[GPG] Bigpops' choice - 'In my darkest hour' - Megadeth.

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Amazing work Wolfy mate... :D Darren as always sheerly breathtaking, I wish I could even come close to your lead skills - that is wailing :bg:. I'm gonna have a hard time coming close to any of you this time :|
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Well, Bigpops, that's pretty much what I was striving for and fell short of. :bg: Excellent.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Thanks guys.

I really suprised myself that i was able to get so close to the second solo.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Bigpops...I really liked your version....so crisp and technical as always ....I thought your second solo was bloody amazing m8..a little bit lost in the mix ..but then it is on the original..but It sounded very good considering you didnt sit there and learn it note 4 note.

I must learn how to punch in /out so I can just record bits ....Never really seem to have the time to master any of this software :( ...cos I basically always record like I was live lol.....Silly as it may seem I brought a picture up on my screen of Megadeth on stage and pretended I was there playing :oops: ..but by doing it this method I definatley loose recording clarity as yours always sounds so proffesional ;)

Wish my lead playing was up to your standard ...spent too many years wanking about on the fretboard without really getting a good technique..although I,m really trying to nail fairly baisc excersizes with a metronome..but when I try and record it ends up sloppy :(

Icebus- Dont worry about your take on this ...You,ve posted some bloody good stuff recently ..No one can get them all perfect (except :roll: Darren maybe ) :bg:

I must admit It,s not one of my favorite Megadeth songs..prefer the Friedman era but ..I really enjoyed this one as I spend too much time practising lead and not enough on rythmn :D

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

I'm gonna record this tomorrow, sorry not to have got it done today but I was at a gig last night and slept until 2pm today :) Roll on Megadeth Wednesday :D
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

You know, you have all the time in the world with this one. It's not like we are gonna start learning a new one, with you next on the rota. :bg:

On a more serious note, it's exam time again Friday and I'm afraid I'll hardly be touching the guitar until then. So I for one am definately in no rush to get to the next one. After that though, I'm oficially dedicating myself to playing for a whole week. Seeing how my next exam (last one this semester) is in late May, there's no rush there.

Re: recording - I've also noticed that I'm getting more comfortable with recording. It used to be all trembling hands and poor performance every time I hit the record button. And it definately is a great advantage to be able to record in smaller parts. On this one I actually had fairly long takes, since I'm also trying to work on my finger endurance. The intro was a separate thing altogether, as were all the little licks and arpeggios in there, but other than that I did the entire song in 2 sections (I'm pretty sure it was two, it is possible that it was three, though). I could play all the riffs cleanly individually, but playing them all together is much more prone to mistakes. So I know I could have done a better job with a lot more takes and clipping the song up into shorter sections, but I wanted to do it this way.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Recording with this is really damn hard lol, wish I'd started sooner on it :p I'm up to bar 57 of the GP3 tab and I'll basically just nibble at it over the next 24hrs till it's done... <sigh> :D
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Hi all. Haven't had a chance to get into this properly yet, got a never-ending workload on at the moment... too tired to do anything other than eat and sleep when I get back here! Definitely want to get at least some of it done; should be able to do this weekend hopefully. Aiming at the first two minutes at the mo, although I love the little riff before the tempo change (3:30).
Will download and listen to the posted tracks as soon as I can. :)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Well, after days three days of recording, I have something I'm pretty proud of. The solos are a bit of a joke, as I basically just played as fast as I can, trying to hit notes in key, then throwing in a few artsy bends here and there and starting and finishing on the (sort of) correct note.

Anyway, let me know what you think :) In My Darkest Hour - IceBus
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Icebus- Very good effort indeed m8 :D

Took me ages to d/l it though :P 8.5 meg lol ...57 mins to be exact lol..god I envy you Broadband/cable peeps .

