[GPG] Summer's over!

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

[GPG] Summer's over!

Post by Ice »

Is everyone ready to restart in some shape or form? I'll be recording in twenty minute bursts, and I guess Darren will be recording straight from the GT6...

Who wants to choose first then and do we need to change any rules (duration of selection mainly?)?

Good to have us back to the old ways once more!

Rock on \m/! :D
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

I'm ready to rock (or whatever the song requires).

My playing has certainly suffered (but not significantly) through the summer, and i'm raring to go.

I'd personally prefer a two week duration. That way i won't find myself rushing to finish the track, as it normally takes me three days to even look at the tab. :oops:
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

I was about to say the same thing as Bigpops. Two weeks sounds better. It's mostly because we've started to do the songs more completely. If the choice is a little more comoplicated or a little longer, it's hard to get everything down in just one week. Especially if there's something else to do that week. :D

I've also been sort of thinking about trying to change my own recordings somewhat. I was thinking that sometimes it might be fun to try to create something of a new, own interpretation, moreso than always trying to capture the original as accurately as possible, which is pretty much what I personally have been doing. I won't be doing this always, at least, but I might take some more artistic liberties, if you will, in some of the choices. That is, if the inspiration is there. It's just a little something I've been thinking about during the summer. Will have to see what comes out of this, though...

Also, I'll try to push myself to do some vocals as well, if I'm able to. And I'll definately try to work on my soloing, since it's something I'm severely lacking in.

And I've (still) yet to buy that darn electro-acoustic I've been thinking about. I don't know if I'll ever get around to it, but I'm really aching to get it. :roll:

Anyway, I'm certainly ready to go. Bring it on! :twisted:
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Cool guys, tbh I really agree on the two week duration as I've been playing some old GPG choices lately - specifically Ride The Lightning and Fade To Black. I know both songs inside out, when it comes to rhythm, but I never got around to learning the solos - I just don't think it's easy (unless you're Darren ;)) to get an entire song of Metallica complexity and difficulty down in a week. Also with new commitments (college mainly) I won't have as much time to play. Personal interpretation is fine man, totally, the whole idea is to have fun and grow as a player and everyone has things they want to work on themselves. I for one am going to spend a lot more time working on complex lead stuff and only devote a lot of time to rhythm if it's stuff I find a challenge and can't already do.

I agree about playing suffering over the summer as well, as both heat and lack of time led to me playing very infrequently with only maybe two to three new songs learned :|

Will we just start the rota from the beginning again? i.e. start with Darren?
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Hey all.
A two-week timescale sounds a good idea, I'm happy with that. It's still a good challenge without being too much of a mental and physical feat!
I'm a little busy with a few things until the end of next week, so I don't think I'll personally be able to get some proper playing/recording time before then. But by all means, if you decide to start straight away, go ahead and I'll see if I can get something done towards the end.

I have done a little bit of guitaring/recording while we've been on hiatus. Got a Jimmy Smith/James Taylor-esque jam with a friend from a few weekends ago that I need to get the mixing of finished at some point.

Starting from the rota beginning is good with me too.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Then it's sort of settled, right?

Make it a good one, Bigpops!
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Yeah go for it :D
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Okay, you asked for it :wink:

I really fancy learning 'Rainmaker' from the new Maiden Album (Easily their best album since 1988), but i think that the odds of finding a tab are pretty slim.

I'm in the mood for some 'Thin Lizzy', so i'll go and have a look for some, and it won't be 'The boys are back in town'. It will have harmony guitar goodness though.

PS, Anyone heard from Wolf?
punky_munky
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by punky_munky »

I might rejoin the madness although I don't know how spare time I'm gonna have... Perhaps I'll just attempt some abridged versions.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Cool Ben mate go for it :D

Darren, I PMed Wolfy but no response yet... might look for him on the Regents forum.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Ooh, good good. I've always loved Gary Moore's playing but I haven't really played many of his songs. Lizzy certainly has several great tunes. (What's wrong with Boys are back in town?! :lol: ) There are a couple of Lizzy songs I've been thinking of picking in my upcoming selections. So it's all good. :D
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Okay, new thread it is.

And it's one when Gary Moore was with them too.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Two weeks sounds good to me, I know I keep saying it, but I do hope to manage a submission in some shape or form. I got all geared up musically over the past few weeks to do a brief saxophone interlude @ my mum's wedding at Edinburgh Castle (sounds all posh, innit ;) ) and found myself wrapped up in the whole thing again, so I hope to be able to try some stuff out and get the machines working again. It'll be good to see/hear you all back in action.
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Cool mate I hope you manage to get involved ;)... Although at this point I may struggle to post anything other than my guitar straight into my PC :|
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

Hello again :)

Thanks for the PM Peter....everytime I,ve tried to log onto IXYL recently it,s been down for me :(

I havnt picked up my guitar much ...probably about an hour in the last 2 months...I,ve sort of lost motivation ...but Winter is far easy for playing ...also I,ve been really busy and by the time I get home ..my arms and hands /wrist etc ..ache as I do a very physical job somedays ..so I resat them as I dont want to get CTS or anything.

Wolf;)