[GPG] Where is my mind (Pixies)

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
DingleBerry
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

[GPG] Where is my mind (Pixies)

Post by DingleBerry »

it is true i have been very lazy and have neglected my guitar group playing...im bad and must be punnished...i am however back and ready to play some music....badly :D YAY!!!

im only a couple of days late :oops:

uh yeah i thought it might be nice to learn some pixies...and after much deliberation decided on "where is my mind". its a nice simple one
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Hehehehe I'd thought about choosing a Pixies song next time... :)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Have to admit, once again, that I've never heard this. Have yet to download it, but will do just that tonight. Recording this depends a whole lot on the progress of my "acquisition program". :)
DingleBerry
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by DingleBerry »

the guitar pro files are a pretty good likeness if you want something faster...its nto hard to play...
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Got this nailed, will try to get a recording up in the next day or so... Same for Fear factory...
DingleBerry
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by DingleBerry »

IceBus wrote:Got this nailed, will try to get a recording up in the next day or so... Same for Fear factory...
told you it was easy...once i get the drums midi to behave itself ill record it aslwell...shouldnt take too long iwouldnt think...i can play all the parts ithink...just a case of remembering the order :wink:
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Great choice Dingleberry. :)
Already at work on it. I'm doing it using the MIDI track from here. It's quite a good version. I haven't used guitar pro before but I'll have to try it out sometime, looks good.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Never heard any Pixies :d..so downloading now...as usual GPG is openeing my ears to other stuff :)

Wolf;)
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Well, I've had a free day today, so I got engrossed in Cubase for a few hours:

Click for 2.2Mb of audio stimulation

I really like this song, but my version is a bit inaccurate... partly down to the MIDI which actually wasn't quite right, and my bad editing. :D I didn't have any particular problems on the playing side, I got the basic idea of the solo and just improvised around it. A little pitch-shifted guitar for the bass.

I had already spent an age chopping up the audio drum track when I realised the tempo was a bit on the slow side. So I had to give it a little extra 10% time stretch before finishing it; so there are a few odd artefacts left over in the final track.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Good work! Very nicely played.

And, for those caught up in my gear drama :bg: , I went to try the V-Amp2 today. I'm pretty convinced by it, too. I played around with the dials quite some time, and found a whole load of sweet tones. Then, of course, it's cheap. But what I like most about it is the versatility, there's literally a bunch of things that can be done with it. I know it's no GT6 or POD XT, but taking into account the price, what I'm gonna use it for, and me as a player, I think it's more than adequate for me. So, I think I'll be getting it (the store that sells them with the best price is open at weird hours, so I'll have to see when I go around - it's 20€ cheaper than the next place, so...) unless my last guitar shop visit tomorrow convinces me otherwise.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Penfold- Very nice m8 .Really great clear recording and very well executed playing :D...sounds nicer than the original imo :)

Your midi link didnt appear to wrk as I go to that page click on it but it,s dead ..some of the others wrk :)

DGV- Glad you liked the Vamp2 m8..for the money I think it,s great...One day I,ll have to force myself to sit there and play about with it :D

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Pretty good Penfold :D As you said the only thing which didn't sound like the album was the solo ;) I'll get motoring on this tomorrow...
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Thanks all :)
Wolf11 wrote:Your midi link didnt appear to wrk as I go to that page click on it but it,s dead ..some of the others wrk :)
The link is wrong on the page, a "/" is where a "." should be. The direct link is...

http://www.angelfire.com/wv/hearandnow/ ... mymind.mid
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Thanks penfold m8 :)

Weird this song..I sat down today and had a very quick go as I had a spare half hour or so ..and at first found the rythmn quite difficult as I dont think I was really hearing it..all of a sudden it fell into place and on the whole just repeats itself,but there was a point when I did think I wouldnt be able to play it lol :oops: ..but I partly think that was down to the GP file being preset at warp speed lol :)

Wolf;)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Good work again Penfold.

I really like the hook in this song, and i hope to get it done soon.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Here's my effort

Where is My Mind? - Icebus

Let me know what you think...
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Here,s my Ikkle effort .

I cocked up the change bit....I just couldnt seem to get it right :evil: lol.

Also I had a better version but Ntrack hung..so this was the best I had down :)

Here it is Pixie

I,ll start d/l yours now Peter :D

Wolf;)
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Icebus-Very nice m8 :)...really clear guitar sound .

My only critism would be that on strummy stuff try to loosen your right hand a bit so it sounds more flowing (not that I can talk lol )..On the whole very good though.

Keep it up m8 .

Must admit I like this song-dont like the way it,s sung/or singers voice (not that I can talk :oops: )..but Really catchy litlle tune :)

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I know, the acoustic part is a bit ropey not matter how many warms up I did, I couldn't get it to sound as nice as I had it in practise last night...

I like your version Wolf, very true to the original except where you mentioned :)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

IceBus: Nice one on all accounts. The acoustic riff was good except for the very ending of the riff, like the latter half of the last bar, which was somehow not fluid, throughout the song. No problems whatsoever in the lead/dist. guit whatever you want to call it. But on all accounts well played indeed.

Wolf: Well, no problems in the playing. Very fluent from beginning to end, nice and effortless. As for the singing, well, I feel you've done better. :bg: Maybe not exactly in your range? Some of the notes sounded like you weren't quite comfortable with them. I'm somewhat splitting hairs here, since it was perfectly decent, but like I said, you did do better on some of the previous songs imho.

Oh, I have this learned, but I am waiting to get the vamp2 before I record it. I might just have time to go get it tomorrow, but it might be next week. SOrry for falling behind. :|
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Thanks Icebus & DGV-......

Yeah the singing was my first attempt ...but when my PC locked up I lost my backing other than this first version ..so thats what you got :P ...my main problem is that the original was quite difficult to remember the vocal line ...I actualy like singing high but was trying to rember how it went ....the version I lost was better..you never know I might do it again....I enjoy singing now :) (good or bad lol)
..upon listening back I,l put this down in the bad category :bg:

Wolf;)
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Nice versions Icebus and Wolf. :) No problems for either you there.

Wolf, did you double track the distorted bit or is that an octave effect? It's a great sound.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

I used a small amount of chorus and delay Penfold....I think it,s just where it blends with the midi bass ..I think !! :bg:

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

How's everyone going with this? It's a week today.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

I'm going to record this tonight, assuming my PC will let me.