[GPG] Bigpops' Choice - Thin Lizzy - Waiting for an alibi

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

[GPG] Bigpops' Choice - Thin Lizzy - Waiting for an alibi

Post by Bigpops »

Roll up, roll up! Get ya midi file from this page here, and the tab from www.mysongbook.com (Don't get the (2) version, it's useless).

I like this song. It's got a nice simple riff, fairly simple harmonies, and an easy to learn (notice how i didn't say play) solo. It's not that hard, but doing so many pull-offs requires practice.

I really wanted to do 'Black Rose', but a) it's a bit of an epic, b) I can't find a decent tab, and c) it's quite tricky.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Excellent! I'll work particularly hard to get the solo down (especially since it's 2 weeks now!) as I think I might be getting to a point in my playing where I might actually be able to pull it off, maybe even in just two weeks. It's a good thing that the rhythm isn't particularly difficult, since I can devote more time to the solo and other various licks.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Looking it over and starting to play it, I'm rather doubtful that I'll get the solo down. :? It looked a lot easier last night. Maybe cause I was so tired... Ah, well. I will try. :)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

You can do it.

Just learn the notes, and practice it for 10 minutes a day or something. After 10 days of that, you should be getting pretty close.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

This looks.... difficult :) I think this will be two weeks of hard graft... On a semi related note...

I've been trying to afford the required maintenance for my Marshall DSL401 (it keeps cutting out after a few minutes of play, then gradually returning to volume) but it's got me thinking that maybe it'll never be reliable... and wondering whether I could trade it in with some cash for a good head and reasonable cab.

The thing is, I've looked at the Marshall DSL range and neither head has the same channel options as my current DSL401 (mine has Clean/OD then a subdivision of OD1 and OD2 of the OD channel). If the heads have those and more that's great, but I'm worried I won't be able to coax the same sounds out of the DSL50 or 100 (I'm not sure which of those to go for either), as I love the tone of my DSL401 (if it's working)... Or whether I'd be better going up a step to the TSL range for even more tone options - but then I've heard they sound completely different to the DSL series - kind of less vintage Marshall.

How much cash do you think I'd get for trading in my DSL401?

Also I'm not sure what to do cab-wise as I'm not sure whether I could afford a Marshall 1960A... What cheaper alternatives would you guys recommend? A lot of bands I know use Laney cabs...

Someone has pointed out that the 401 uses EL84 tubes whereas the heads use EL34 so they're unlikely to sound the same... which concerns me :|
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

I can't really help with the amp i'm afraid. I've never had a Marshall (yet anyway).

As for the EL34s Vs EL84s, there will be a difference, but, as they're power stage valves, you're unlikely to notice it until you really crank it up.
I think EL84s (like in my Vox) can provide around 15w per pair (in push pull configuration), where as EL34s can provide 50w per pair.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

How does one play bar 69?

---9--------------9---------------
-----12p9----------12p9----------
------------11b-----------11b----
------------------------------------
-------------------------------------
-------------------------------------

That tab might even work or at least be understandable. I've tried playing it barring the ninth fret and it becomes a huge mess. Then I tried playing it without barring the ninth fret and it's mostly become a hugely slow mess. So I was wondering how you guys play this. Is there some trick or technique I'm not getting or should I persist with one of the ways I've tried until I get it?
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

This is how i play it. Lets just talk about the first part, as it's repeated.

My way:
I pick the first TWO notes, with ONE upstroke (like a mini sweep), and then pull-off, and pick the bend note with a downstroke. This is the only way i can get it upto speed.

The other way:
The other way to play is by starting with a downstroke, on the high 'E' string, followed by an upstroke on the 'B' string, and then pull-off, and pick the 'G' string with a downstroke. I can play it this way, but not as quickly.

Now, onto the fingering. Don't barre the 9th, it'll sound horrid. Fret the 9th fret in the high E, with your first finger. Then, as you fret (and pick) the 12th on the B string (with your 3rd or 4th finger), move your first finger onto the B string, ready for the pull-off. You should fret the note, a fraction of a second before you finish the pull-off. Once you get the timing right, it's a peice of cake.
Then just pick the 11th on the G, and bend a whole tone.

Simple no? I wish i could video it. It would make far more sense.
Last edited by Bigpops on Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

I'm struggling to get that up to speed as well... My first proper chance to sit down with it will come tomorrow so I'm hoping for a Eureka moment :D
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

I hope you get it.
Nothing beats nailing a section when you've been trying for ages.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

I also also play it with a mini-sweep type thing. But the fingering troubles me, for some reason I seem to be completely unable to get it to work. I don't know what the problem is, really. But at least I now know what fingering to work with.

Actually, I think I need to take that bit back to basics and start working on it real slow.

Update edit: I now understand the principle and can play it around 100-110 bpm. How the hell I'm going to get the remaining thirty or so bpm done in two weeks is beyond me. Anyway, I'm playing it starting with the 1st finger on the 9th fret on the e string, then do the pull of from the 3rd finger back to the first and bend the 11th fret with the second finger.

All of a sudden it's getting the full bend up to speed that gives me most problems.

If you're wondering why I'm so interested in the bpm's all of a sudden, I just realised there's a brilliant speed trainer in guitar pro which I've been using the last couple of days. :D
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Where for art the speed trainer?

I'm now without amp... I've bitten the bullet and put it in for repair, although I now have no idea when it'll be ready and won't find out until Thursday.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

F9 or on the sound menu in GP3/4.
Wolf11
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Wolf11 »

I,ll d/l the tab etc tommorow and have a look ..and see what I can do ....but I,m working most of the weekend (have to make hay while it shines etc :) )

Must admit I like Thin Lizzy ...always loved there use of Harmony ..but dont think I know this track .

