothing's ever finished really!) and those that were going somewhere haven't yet got there. That's why I hadn't used it in a while. I've still got a few of those as wave files though.

Icebus - Good work, sounds great. :) I like the subtle delay on the clean guitar, a nice touch.

nine-bar - For FTP I use one called 'WS-FTP (LE)' because it's free and what I've always used. But there may be better ones around.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

DGV wrote: Nice effort on your part also, Icebus. No problems whatsoever. Did you downtune all the way to C or was this played in D? That aside, good work!
I'm afraid I wimped out and just tuned to drop-D :)

Wolf, you need to go to Creative Audio HQ, then Soundfonts.

Ninebar, I use Bulletproof FTP - which works nicely for all I need :D

Bigpops and Penfold, thanks for the kind comments... I feel I'm getting to the point of being able to play things a bit more comfortably so I have more time to work on getting my tone and the emotes correct. Also, I thought my delay was going to waste so I experimented a bit to flesh out the lead part. I'm trying to get into the mechanics of good tone, trying chorus, verb and delay ;)
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

( FTP: I use Smart FTP )
Kajun is awaiting approval.
nine-bar
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by nine-bar »

Thanks for the FTP advice, im currently having a ball trying to access my personal webspace with Blueyonder, it wont let me log in for some unknown reason. I think i will have to contact them regarding this, doh :-?
I have learnt this just got to get it down, feel free to carry on to the next choice as i am still trying to get to grips with home recording as well, I will post this one as soon as i have all my little problems ironed out, and do a version of Icebus's Just, hell i release a compliation lol.
I browse the music forums at OCUK Icebus and noticed that your looking for some songs to cover with your mates, ill have a look at some of the stuff the band im in at the moment wants to cover, as i think they where not to tricky and great fun to play :D
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

TBH I just dunno whether others will want to change from foing the Hives... :( and there's no rush on a new post yet... we've got till Friday :) A lot of us just wanted to get it out of the way rather than be late <me lol>
nine-bar
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by nine-bar »

What me and my band mates are thinking of doing is choosing a song each and covering it, then everyone has a choice and you get to play a variety of styles.
Ive managed to log in to my ftp now, so i just got to get ym head around a few things and hopefully i should have something up for you all.