[GPG] Icebus' choice - Muse - 'Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist'

A forum archive for GPG songs more than 6 months old to help keep the place tidy.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Nice one Penfold. Everything was spot on except the picking pattern, which is damn hard to nail if you're not used to Muse :) Looking forward to hearing yours BP :)
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

IceBus wrote:Nice one Penfold. Everything was spot on except the picking pattern, which is damn hard to nail if you're not used to Muse :)
Thanks all. I call it artistic licence :D = me being lazy and I couldn't really get my brain to play the high-e string first on the starting riff.
Oh, I'm quite versed in the ways of Muse; missing but 4 of the 20-odd releases from their back catalogue here (excluding those early EPs) ;)
I do have obsessive-fan-syndrome in several cases.
Ice
Master of Melody
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland... Where live music comes to die/be reborn...

Post by Ice »

Damn you... my Muse collection starts with Newborn... :) I do know pretty much every guitar based song mind you :D
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

Heh, that's my shortcoming. Have only really learnt to play the singles and the odd other track, like Recess and Coma - anything with a bit of Whammy'll float my boat. And Bedroom Acoustics is a good party piece, except that last bit. :D
Having said that, I could probably only fully play New Born from memory now - like a sieve.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

My soundcard is broken. It's obviously been broken for some time since I wasn't able to play any midis in the last GPG, but now I can't play anything. Why oh why does this always happen to me. I first thought it was a busted speaker, but it's one of the channels of my soundcard that's busted.

At least I know that this time I didn't break it with my guitar playing, since the VAmp has reduced the input level considerably. And also, recording works, it's one of the channels leaving the soundcard that's gone. I hope I still have a receipt for it. I should probably get a new one for this. I doubt I'll record since I won't exactly know if it sounds good or not, because the playback is overrun with squeals and whatnot, it's intolerable and virtually impossible to listen to any music, really. Sodding soundcards. :evil:
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

Here's my feeble attempt (well, it's not that bad )

LINK

Right, a little story about my failed attempt to buy a Strat this weekend.

I got up early, and went with a friend, to Academy of Sound. Loads of strats, everywhere.

"Got any Classic 60's or 50's Strats in?" i said.
"I'll have a look." he said.
"Thanks, i said."
"Looks like we don't." he said.
"Cha'mone." i said. ( i didn't really. I've just been overdosing on Bo'selecta! )

They didn't have any american vintage '62 reissues either :( .

So, i went somewhere else. Sound Control. Walked in, looked at their pitiful collection of Strats, and saw not one, but TWO Shell pink 60's Classics. One with a white scratchplate, the other with the aged 'mint green' one. Anyway, i tried them out. He plugged mr into this Marshall Stack, set at a pitiful volume. I play at double the volume (through my PC speakers) here in my bedroom. Terrible. The strings were dead, and i told them. They said they'd throw me a set in for £1 (on a £430 guitar, they can trow them in free). Then i noticed that there was a MASSIVE gap in the neck joint. I could get my pick in there (all 1.38mm of it). And, on both of them! All the Standard MIM Strats (which are £100 cheaper) were all snug (as is my MIM Floyd rose strat). If i'd have taken delivery of those, i'd have been spitting blood at the rep. Then there was the setup. None existent. Both were setup completely differently (if at all). The pickups were totally different heights, one had a high action, the other a low one. Neither were anywhere near in tune. One of them was around 2 tones flat, with the string flopping about all over the place.

All in all, it was a nightmare. I couldn't hear the guitar properly. THe neck joints were shocking. The never even bothered to setup, or tune the guitars. I'm damn sure they won't be getting any of my money. I was gutted though. Those two guitars looks absolutely stunning.

Roll on 2004, 50th anniversary of the Fender Stratocaster. I'm just hoping that they bring back vintage white (and other classic colours like Daphne Blue, Surf green) along the whole US Series. Either that, or they do one hell of an anniversary strat.
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune in the guitar market. :(

I have some good news though, not that it'll brighten your day up. I sort of got my soundcard to work. Well, not really, but I worked around the problem. I haven't got the time to take it to the shop where I got it at least until next weekend, so I do need to be able to listen to stuff. So it just occurred to me that I can disable the broken channels of my soundcard and be able to hear the music clearly from the others. Wow, what genius! Anyway, I don't know about recording. I just might be able to have a stab at this today, but I'm going out of town, and if I don't have the time today then it'll be thursday. Then next weekend I should be able to get the soundcard changed / fixed. The point was that I'm still in the game. :) But feel free to go on to the next one! I will get this done sooner or later.

Bigpops: I don't know how much the soundcard problems affected what I heard, but this is what I got out of yours. The midi seemed to be awful quiet, so quiet in fact that it almost seemed like you were playing without it. But that is a triviality, of course. The main picking pattern sounded weird at first, then I realised that some of the notes were just sort of drowned and couldn't be heard, at least not in the same way as in the original. This had a lot to do with the sound you used, possibly not the best choice for this sort of playing, since it drowned the arpeggios somewhat. Anyway, the solo sounded real nice for what it's worth, and altogether you did a great job, no problems playing-wise, just little trivialities I'm bringing up to be able to give even some sort of criticism. Knowing what you've done with songs before this, though, I must say that this wasn't your best showing. :P In all seriousness, though, it sounded great.
Bigpops
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by Bigpops »

You're right DGV. That'll teach me to listen to the MP3 before i upload it.

I'll remix it and re-up it (done now).
DGV
Beta-Mandarin
Beta-Mandarin

Post by DGV »

Now it's sounding considerably better. The playing itself sounded good in the first mix too as I said, but now the whole song sounds the way it should sound. It really needed the midi to stand out a bit more.

I was somewhat hesitant about my last post, since I felt it was a bit harsh considering the level of playing you were exhibiting, but I felt its more productive if I say what I honestly feel about it. So I'm glad to be able to say that you benefitted from my criticism, as to me at least this one sounded better altogether. :D
Penfold
Delta (Bokanovsky)
Delta (Bokanovsky)

Post by Penfold »

I was going to post along the similar lines that the backing was a little quiet and felt unbalanced.
The new version sounds much better.
Playing is good, you've got all the parts sounding right and the solo's a goodun. All those sounds coming from the GT6? 'Twas good stuff.

Good luck with future strat-hunting! A good example there of that old guideline to play-before-you-buy for the best result.