Be nice to have something to leanr ...as I,ve lost all motivation to play lol....as I,ve spent months learning to sweep then when I found I could do it ..I didnt really have a goal :S

Wolf;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Great to have you back on board. Hope the GPG helps you find that lost playing motivation.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

I'm afraid I'm going to be somewhat late as I don't have a chance to record this atm. I'm pretty satisfied with where I am with this, but I won't be able to record until Saturday. So my version will be up then.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Tut tut tut DGV. We shall have to give you 40 lashes :P

To keep you inspired, i have finished my version. Here's the link:

LINK

The PRS is on the left, the Strat is on the right, and both use exactly the same setting on the GT6.

Enjoy it. I did!
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Nice work Bigpops man, you got the harmony parts dead in time and the solo sounded really good :D As yet I'm still without an amp and I'm doing my best to learn this acoustically... Solo wise acoustic isn't the easiest way to go though :|
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Oh man, that was great! Great playing, wonderful tone, and excellent quality in the recording. It's a very clean recording altogether, very professional sounding, if you will, with a good mix, too. And I very much like your touch, especially in the vibratos and bends. And the harmonies came off very smoothly and just sounded great. That was brilliant. And it sounds SO effortless. Beautiful.

On a different note, I'm still looking at electro-acoustics, and I need some help. I'm comparing as many different guitars as I can find to be sure to (eventually) pick a good one. Now, today I found a very, very nice sounding Ibanez. Easily the best sounding I've tried out, (and I have tried some pretty expensive ones) I don't remember the exact model but it was one of their top-end acoustics (or at least one it was among the most expensive Ibanez acoustics they had...) costing a bit under 600£. Now, they were selling it for about 250£ because it had been dented in shipping. It doesn't currently affect the sound, the sound is just beautiful, very, very, very nice, but I'm afraid it might deteriorate due to the damage it's sustained. The dent is in the back, in the lower part of the guitar, and it is rather severe. The wood is damaged in a strip of perhaps 20 cm x 2 cm, and it's not a surface scratch or anything, but it goes rather deep. You can't see through the scratch (i.e. it's not quite a hole), but the wood is rather severely dented. (Can't describe it better) Now, I'm pretty sure it will piss me off infinitely after a year or so of having basically bought a broken guitar if I get this one, but the tone is just so sweet and the price is rather good, so I can't discard the opportunity altogether. But will this affect playability in the long run? Is there a risk involved? The guy at the store naturally said it'll never affect the sound, but I'm rather sceptical. But it does sound incredible. So... Help? :)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

AFAIK It won't affect the sound unless it gets another knock and splits further. Loss of tone usually occurs if wood is lost altogether, or if the neck gets broken. I think if the damage is only to the rear of the guitar, there shouldn't be a problem, as I seem to remember being told the most important place for tone on a guitar is just behind the bridge and at the top of the neck.

I'm sure the others will be along to help too, but I think go for it probably, at that price it's a steal, and if it plays well now, any future problems should be solvable by a skilled luthier for a small fee.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

I'm having computer problems. I'm currently unable to play back any midis and even Guitar Pro isn't working, so I'm not sure what to do right now. I've been recording all day and now something's gone wrong. I will see what I can do.

Just thought I'd let you know. :?
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

This is a quality tune, I love the intro/outro parts. Sorry I won't be getting round to recording it but I'm concentrating on other things at the moment. Got it written down on the list of 'to learn'.

Bigpops> Superb, superb. Guitar parts we're spot on and lovely tones - interesting to hear the different ways the guitars react as you say it was the same patch. The harmony parts work great together and you've certainly got the solo nailed! Great quality too. Nice one.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Well... got my amp back from the shop today. Played on it for 30 minutes and it cut out again - so I rang those tossers and they said to bring it back in but their tech wouldn't be in until Tuesday. So I've wasted £20 and I'm no further on. I decided to open it up myself and take a look. Three seconds into opening it up it became apparent they hadn't been inside at all, all the screws were factory tight. Anyway, had a look for bad solder joints and couldn't see any. I was going to replace the bridge rectifier but Maplin didn't have any in stock, so that won't show up until Thursday. While I've got my amp in pieces, I'm going to order a Celestion Vintage 30 and a fresh set of valves... It does make recording a bit hard though...

On top of that, N-track has started crashing for no reason and the same with Guitar Pro 4... <sigh> :(
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Just taken the plunge and ordered:-

Your order has been received by Watford Valves, your order is
displayed below.
Product 1 : JJ-TESLA EL84 Quad Matched Type : Valve
Quantity : 4 Price : 7Product Total : 28.00
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Product 2 : JJ-TESLA ECC83 Type : Valve
Quantity : 3 Price : 8Product Total : 24.00
Product 3 : SOVTEK ECC83/12AX7EH Type : Valve
Quantity : 1 Price : 8Product Total : 8.00
Product 4 : Celestion Vintage 30 Type : Speaker
Quantity : 1 Price : 51Product Total : 51.00

And a £2 component from Maplins called a bridge rectifier. Thursday will be a day of soldering and praying. Wish me luck. It'll also ironically be my birthday lol :D
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

I have it done and recorded but really have no place to put it up any more. I'd forgotten about that. I need to get to University now, but I'll host it somewhere tonight.

The tune was very much fun playing. Also quite demanding. But fun.