[GPG] Icebus' choice - "Fade to Black" by Metallic

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Sorry to hear about getting Fired Peter :(..hope everything works out for you :)

Dont worry about posting yours m8....Your better off getting it to your liking rather than feeling pressured ....I,m quite happy to wait :)

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

So, how's everybody? Are we going to move on or...?
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Sorry delays again... I'm gonna get this uploaded wherever it is by tonight.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Well, I said I'd upload what I've got, and it's less impressive than I'd like. There's a whole 2 bars (that's right ladies and gentlemen, TWO WHOLE BARS) of solo, which is a bit of a shame as the reason I chose this was to learn a whole Metallica song and solo...

Anyway, here it is as is, I know it's not great:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.blai ... oblack.mp3 Scroll down for the proper version with drums

Let me know what you think.
Last edited by Ice on Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Good to see you got it done. First off, I liked the variety of tones you used in this, from the intro, the solos, the acoustic riff etc. it seems you worked on getting the sound as close as possible to the original. The riffs you did good work on, but on my second listen I noticed they were sounding somehow bare. Only then I noticed you didn't have drums (nor bass, I believe) which made it stand out from the other versions posted here somewhat. Of course it brings your playing out all the better but it's just something that struck me as surprising as the midi tracks have been fairly widespread. (This isn't criticizing you in any way, of course, I'm just pointing out what I notice as I listen to it again and again) The intro solo sounded fine, I did notice that the same bit (16th notes, a little sweeping part) that was giving me trouble wasn't as fluid as the rest in yours. The harmony / interlude sounded nice. I was particularly happy with your work on the bridge, which sounded very good, especially the part where the other guitar comes along. The solo was going good for as long as you kept it up. Seems you left off at the exact same place where I disregarded the tab and started going creative (i.e. the place where it gets real tricky :bg: ) All in all, a good job.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Ah, the lack of backing track is because I forgot to add it lol... I'll repost it avec backing track ;)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peter.blai ... cdrums.mp3

I was trying to get my tone as close to the original as I could, and got some nice chorus/delay tones for the acoustic parts that I was quite pleased with. The 16th note sweeping part is a bit of a chagrin to me now, as I can play it fine time and time again at about 5bpm slower, I just can't nail it first go every time at the right tempo and that means recording it is impossible - I spent about half an hour yesterday trying to re-record it to no avail, so it's annoying posting a shoddy version when I know I can do it better. The solo I hadn't even had time to look at until yesterday, and after trying it for ages, I realised it'd be impossible to play at all well without some element of muscle memory, so I decided to leave it and try and work on it in my own time and get it playable.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

I'll dl this version tomorrow and see what the backing does for the whole. :D I know exactly what you mean about the little sweeping part, as I had the exact same problem. It was killing me. I was thinking of manouvering my way around it but I found no graceful way to do so, so I ended up trying to record it again and again. I spent an hour tryin the intro solo, got frustrated, took a 15 min break, and recorded what I posted on my first take after the break. What kills me is that during the one hour session I nailed it one time perfectly, then got all excited and sort of froze, butchering the rest of the intro so badly I couldn't use it. Just one time... I have been working on that particular part afterwards as I recognize it as something I need work on - a lot.

I do believe it would be a good time to move onwards, since I think just about everybody has contributed. I believe Wolf is next, no?
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Yup, wolf it is :) I'll drop him a PM.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Haven't had a problem like this before, but I'm somehow unable to play it. :?:
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Icebus -Very good on the whole m8.

Loved the Guitar sound on the intro very faithfull to the original .The intro solo was good other than the aforementioned bit ...great wrk.

On the whole the main riffs were fine.One thing I,ve noticed I suppose with both you and slightly DGV is I think your spending all your time practising lead (as if it,s the be all & end all) and not really practising rythmn.I was lucky I suppose that I cut my teeth on AC/DC covers and didnt spend much time on soloing..but recently I realised my rythmn playing is also weak.

It,s only odd areas ....but it,s getting more difficult to be critical as you improve m8 ..there is less and less to say which is great.

The end solo and rytmn parts were played very well.

Overall though a very well played efort m8 :bg:

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Cool thanks mate :) I've been spending a fair bit of time on getting rhythm tight to the beat, inspired mainly by the challenge that was Megadeth :D The nice thing is, I've really noticed my speed increasing since trying some PG so as long as I can remember a solo, only the most challenging speed stuff poses a problem (challenging in my sense of the word, not Darren :bg:). But yeah, I'm starting to see a bit of an improvement overall, and it's good :)

DGV, NTHell was being a bit of a bitch yesterday, I just DLed it ok, so maybe try now?
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Good stuff Icebus. :) I've only listened to the non-drums version at the mo, and I really liked the sound of it. You've got some really great guitar tones going on there - sounds very open and clear. The first and second solo sounded as per the original, I think maybe a thicker tone may have made them sound a bit more fluid and flowing.
No problems with the acoustic parts, and I thought the outro was great too. Good attempt at the begginings of the end solo, would be nice to hear some more as it was going well!

I know what you mean about the re-recording thing. When I was doing the end solo I did many takes, each time getting a different section right; but never as a whole. Just decided to do a final take and accept it as it came out.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Yes, the backing did improve the whole. I don't know what the problem was, since I was able to dl the file, but unable to play it. Weird. Worked fine today.