[GPG] DGV's choice: Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Most excellent Bigpops. Really well played and spot on with tone. No, I didn't notice the extra chord stabs; sounded just right.

I've uploaded the backing track here as I've got the spare space. Hope that helps.

I haven't got started recording yet, but planning on getting it done this weekend.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Thanks for the comments, and uploading the backing Penfold.

You've been a big help.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Thanks Penfold ..I,ve finished D/l it and I,ve even saved it to disc incase my pc plays up again :)

Wolf;)
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Righto I recorded this this afternoon :)

Thought I,d do it on my acoustic ..although bends are pretty dificult....everything was fine till the end solo ..I just couldnt get the notes to ring out but as I like doing it in one take I just carried on

anyhow here it is sultans

I really enjoyed playing this one..didnt at first till I got it down a bit better ..going to try and work on it as a sort of weekly tune :D

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Well, I can only imagine what it would've sounded like on your electric. Especially the end solo was a bit lost on the acoustic. It's clear to see that you got it all down nicely, but it is very tricky on the acoustic. I should know, I've tried it. Nice work, but it could've sounded better on the electric. Thumbs up nonetheless, and special props for taking the hard way and coming out intact.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

I really hate to say this but I really don't think I'm gonna be able to get this recorded :(. I've been a bit snowed under with work and I just can't get the time to learn any of it properly.

Feel free to pick the next choice and I'll try and pick it up if at all possible.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Tut tut Icebus.

I sentence thee to watch 3 episodes of "The Ultimate Guitar Show" (yeah, right!) in succession to make up.

Just kidding, i wouldn't wish that on anyone!
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

You've finally given up on Marc too then? :(
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Sorry to hear that Peter ..it is a quiete a difficult song to learn took me ages to remember bits and I still needed tab sheets pinned to the wall to help me on the solos lol...how you lot remember it all is beyond me ..I reckon it might be slightly to do with what ppl do for a living as in my Job I just dont have to think :( so I think my brain has gone lol:D

I,d love to say next choice something by Michaeal Angelo been listening alot to him recently ....god I,d love to be able to play like him lol

If you get a chance listen to a song called X2 again I keep listening to it ..I,m sure it,s not his best work but it,s really inspired me to practise (although sadly it probably wont make a lot of odds) but I,ve sort of got the bit between my teeth as I,m not getting any younger and want to get as good as I can for personal satisfaction .....I,ll probably be an OAP shredder :lol:

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

The only thing I've heard Michael Angelo play is the infamous "Speed Kills" clip that's circulated all over Kazaa and the net. That's one slow set of hands he has...
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

A nice slant on the tune with acoustic, sounds great Wolf. Really well played, a challenge on electric already, and acoustic must have stepped it up a notch.

Didn't get started on it last weekend, and won't have the time to get into it until this coming weekend. I'm intent on doing it though as I've learnt the basics bits, just trying to remember where it all goes together.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

DGV wrote:The only thing I've heard Michael Angelo play is the infamous "Speed Kills" clip that's circulated all over Kazaa and the net. That's one slow set of hands he has...
I have the speed kills video, and the tune is calles 'No Boundaries". It was on the CD of the second guitar magazine i ever bought.

That intro is probably his worst playing on the entire video, as it's the only time he makes any mistakes.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

IceBus wrote:You've finally given up on Marc too then? :(
There seems to be very little tuition on his shows of late. He even dug up an old video of him playing live, and tried to pass it off as 'inspiration' :roll:

How i long for the good old days.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I stopped watching when he decided 40 mins of him playing was tuition as well... He's lost the plot since he spawned a young 'un.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

I'd like to see the day when I could call that sort of stuff bad playing by my standards. :)

And I'm sorry to hear about Marc Seal, he was great before his shows started costing money (which is, btw when I stopped watching). Seems all good things must come to an end.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Interesting thing happened to me yesterday, and I thought I'd let you guys know. We were at a friend's house last night. So I'm in my friend's room and notice that in his closet he has an old acoustic (he doesn't play). So I take it out, try to tune it by ear (I'm no good at that) and start fiddling about with it, when a friend's friend who I hadn't met before notices me playing. We end up talking quite a bit, seems he's in dire need of a rythm guitar player. :D He actually has a band that has some good contacts and has done some gigs. I'm not sure if I'll make it to the band, since I don't consider myself good enough, but at least I've found a group I can jam with for this summer at the very least. He was immensely better than me. But I think I can manage well enough if it's just for rhythm, I actually think he was impressed by some fingerpicking I did. 8) . I'm real excited about this, since I very seldom get these kind of opportunities. :D
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Nice one.

I hope it helps you with your playing, and, more importantly, you enjoy it.

Everytime i go anywhere theres a guitar, my mate picks it up and starts playing and singing Beatles songs.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

:D Nice one DGV m8 .

You are certainlky good enough to be in a band .....I was in a band within 6 months of playing ish and learnt to play guitar pretty much as we gigged.....I think the main thing playing with a band does is gives you a better sense of timing .

Hope it goes well ..I must admit I,m quite jelous as would quite like to get in a band again ....At the end of the day m8 ..just be yourself ...I got in a few bands through being a good guy rather than being a great player as most bands ultimatley do it for a laugh :) And the fact you can jam with them is great anyhow as you can slide your way in steathely if need be :lol:

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Since it seems that nothing new is happening in this thread, I wouldn't mind seeing a new choice emerging any time now. Of course, if someone's still working on this one, we can wait till everyone's ready. Otherwise I'd suggest that Penfold get on with the next choice. :D
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Seconded.
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Righty-ho, well I've finished this one. I found it quite challenging which was good. Not used to fingerpicking, so my right-hand fingers are a bit sore now.
Everything but the two solos were fingers, couldn't pick those without a plectrum- so just held it in my teeth until needed. Tough to remember too, eventually just decided to read the tab on the fly with this one.
It's not perfect, plenty of mistakes and bits not played in the right place I think - but I'm pleased enough with it.

:arrow: Six and one half Mb

Does that mean I'm up next to choose? I hadn't realised it was so soon. I'll give it some thought.
edit - not to spoil the surprise, but is anyone completely averse to some (later) Beatles... I have three possible tracks. I can't decide which at the moment.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Penfold ....I really love you stab at this ....really lovely tone very knopfler ish considering it wasnt a strat :) ...I,m well impressed with your right hand fingers(I didnt really use mine much)

The end solo was really well played as well ,you nailed the pull off bit really really well ..No matter how much I played it I couldnt get it right

I keep playing this tune ..didnt realise how much it I enjoyed it....The only other gpg tune I play on a regular basis is Burn ..love that as well :D

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Excellent work Penfold. Very, very nice tone, fits the song perfectly. It's very much done in the spirit of the original. And the playing's very smooth throughout. The end solo was especially good, you got a brightness and clarity into it that I was unable to achieve. Very nice.