[GPG] No Doubt - Hella Good

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

[GPG] No Doubt - Hella Good

Post by Penfold »

I've been playing with Guitar Pro this week and surprised at the diversity of tracks that have been transcribed, it's a great program! I chopped and changed my choice, but decided on something hopefully a bit different. I was originally looking for their track 'New' but no luck. The gp3 file you're after is 'No Doubt - Hella Good (2)' and it's done very well. The other one is something else, even though it's good whatever it is. :D

Alternatively the exported MIDI is Here

Somewhere between rocksteady and new-wave, Hella Good's got that great chorus riff. Reminds me of Jamiroquais Deeper Underground bassline. I know there's quite a lot of synth work and the guitarwork is not very obvious... so here's a live version from last years Glastonbury to help you along: Here (2.92Mb)

There's only three different guitar parts to learn so I shouldn't think it'll be too much of a challenge! Thus giving some extra creative scope for creating the synth sounds and the recording process if you feel like it.
Good Luck :wink:
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Just listened to it ,as I,ve never heard it before :) ...I quite like it..the main riff reminds me of INXS lol :D

A little bit repetitive , but pretty catchy. ..I like the bass line :D

Wolf;)
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Wolf11 wrote:Just listened to it ,as I,ve never heard it before :) ...I quite like it..the main riff reminds me of INXS lol :D

A little bit repetitive , but pretty catchy. ..I like the bass line :D

Wolf;)
True, it seems like they came up with the bassline, thought it was good, but then couldn't really think of anything else for the track. :D

Before the 'Rocksteady' album was was released all the tracks were released on all the p2ps as 30s sections of the song choruses and looped to fill out 4 minutes. I thought that was such a simple, yet ingenious idea. Though the band deny any knowledge of it. :-?
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Well, I've never particularly liked No Doubt, so having a bit of spare time tonight I decided to do this one. Not too challenging with only two riffs and a bit of something resembling a solo, which I did manage to mess up somehow (making it sound completely weird and fairly off :roll: ) but was too lazy to do again.

www.angel.34sp.com/~GPG/hellagood.mp3

Not much of a contribution, I'm sorry, but I wasn't really able to get inspired playing this song.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

DGV-Pretty good effort m8.

Your Guitar definatley sounds better,nice to see your getting to grips with the V-amp..it certainly makes the whole thing sound more polished.On the whole I think you got the riffs pretty good..I even thought your little solo was good as it,s hardly very memorable on the original :D

Wolf;)
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

DGV - Nice effort there, all the parts sound right. I liked the different guitar effects in it.

Apologies that it's not the most inspiring track, certainly from a guitar viewpoint. I was drawn to it by the synthesizer parts so I guess it's probably a bit of self-indulgence :oops: ; I've spent more time on them than getting the guitar tracks down. :D
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Penfold wrote: Apologies that it's not the most inspiring track, certainly from a guitar viewpoint. I was drawn to it by the synthesizer parts so I guess it's probably a bit of self-indulgence :oops: ; I've spent more time on them than getting the guitar tracks down. :D
Good work there DGV :)

Penfold, this is supposed to be fun for everybody including the person picking - the whole point of picking is to do a track you love, people have hated some of my choices (Weezer) but I've still loved doing them. In other words some weeks everyones happy, others everyone isn't - it's about broadening your horizons :D
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Cheers for the comments.

Wolf: it really couldn't be easier to use, but I have to admit that I've really played with just a few of the presets there are. There's an awful lot of them, really.

Penfold: I didn't mean to sound so harsh. I really have something of an aversion against No Doubt, that's all. Also, the song is indeed pretty simple, but that doesn't really mean anything. Simplicity doesn't make it bad. And, no matter what I or anyone else says about the choices (though I must admit, people are awfully polite here - there's really no bashing other people's choices or preferences) you make, the idea is pretty much that you choose what you want, which brings a lot of colour to the whole GPG, just like IceBus said. I may not like this particular song, for example, but I'm still glad I learned it, as it's part of the fun and besides, everything you learn/play/record improves you. So we'll have none of that * :oops: * over here, right? :D
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

My version of this is finished. And my PC is finally sorted after another re-install.

