(GPG) Nine Bars Choice, Fear Factory, Invisible Wounds

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

I'm sorry to hear you guys are having a hard time oding this currently. But I believe it only takes the right song to find that motivation again.

Wolf, you made me think now. I might just do that - go for something to plug straight into my computer. Thing is, I odn't know the first thing about effects and such, never having owned one. I've been looking over several different things over the Net, like the VAmp2, Boss GT6, Line6 PODs and such. There's just considerable differences in the prices. Also, I'm not exactly in a position where I can try all of these out, since local dealers only seem to have certain brands, and I'd really have to go a long way to try some of them out. So I've got to do some thinking about this still, which is why I'd like some help here... :bg: What will work for me?
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

I'll do my best to compare them for you... V-amp 2, bottom of the price rung and very well featured for it, lots of effects and amp simulators - doesn't quite match the POD for sound quality but for the price it's still brilliant. Comes with bag and footwitch .

POD 2 - Next up on the price range and quality rung is the POD. Similarly featured to the V-amp2 but with a slight hike in quality. More geared towards amp simulation than effects. Footswitchs can be nearly as expensive as a second hand unit...

Finally we have the kings - the GT6 and the POD XT. The GT6 has been out for about 1-2yrs now and it's much respected (mainly due to the amount of pimping Marc Seal has given it... :)). It has effects, amp simulators and a built in expression pedal. It also has about 3-4 user settable patches, which makes it more of a live solution than the POD and V-amp which can be a bit harder to work into a live rig (The GT6 can be plugged straight into a PA or into the effects loop of an amp). At £350 it ain't cheap though...Then finally we have the newest and probably best sounding offering - the POD XT. Latest incarnation of the POD, it features sound patches from the Line6 Vetta model amps/heads (i.e. better voicing and higher quality), it's got an LCD (not LED) readout and you can edit just about everything in the way an amp sounds (different cab, head, mic placement...) and it truly is one of the most versatile gadgits to come out in a while... If money was no object and I wanted a pure amp simulator, without worrying about effects or live usage - I'd go POD XT. At £325 it just shades it over the GT6 for me.

In short, it depends what you want it for. Bigpops has a GT6 and I think a few people over at Regent have V-amps and PODS...
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

DGV m8 all my GPG stuff has been recorded with my Vamp 2 .(although dont that let cloud your judgment lol :P )

I only use the factory presets ..but ppl that programme there own can get some really nice sounds ..I,ve had a bit of a play in the past and it doesw make a difference to the range of tones available.

I only got it cos it was cheap and as I only wanted it for bedroom use it was fine...although I know a few ppl who use them Live :)

If you do get one you,ll want to get a couple of Midi leads then you can programme it from your pc...which makes it easier to configure.:)

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Thanks for the info IceBus. I can tell already that choosing will take a while. Thing is, I think the one of these that I've heard most is the GT6, and, again, with all the good things I hear people say about it I might just have a look. But I doubt I'll be getting it unless I get some sort of sponsorship/subsidiary worked out with the parents... (augh) So far I'm guessing I'll end up with the VAmp, which I'll definately check out. Can't say anything negative about what Wolf's done with it, after all.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Here,s my attempt on this ...I sat down and thought I,d really better do something lol :)

so here it is :oops:

My guitar wouldnt hold the dropped D tuning very well as I only changed my strings yesterday (annual change :P ) ..so it,s a bit out of tune :)

DGV- If I had the choice I,d probably go for the POD XT although the Harmonizer on the GT6 looks cool....but considering the VAMP2 is 3 times cheaper it does have a lot going for it :) ..as I said m8 I havnt really tried to make it sound good,my only critism is it,s a bit noisy (so you have to play about with the noise gate ) .

Untill I start earning anyhting though It will see me through :D

Wolf;)
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Here,s my attempt on this ...I sat down and thought I,d really better do something lol :)

so here it is :oops:

My guitar wouldnt hold the dropped D tuning very well as I only changed my strings yesterday (annual change :P ) ..so it,s a bit out of tune :)

DGV- If I had the choice I,d probably go for the POD XT although the Harmonizer on the GT6 looks cool....but considering the VAMP2 is 3 times cheaper it does have a lot going for it :) ..as I said m8 I havnt really tried to make it sound good,my only critism is it,s a bit noisy (so you have to play about with the noise gate ) .

