[GPG] DGV's choice: Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

[GPG] DGV's choice: Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing

Post by DGV »

I decided to go for something different than what I've picked in the past. I'm thinking I'll play this one fingerstyle a la Mark Knopfler. I realise everybody hasn't done the previous one what with the site down and all that, but since it has been a month I think it's better to post a new choice. www.mysongbook.com has some good tabs of this one. Hope you enjoy this one.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

I told you guys he always picks good tunes.

Nice choice DGV.

Now i wish i hadn't thrown away the issue of 'Guitar Techniques' that had this in. I still have the backing track though if anyone wants it.

I'm just ripping it, and i'll upload it to my webspace when i clear some space.
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Ooo yes, this is a good track. I half-heartedly learnt the end solo and the main bits a while back.
Bigpops, do you know which GT issue it was?
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

It was in the December 1995 issue. Or so i says on the CD.

Here the link to the backing track: LINK It's about 6.5MB in size, and it 160Kbps 44.1KHz.

Wolf (or any other dial-up users), if you want a smaller version, let me know and i'd upload a 96kbps WMA version for ya.

When you've all got it, will you let me know? Then i can free up my websace for the final attempt.
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

No, I thought I might have it; did notice I had the backing track and tab for ATBL while looking through - never mind!
I've downloaded the backing track, thanks.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Nice choice DGV ...I was doodling over his last week ..but came up with my own melody ..so might struggle to play the original :) But will have a good go :D

I,m d/l backing now Darren ..only 37 mins to go so thats not too bad :) ..although I might play along to the guitar pro as I find it easier to sight read than play from memory ..wish I could work out how to sync backings...so I could play to the guitar pro backing then add say yours ??

Wolf;)
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Cheers Darren I,ve finished D/L it now :)

Wolf;)
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Great choice DGV, been wanting to learn this for a while. IIRC some of this was tabbed in a recent-ish issue of Guitarist so I'll have a look and get cracking mid-next-week as I'm a bit busy going to gigs these days ;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say I always pick good tunes, let's not forget the debacle that was Guns N Roses, after all. Hardly a fan favourite :) All the same, I'm glad you guys like this one. I suppose it's one of those songs you sort of have to learn at one stage or another.

Just finished downloading the backing track. Thanks Darren.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

I really thought I'd have no problems fingerpicking this, but the last solo was actually giving me a very hard time. I did manage a fair version of it, I think, eventually.

www.angel.34sp.com/~GPG/dani-sultans.mp3

I think all this time I've played with a pick has slowed my fingers down a bit. Or rather all this time without fingerpicking, if you will. I felt a bit awkward going fingerstyle. I'll have to try to keep both skills going.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Really really awesome DGV mate :D Absolutely top drawer playing (one of your best ever imo). You really got the emotes through nicely and your playing matched the feeling of the piece really well. Only criticisms there are to make are maybe a couple of bends (out of who knows how many) were slightly flat. Other than that, A* stuff :bg:
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Really excellent DGV m8 :)

Really loved the tonme you got which I,m sure is partly the use of fingers .

I think you really got this one down great ...and should rightly feel pleased with yourself ...wish I could play with fingers .

You realy have improved m8 over the past months and it,s great to hear...you,ve obviously been putting in a reasonable amount of practise and I think it,s starting to pay off .

I did record this but lost It when I decided to install XP ...but till I know Xp will keep working I dont want to start installing software...but will re record soon :D

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Thanks for the comments. I guess I'm re-enforcing the rule that the best performances are always on one's own choices.
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Great work DGV. Lovely fingerwork, sounds real close to Knopfler.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Thanks. That has to be one of the best things that has ever been said about my playing. :D
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Pretty good that DGV. I liked it alot.

Mine is ready, but i'm just listening to it over and over to see if it can be improved upon.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Here's mine:

Sultans of Swing ~6MB.

After recording it all, i seem to have put an extra chord stab in almost every repetition of the 'hook'. Now, would you have noticed if i hadn't said anything?

I'm pretty happy with it anyway. I never thought i'd be able to remember it all, but there you go.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Wow. Just wow. That was awesome Darren, very Knoppfler-esque tone in the fingers :) Sounded great. Expecially loved how smooth the solo was. :D
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Thanks mate.

It was moslty plectrum, with fingers when needed. The solos were both totally played with the pick.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Excellent work, beautifully played and lovely tone. Very good work.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Really really great Darren :)

Your phrasing was very good indeed you really captured all the little naunces in yours.I think the tone you got was excellent as well ..really sounded like Mr Knopfler doing his thing .:D

Could I be a pain in the ASs and ask you to upload the backing again (assuming you,ve got enough free space)....I thought I,d saved it when I reinstalled but obviuosly didnt :cry:

I,m nearly there on this although keep forgetting bits ..but I cant for the life of me play the end pull off bit ....cant pick back again quick enough can do the higher bit but not the bit around the 10th fret unless I use lots of fingers and pick it rather than hammer on (I think I play legato so much with distortion ..amazing how trying it clean is so much harder lol )...hopefully I,ll get a chance to record it this weekend ...

Wolf;)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

As soon a s Penfold's heard it, then i'll put the backing back up for you mate.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Bigpops wrote:As soon a s Penfold's heard it, then i'll put the backing back up for you mate.

Thanks m8 :D

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Btw, I've meant to ask somebody for some time already, what's legato? See, I've learned my music about half in English and half in Finnish so there's a whole bunch of terminology I'm not familiar in both languages. Legato's one of them. :?:
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Legato is playing a section without picking the string, and using hammer-ons/slides/pull-offs etc. to get notes to ring out :)

I'm the opposite of Wolf, I always pick nearly everything so playing a fast section which has legato takes ages to get down without trying to pick it all!