I'll upload it as soon as in re-install my FTP program.
nine-bar
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by nine-bar »

Grrrrr, i have only had my V amp 2 for 2 months and already the input jack is having problems, no input signal what so ever :( Its going back this week to be replaced, so until that returns i have no decent method of recording =(
Cant believe it im really peeved at the minute, i was supposed to be recording some stuff for the band im in as well, so im not having a good week at the mo :(
Oh well, in a couple of weeks all should be ok, i hope, going to dig out my old Kord Multi FX and have a fiddle see what i can come up with, fingers crossed i can get something down but at the moment im in a bad mood!
I hear the V-amp 2 also has some issues with the power connector as well, its a shame really, i got some nice tones out of it, but it wont stand up to carrying it to practices etc it seems.
Oh well, looks like im going to have to invest in some good old sturdy stompboxes once again!
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

And this not a week after I bought my Vamp... :( I'm guessing I'll be alright, though, since I will hardly be moving it.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

I think the Vamp power prob is that the battery sometimes looses your own presets ...Mine does it occasioanlly so I have to reset it .I keep meaning to open it up and take the battery out and replace it ..I think it,s really to do with the fact there is no on and off switch.

Dont worry DGV I dont think you need to worry yet :)

I havnt had a chance to learn this fully yet but will get something up over the weekend :D

Wolf;)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Here's mine: Hellagoood

After hearing DGV's version i thought i'd stick some wah on the funkeh part. So, one went the touch wah.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Always glad to be a source of inspiration, mate. :bg: Quite frankly, I didn't listen to the original before recording so I actually have no idea was the wah there, but it seemed to fit.

Impeccably played. Glad to see you've got everything up and running again.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Very good as usual Darren, a real return to your usual impeccable form. Should be able to get this done tomorrow afternoon - just got to learn the solo bit.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Bigpops-Nicely played m8 ..the Wah sounds really nice ...brings out the guitar line and makes it sound more intersting.

Glad your back up and recording to your usual standard m8 :D

Wolf;)
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

DGV wrote:Penfold: I didn't mean to sound so harsh.</snip>
You didn't, don't worry I wasn't offended or anything. Making my first GPG choice just unnerved me a little! :D

Bigpops- Great version. I agree the wah is a nice touch and the solo sounds great.

I've now done as much as I want to do with this now, otherwise I would be spending an age trying to make all the sounds. Every time I listened back to it a new one popped up somewhere in the mix. Though I'm pleased with how it came out, the most complex I've got with a GPG choice yet. I beefed up the chorus guitar parts to give it a bit of variation using glisses and some random harmonics/muting. My only gripe is I would have like to have played the clean bits a bit... well cleaner.

Penfold - Hella Good (4.44Mb)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Really nice Penfold, you got the rhythm of the clean part perfectly and the drums and bass sounded great - was that using soundfonts or Fruityloops?
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Here,s my version

here

I had a spare hour or two this afternoon so thought I,d give it a bash :)

Wolf;)

D/l yours now Penfold :D
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Nicely done, by the both of you. Some nice liberties taken by both also e.g. on the solo. I must particularly commend Penfold on the backing track. Veeryy nice.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

I also reckon that Penfold's backing deserves a gold star. Very nice.

Wolf, Penfold, i love the light funky sound. I was going to do some more funky mutes and stuff like wolf did. Kinda makes me wish i had.

Good work chaps.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Penfold- realy nice m8..nicely played :) As Darren says a Gold Star for the backing track...I really love how you take a midi track and make it sound so much more proffesional ... :bg: BTW what sort of guitar do you play ?

Thanks for your kind comments :)..I really enjoyed having a go at the funky strumming stuff ..not really ever tried before..It made this tune far more enjoyable to do than I first thought .(I blame Marc Seal for doing it ! )

Wolf;)
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Thanks for your comments all. :) I enjoyed creating the backing for this, the original was mixed by one of my favourite engineers, 'Spike' Stent; I was privileged to have been in his mix suite a few years back. 8)
I sampled the drumkit from the original recording as the intro luckily features them alone. Fruityloops to fit it together. I'm slowly building up a nice library of drumkit samples from such songs. All the extra sounds were a few different VSTis, bar the bass which is one of the smaller bass soundfonts from www.hammersound.net.
I had to redo quite a bit of the MIDI to make it sound right as the note lengths weren't quite right, that was the most tiresome part of it!

Wolf- Great sounding. I thought your palm muting in the chorus sections in particular were spot on.
My guitar's a trusty Epiphone Les Paul with SD pickups.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

I thought it might be a Les Paul or variant..really sounds chunky especially clean :)

Must admit I would quite like a les Paul..always fancied one of the Fernades ones with a floyd they did about 15 years ago :)

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

So, what's the situation? I must confess my fingers are itching to get a new GPG recording underway. :)