Rule change

Community, Identity, Stability.
Rules & announcements concerning ixyl.co.uk and the forums.

Moderator: Thought Police

elbows
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by elbows »

Actually Im mad today because my boss said he was quite looking forward to the war. Unfortunately he is one who believes Blair has sacrificed himself for the good of the nation in that Saddam must have something nasty, as opposed to sacrificing himself because America threatened something nasty which is the version of events I tend to believe.

Looking forward to war, possibly because it will make the TV more interesting, waaaa it doesnt do my faith in humanity any good.

Thats it, forget these locked threads, give me something positive about humanity before I am forced to do the chicken dance whilst listening to Plastic People by Frank Zappa!
Zathras
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Zathras »

I see you're fighting an almost one-man battle at unmentionable place. Don't let it get you down too much. Let us hone your 1337 j3di debating 5ki115 on ixyl and give you far more ammo to take em down.
DaBeeeenster
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DaBeeeenster »

Plastic People by Frank Zappa is something positive about humanity.

I think the problem is that the ixyl forums would dearly like to walk it like they talk it and allow total freedom of speech, but that is simply not in line with current British publication laws.

That may well be wrong, and I dont want to speak for Kajun or Hano, but that seems to be the case. It is a shame, but it's also the law :roll:
"All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so. They're stupid." - Bill Hicks
My Travels Blog
Blam
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by Blam »

Legallity on this one seems to be unclear though, i could call Jalapeno a Nazi fuck head! now apart from the fact that he never checks the boards as regularly as he once did, he would not take offece at this anyway and there would be not legal action even thought of, although if i were to call someone else, what was it J said, a Brown Shirt, then there would be all hell breaking loose cos a certain person thinks taht they are better than everyone else and that they should all agree with his small minded thoughts! :x dont get me wound up ffs, i need to go to sleep!
elbows
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by elbows »

Dont worry I understand the implications of that stuff, which is why I say its understandable but unfortunate they had to be locked. My only real gripe was the chronic lack of communication in this case.

Ya ya Plastic People is good, its the chicken dance thats the killer part of the equation :p

Time for me to go read some more "Mass Psychology Of Fascism" by Wilhelm Reich. Highly recommended, goes far beyond what the title suggests. Listen Little Man by same author also looks classy, check out the amazon look inside(lots of pages of goodness, cuts through the crap pretty quickly and nice cartoons too lol)...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

These books have nothing to do with this thread in any way, they are just what Im reading at the moment and oh wow its good stuff indeedy and is the positive beacon in my mind that currently prevents that deadly chicken zappa combo!
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Finally, we get some discussion in Resolutions/Restructuring :bg: :lol:

First up, let me copy in the temporary amendment to the rules:
Temporary amendment to forum rules

Discussion of activity on other forums is best suited to those forums. Discussion of this forum is best suited to this forum. Mentioning/pimping of other relevant forums is perfectly acceptable and in many cases is something we aspire to - we don't want to lock ourselves away. But further, opinionated conversation about threads/members of other forums is a step too far, for now. This is not intended as a stifling of freedoms of speech but rather a proactive intent to prevent feelings that forum members are being discussed behind their back.
Secondly, I shall attempt to expand my reasoning. The internet is a vast place, and since the advent of easily installable forums/blogs, good discussion is becoming found in thinner and thinner quantities. It is difficult to maintain balance and appeal across the broad spectrum, particularly with so much choice of websites for users to browse. I say this as much for other website owners as I do for myself (there are several fledgling philosophy forums which have wonderful members and content but still struggle to hit 'critical mass').

The time and energy expended on these sites/communities should not go to waste. We, or other sites, should not poach users from one forum to another. It'd be great if all users were able/happy to post on 17 forums simulateneously, but the fact is that most people prefer to have one or two 'homes' where they reside almost permenantly. Therefore we must accept that it's up to the user to decide where they want to be.

It has always been a desire of mine for ixyl to allow promotion of websites and forums; that is part of our freedom of speech and of our desire to learn and share more. Many times in the past I've pimped some philosophy/political forums and I would hope that continues. But I mention them not to incite discussion or 'reviews' of what they have/lack compared to this community, I mention them so that the end user can go over there, take a peek, and sign up and discuss those forums and ideas there.

We know that OcUK and ixyl have not had a perfect relationship in the past. There has been antagonism from all corners and the confrontation has not been healthy. Whether this merits that particular forum as being a special case, I'm not sure, but it must be accepted that there is a degree of trepidation felt by the moderators of ixyl whenever the subject comes up.

The threads in question were valid and informative. They were a report on an interesting development on another forum and an update for those who were already aware of its presence. elbows had every right, and we are grateful for, his posting of said info. Acting pre-emptively is probably not something we should be doing, but as mentioned, this sometimes feels like a 'special case'. I will say that the agents/peacekeepers I've spoken to all agree that at that time and place (given the lack of agents/peacekeepers around on a Sunday), locking the thread was a sensible thing to do - and we do concede that a) informing the community of the reasons behind it, and b) reconsidering the decision to lock the thread should have followed.

We will attempt to do this in future. The constitution and manifesto will hopefully take care of confusion arising from this. For now, the temporary amendment stands in place as a summary of this thread and the issues raised, and of a firm and lasting belief that ixyl should not become a bitching ground, nor should it become isolated and prohibitive. Let's get back to the ball game. :)
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Nat
Alpha (Conditioned)
Alpha (Conditioned)
Location: Half way down a midge infested moor, Unscotlandland

Post by Nat »

Plastic People by Frank Zappa is something positive about humanity.
"Wanna buy some mandies, Bob?" :P
"Sometimes democracy must be bathed in blood" - Augusto Pinochet