[GPG] Icebus' choice - Muse - 'Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist'

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

[GPG] Icebus' choice - Muse - 'Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist'

Post by Ice »

To me, 'Absolution' is probably the best album of 2003, so it was a natural choice for me to pick something by one of my main guitar heroes.

Anyway, as some of you may not own the album here's a copy of the track. Muse - 'Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist'

So far I'm struggling to find a midi track at all for this so I'm going to attempt something with Fruity Loops (which I'm crap with) over the next few days. Tab can be found here:-

http://www.muse.mu/board/showthread.php ... eadid=6650
Solo: http://www.muse.mu/board/showthread.php ... eadid=9935

Hope this appeals to at least some people, as I've been wanting to learn it for a while. The main things to capture here are the emotive playing, bits of freestyle here and there and the tone :D

Pete
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Re: [GPG] Icebus' choice - Muse - 'Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist'

Post by Bigpops »

IceBus wrote:The main things to capture here are the emotive playing, bits of freestyle here and there and the tone :D
You make it sound so easy!

Anyway, i like the track, and i can see this one giving me a bit of trouble. Arpeggios (atleast this type) aren't my exactly my forté. But hey, that's why we're here right?
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

This is the sort of thing I get to practice day in and day out with Muse stuff, so I'm pretty much ready to record already <hears groans of dissent>, so if I can help out with any technique advice on bits giving you trouble, let me know... Also, that tab of the solo is a piece of crap so I'll tab you out a proper version tomorrow.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Never heard any muse before. Probably because of that the comment about emotive playing made me think this was going to be a piece of cake, but I see I was wrong. :oops: This one is going to take a while. :D
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Nice choice; not my favourite off the album (it's that hyperactive tambourine in the chorus) but it's Muse nonetheless! I'm going to have to make an effort with this one after my previous no-show.
Shame there's no midi, I'll have a go with it too Icebus if you don't have much luck. :)
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

I've generated a decent drum loop for the verse and intro, but fruity loops is being crap and not letting me export it as a midi... Any chance you can have a look at what I've done so far and let me know what you think? Fruity Loop

I wondered about picking Hysteria (I already know TSP and TIRO...) but thought this was a more typical Muse picking pattern ;)
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Awwwwww... That's just a wee bit too nostalgic for me. Seriously, now that the GPG has a dedicated forum and all the threads are visible at once, I've been skimming through some old GPG threads and I almost have a tear in my eye thinking about what the GPG has done to me over the past year. Oh, I remember my first attempts... when I had the wrong tuning in my very first recording, and when I could hardly hold a pick, much less use it. I know I've come a long, long way, even if I still haven't even begun getting where I want to be. And I owe much of my progress to excellent hints, tips, and criticism offere here.

However, I'm utterly pissed off that I hadn't noticed that the very first GPG that you guys did was Back In Black. That was supposed to be my next choice. :) Oh well, there's still a couple of good tunes waiting to be learned.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Feel free to choose Back In Black... Ben and I weren't exactly virtuosos back then :D
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Well, it wouldn't be much of a surprise if I chose it now. :) Besides, I've already set my mind on a different song, but I might take BiB at a later stage. Mind you, my next choice is quite an epic, and pretty challenging too, for that matter. \\m// :wink:
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

I promise, I promise, I promise, that once I get something like this

I will start trying GPG again, and I might even go back over the previous ones to try and catch up a bit/practice. Still pissed off that I couldn't get Mayonaise done.

The New Era Of Kajun. :D
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Code: Select all

Chorus

scares the hell out of me, and the end is all i can see
e---11--11--11------10--10--10--10-------
b---13--11--13------11--10--11--12------
g---12--12--10------10--11--10--12-------
d------------------------------------------
a-----------------------------------------
e-------------------------------------------

.........yeah eyeah,eyeah eyeah,eyeah eyeah,owoaw, oeow, oeow
e---11--11--11------10--10--11--11--10--11--11--11--10
b---13--11--13------11---9---11--11--11--10--11--11--11
g---12--12--10------10--10--12--11--10--10--12--11--10
d------------------------------------------------------------------
a---------------------------------------------------------------------
e------------------------------------------------------------------

Note the correction to the 5th chord of the chorus. And here's a correct tab of the solo by me ;) Solo (note perfect, excuse the crap timing ;))

Also, here are some simple fairly clean sound samples of the verse and chorus to help out with timing. These are a bit slower than tempo to let you hear what's happening.

Verse
Chorus
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

One basic backing-track now available here! (4.6Mb MP3).

A tempo of 88bpm, and includes bass and drums. Because I haven't had the chance to learn/play along the guitar parts yet, I'm not entirely sure all the timing/breaks/bassline are okay, so if you're familiar with the guitar already could you check it's all correct and at the right tempo? Or just if you reckon the snare should be louder etc etc. Then I can iron out any mistakes and repost it up asap.
Unfortunately it would be a major task to get it into MIDI form from Fruityloops so it'll have to come by MP3.

The drum breaks themselves are the essence of the original :D - v.difficult to get them sounding remotely similar, but they're not too bad. Quite pleased with the bit before the solo. Oh, I did leave out the final ending drum roll thing :?.

FYI there's no reverb on the drums or bass, left that up to yourselves. I've given it a hefty dollop of compression to smooth it all out quickly, but I've saved it a low volume so you can mix with it easier.

If you want just the drum-track and no bass or them separately (couldn't really find a closer sounding soundfont - anyone got a better one?) then let me know.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

It's not letting me download it, I'm getting some leech warning JPG...
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

IceBus wrote:It's not letting me download it, I'm getting some leech warning JPG...
Oops. I just put ixyl in before I uploaded, so it should have been okay. Maybe it takes a while to work itself out, but it worked for me.
It should be fine now.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Ahhh it's working now :) Opinions to follow...
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Sounds awesome man, spot on :D
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Thanks. :)
I might change the bass soundfont, because that last Bb (or any of the Bbs)of the verse doesn't sound right when playing along with the tab and I think it may be the cause.

That intro's going to be hard to nail at speed methinks.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Here's my version, inspired to be finished (and or started) this evening thanks to Penfold's great backing track :D

Thought's Of A Dying Atheist - IceBus

Comments and critiques welcome as usual :)
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Penfold:
Great backing track. Thanks alot, i can really get started on this now.

Icebus:
Wicked version mate. I especially liked the solo. You almost got the sound spot on. If you had a phaser, it'd have been spot on.
Great playing though.
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Cheers Bigpops.
Icebus, that sounds great. Didn't sound like you had any problems with it, arpeggios played nicely. I love that big (2 octave ?!) Whammy divebomb in the solo :D.
Ice
Master of Melody

Post by Ice »

Cheers guys :) I tried to keep the tone as close to the live/original as possible. I tried various things for the divebomb, including one octave, two octaves, and the actually divebomb setting - finally settling on the last :D

How's everyone else getting on?
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Excellent work, Peter. The tone is good, staying very true to the original, and the playing is nice and accurate. Thumbs up.

And the bacing track is very much appreciated, I'm just hoping I can find a way to make it work.
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Here (3.6Mb) is my version.
A little messy in the choruses and I would have liked to have played the solo better, but it had to be an of-the-moment take to capture that style I feel.
Too many takes spoil the broth... or something! :D
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Vee-ree nice. Well played, good tone, no problems.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Very nice Penfold.

It makes me want to tweak my version a little. However, i'll probably leave it, as it's pub night tonight, and i stuggle like hell to remember the chorus.