My main critism (which you pointed out) is the lack of palm muting ..it,s something I,ve been consciously wrking on ..I,ve listens to Bigpops recording (and forgetting quality) decided it was one area he has really nailed where as I,m sloppy.I never really thought about it much ..but have noticed that my playing has improved a lot by practising it. I think it would have improved your recording no end m8 (but I,m being picky lol)

I thought your Improvised solo was pretty good m8..fairly nice bends (a bit of my just play it style must be rubbing off :P )

The nice thing is that I really think all of us are improving ....something which makes this whole idea worth while....Just wish I could solo well lol...but I know that my playing is more confident and you guys Peter & DGV have come on leaps & bounds from your fledgling efforts :bg:

Hope exam went well today DGV m8 :)

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Sorry about the huge filesize mate, I couldn't bear to encode it at 96kbps :) I think I'm definately getting better at switching between rhythm and lead, and I'm also getting to the point of being able to choose whether to downpick or alternate to get closest timing wise. I knew I wouldn't have a chance at learning the solo properly so like you say, I thought what the hell and just let my fingers flap about lol. This is the first hard song I've actually enjoyed playing... especially that fast rhythm section as the tempo ups to 200bpm. I'm still going to be playing this in years to come I think, and hopefully eventually with the real solos :p :)

Expect something to do with lightning riding and blackness tomorrow ;)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Well, after a full 88 seconds of downloading :bg: , i got it. And very good it is too.

I was very imperssed with how much of it you managed to do. The intro was spot-on (including the harmony that i missed), and the main riff was good, even though it lacked the palm muting.
The riff in between the solo's sound almost like Nirvana. Very frantic, and entertaining.

This is without doubt your best effort yet, and there's been some major improvement in your playing.

Sorry i wasn't on MSN earlier, but i was busy in the kitchen with my glue gun and soldering iron.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Heheheh thanks a lot mate :) What were you doing with a glue gun and a soldering iron? (other than possibly setting fire to something :D)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Exam went ok, thankyee very much. So well in fact, that after getting out of the exam yesterday at about 2 p.m I only got home about an hour ago...

Very good work Peter. Intro was nice as Bigpops stated. Main part sounds good, with same comments regarding the palm muting that has been mentioned. Special props for the solo. You inspired me to try harder to getting something down on the solo front, which I haven't really been doing. If I can't nail it properly I'll try the Wolf approach next time. Also, really energetic playing near the end. All in all, good work, good work indeed IceBus. :)
nine-bar
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by nine-bar »

Some excellent versions of a quality song there all of you, im impressed.
Im going to have to go awol from the gpg as i have not actually got the time at the minute to actually get anything down. The band i joined in November last year is proving to be a huge timesink, nearly all my free time is spent on practices and writing songs with each other. Its fun non the less =)
So keep it up and ill surprise you all sometime with a rendition of something you have chosen, im still going to lurk and listen to you all =)
Si
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Bigpops wrote:Well, after a full 88 seconds of downloading :bg: , i got it.

:evil: hummph..not fair .....It would be nice to have a ping under 250-300 as well at CS :( .....maybe one day our exchange will get upgraded .

Nine -Bar....I,m glad the band is going great..I do remember (just) how much time it takes up.Good luck with it and dont forget us in here .

Wolf;)
nine-bar
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by nine-bar »

No chance i will forgoet you all =) I enjoy listening to your reditions of songs too much =)
Yup the band is going great atm, thanks for the support, im good friends with a couple of them and just getting to know the others, but we all are on the same level it seems =)
Not to mention the excessive consumption of alchohol hehhe =)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Sounds like a really cool situation nine-bar and I wish you all the best with it :D Only wish I'd had similar success with my first effort band-wise lol.

Your place in the GPG is always safe ;)
nine-bar
Epsilon-Minus
Epsilon-Minus

Post by nine-bar »

Cheers =) Keep looking for like minded peeps Icebus, its taken me a fair while to find people im relaxed around, we are thinking of recording one of our tracks soonish, so ill put it up as an MP3 for you all to listen when its done.
Im still going to be around =) And i must say Icebus your playing is improving nicely as Bigpops pointed out, keep it up mate =)
Right, must dash i have GAS to contend with again, oh well cant help it =)
Should have a nice Ibanez before summer i hope, you still getting yours Ice?