[MLG] 26/05/04 - Kajun's "ShurikenHadoooken!" Selection

Moderator: Thought Police

Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

[MLG] 26/05/04 - Kajun's "ShurikenHadoooken!" Selection

Post by Kajun »

We're back!

Now with stricter rules - only three tracks per week, and we'll run, as far as possible, for just a week per member. That means that according to the rota, Hanohtep should be thinking about his June 2nd picks as we speak.

This week, all tracks are of a ninjatune nature and taken from that label's sampler CD for this year, Zentertainment 2004 (also available from Amazon).

Remember, it works like this: one member nominates three songs, you've got a week to track them down, listen to them, then post your thoughts on them. The aim is to introduce people to a broader selection of music and hopefully encourage interest in some of the lesser known artists out there.

If you downloaded a track without paying for it, and you like it, remember to buy it outright.

Teh toons this week are of a slightly jazz/funky/messed up hiphoppier nature:
Get in there!
Kajun is awaiting approval.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

OK, have uploaded these three to make it easier for you. Please give 'em a go and post feedback here. :)

If the sourcing of tracks is a real problem, I can look at providing limited temporary space for a weekly anonymous upload slot.
heavy-rotation
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by heavy-rotation »

I already have them actually, will probably post my thoughts tomorrow though, as I've feel terrible all weekend (really bad cold).
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

Get some garlic and echinacea tonic down your throat. Clears it up nicely and prevents you from pulling anyone for the next month.
heavy-rotation
Thought Police
Thought Police

Post by heavy-rotation »

Well since I've totally lost my voice as well now, looks like I'll have the time to do this thing :D / :evil:

Blockhead - Insomniacs Olympics

I might be just a tiny bit biased here as I bought the record as soon as I heard it :D. Insomniac Olympics probably isn't my favourite track from this album, but I do rate the whole thing very highly. Great music for sunny days (or not :lol: ).

cLOUDDEAD - Rifle Eyes

I want to like cLOUDDEAD... but I just don't like their voices, and unfortunately music with lyrics is still 80% about the sound to me. The actual track behind their voices is fantastic though. I went and tried to find some other stuff Odd Nosdam/Why have produced without vocals because of this track though. :)

I must admit, it grows a little on me every time I hear it, but only after about 1:24.

Loka - Beginningless

Starts well, but I'm afraid it doesn't really do much for me after that. Its not bad, just a little dull.
Kajun
World Controller
World Controller

Post by Kajun »

I should add that (IMHO) Rifle Eyes is one of cLOUDDEAD's poorer offerings, but since Ninjatune in their wisdom included it on the sampler, and since I capitulated to the restrictions imposed on myself by myself, I was unable to deviate. :( 'Ten' hasn't quite got on board with me yet, but the dualities on their debut album are just fantastic. Agree with heavy-rotation, ignore the voices and the words (like we should do with most hip-hop :dg: ) and you're left with some pretty funked up jizztick.
Hanohtep
Beth Orton's Mum
Beth Orton's Mum

Post by Hanohtep »

Blockhead - Insomniacs Olympics

Kind of like this track. Funky horn section. May have to investigate further.

cLOUDDEAD - Rifle Eyes

This reminds me of something...but I don't know what. The voices aren't that annoying and the the lyrics are obscure if nothing else. I don't hate it....if I listened to it enough I may actually develop a liking for it. As you say, the music is groovy.

Loka - Beginningless

Hmm, I think I disgree with heavy on this one. This is my favourite out of the three tracks. I like.
hanohtep is saying is that the material world doesn't work that way
"Goat Boy is here to please you..."