Untill I start earning anyhting though It will see me through :D

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

I'm sort of waiting for Bigpops to shed some light on the GT6. *wink wink* I don't really even know why it appeals to me, but it does. Might be the Marc Seal effect working on me. Or could just be because I like what I've heard some people do with it. Of course, the price tag is far from appealing. It costs more than everything I've put into the whole guitar business, I believe.

Damn it Wolf, you've really taken up the singing. Good for you! Makes me want to too. Well sung, too! Also, well played. I'm listening to this pretty clinically, to evaluate what you get out of the V-Amp. BTW, I think I'll do some fairly thorough research this week as to how the prices are over here. There may be pretty considerable deviations from the UK level, I think.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Well now, it seems the GT6 is cheaper here than the PODxt. The GT6 is about 350£ and the POD goes for around 360£. But I'm also hearing good things about the Zoom 606 and 707 units. Anybody hear about these? IceBus? :bg: They would seem to be in the price range of the V-Amp2, so can the Zoom compete?

In case you didn't notice, I now officially have the fever. :bg:
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

No chance of importing? People over at Regent seem to like the Zooms... Haven't played with one myself though...
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

DGV-thanks for your kind comments I,m trying to sing a lot at the mo as I had forgotten how difficult it is to sing without the vocals being there :)..like if your just singing along to a record :D

DGV wrote:
In case you didn't notice, I now officially have the fever. :bg:

Yeah I try and keep myself in quarantine,as having no money doesnt help lol :D

At least through GPG you get to hear the Vamp,GT6 and POD :)

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

I really don't know about the importing. What I do know is that there might be some weird tax or toll for importing such stuff. It's weird to see all the stuff that they tax here, even against EU regulations. Anyway, I most probably won't go for one of the 'Kings' but something cheaper. Will have to see though. The V-Amp is around 120 quid here whereas the Zooms are just a bit over that. So that doesn't sound too bad. Anyway, I'm guessing the price difference in these would probably be rather negligible, so the benefits of importing might be slim.

One thing I was wondering was second-hand ones. Are these units prone to breaking? A lot of the ads and auctions that I've looked into list a whole load of malfunctions they've managed to acquire relatively quickly.

BTW, I'm guessing Regent is like your version of Guitar Center or something? I was a bit :?: right there.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Regent is a guitarshop m8 www.regentguitars.co.uk

We talk about it as we chat on there forum m8..thats how I originally found out about GPG from Peter :D

The only prob i,ve had (and it,s common) is the battery that stores the setting on my Vamp is knackered ,so I need to replace it .

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I thought the POD was relatively bullet proof tbh... I dunno about the latest incarnations. Most Pods I've seen on Ebay are in good condition. I got my Line 6 DL4 from ebay, and it's built like a tank. I also got it for about £60 off RRP in brand new cond.

Wolf - only got a chance to hear your version now, very good - singing as well :bg: I need to get this done in the next two days... It's pretty poor me being the last to submit on this....
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Well I went out of my way to check out this new guitar shop in town, but turns out they specialize in the expensive stuff. So when I asked about the V-Amp2 or something in that price range they gave me some weird looks and said they don't have it in stock but could order. Anyway, I ended up trying the GT6 and POD XT. Now I at least know what I could with a load of dough. I tried going to another shop but it went and closed on me rihgt before I got there so no luck there either. But I guess I'll be cruising around the shops here for this week.
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Nice work DGV and Wolf. Good stuff. :)

Regarding the POD, well it's impeccable as far as a recording tool. The MIDI functionality helps a lot, meaning you can sequence in changes in any of the parameters with songs etc, save patches, download new ones etc. However I have found that after time the MIDI control is very unstable with cheap MIDI leads and slight changes happen at random. I've got the 4-way footswitch and, well the build quality is excellent, yet for a £70 footswitch I would have expected them to use better switch contacts. The third channel has taken a bit too much of a battering and is a bit stubborn when switching over. The standard RJ45 network cable it connects and powered with is really convenient to replace. Used live, through an amp and DI'd into the PA, it works very well for providing amp sounds; it can sound a little too scooped sometimes. As a personal preference I wouldn't use it for the effects, I don't think they quite cut it compared to individual stomp-boxes. That's where the GT6 shines in the fact it's an all-on-solution for that.
The POD XT, now that looks tasty! Shame there's not, as far as I can see, a chip upgrade like the POD I to POD II.